Callaway RAZR X & RAZR X-Tour Irons

Nice Rhino!!!!! I found they produce some of the best iron shots of my life!

I have a little recap from Friday's 9 hole adventure:

Date: 9/2
Conditions: 90 ish with some wind. Sunny though!
Handicap: After updating my rounds I'm at a 15.3. I started somewhere around mid 16's so a nice drop there.
What I'm looking to test: I'm going to start keeping track of GIR's and if I miss, exactly where. My score is an indicator but I'm finding even if I hit more greens.... I still can't putt consistantly haha.

Hole #1: I put my drive way right and have 128 to the middle according to my GPS. My PW is usually 125-130 so I pulled it out. I hit it real solid and carried the flag and into the left rough. Ended up with a bogey. Observations... Distance is climbing every so often with these clubs and my draw with the low irons has turned into a straighter ball.

Hole #2: 514 yard par 5. I put my drive right (need to start playing that shot!) and I have a bad angle to the hole so I figure put it to about 150 and Ill be good. It actually worked, nailed my 3 hyrbid to a great spot and have 148 to the middle of the green. I set up with my 8i, and hit a nice little draw. Unfortunately my set up was left and I ended up left. A little more than pin high. Ended up with a bogey. Observations: My iron distances are easy to rely on and more reliable than I've ever had.

Hole #3: I hit a low screamer off the tee and have 162 left to the middle of the green. Just a slight breeze behind me and I set up for a draw. Let me explain why, I'm not a good straight baller, setting up for a draw is natural and something I have a ton of confidence in. Just easier because I can consistantly set up more for a draw than a straightball. Even fades are easier. Anyway, I leave my shot right haha. Observations: But my 7i was on point. I put it above the pin just to the left. I hit it straight just couldnt get it to draw.

Hole #4[B/]:490 yard par 5 I didnt use my Razr X's on.... Bogey train continues!

Hole #5 : 161 yard par 3. GPS has 162 to the middle which is where the flag was. I pull out my 7i (155-160) and decide to draw it. lol. I'm having fun with this stuff. Once OEM showed me how to hit a draw, I learned that is pretty much my stock set up. So I know what it is. Anyway, I don't draw it as much as Im planning but I leave it pin high just off the green. Bogey! Observations.... Knowing why you're hitting helps tremendously but I cannot get over the consistantcy of the irons at this point. I need to be more accurate but now that I'm hitting shots consistantly that is next.

Hole #6 351 yard par 4.... I pop my drive up and left haha. Im behind the trees and you guessed it, my only shot is to draw it in over the smaller trees. I'm 152 to the center and really only can hit my 8i. If I hit my 7, Ill hit it over the green and into the bunkers.... Crush my 8i out of the rough, draw it nicely and land on the green. I just couldnt believe it. Now, I shouldve played my second shot (I hit a shot just for kicks and caught the cartpath haha) but I was extremely happy with this one. I 3 putted fo bogey though haha ObservationsEven out of the rough these Razr X's shine. I lost a little bit of distance but I was happy with the results. In fact is was just a touch of carry but my rollout evened things out.

Hole #7 I only used my Razr X 6i to punch out of some trouble. Got it right into the middle of the fairway. I've having just a touch of trouble keeping it really low on the punch shots but I've still managed to avoid hitting tree limbs.

Hole #8 Scorecard gives 171 but the hole was playing 185. Didnt hit the razr x irons just a hybrid. I put it ijnto the water and decided to hit my 3rd from the tee box. Hit it 10 feet and missed my bogey putt. damn haha.

Hole #9 its short but a lot of trouble. 363. Hit my hybrid and I'm left with 128 to the middle. I pull out my PW and set up for a normal shot lol. I kill it! Too bad I was aimed left. I still ended up on the green and right around 130 yards again with this club. It was a solid shot. I once again 3putt for a bogey Observations I'm starting to straighten out my short irons and its paying off big time. Now if I could just get my putter going...

Overall: The biggest thing I took away from today, smooth swing with uniflex equals a consistant distance. That's important for me righ tnow. I dont care if my irons are longer or shorter than others, but if I can continue to build on consistant distances, my scores will start dropping a lot. My putter was off and that isnt normal. or it could be. I figure the more greens I hit the more my putts will go up. I'm going to work on alignment and set up this week and will go from there. I play tomorrow so ill try some things then too. This may sound like over the top, but I having so much fun and really finding more to lvoe about these irons each time out. At times I know I put too much spin (according to what some would think is optimal) but I'm hitting htem well.

Good stuff Yoccs!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Nice write up Yoc.

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Real nice update, Yoc. These irons are legit and I wish more folks would try them. Sadly they don't say TaylorMade or Titleist on them and they get bypassed one way or the other.

Good stuff Yoccs!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Nice write up Yoc.

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

ThanKs fellas. I'm hitting them well just gotta get some putts to fall. I think Callaway has some of the best irons out.

Nice update TMex. When you say draw can you say the OEM draw? Haha I kid brochacha.

Nice update TMex. When you say draw can you say the OEM draw? Haha I kid brochacha.

Lol. It shall be done. In honor of you. The OEMD. Workabilitied that beyosh!!!

Date: 9/5
Conditions: Hot with some clouds haha. More wind than normal. I'm not good at MPH but it was enough to knock my ball around.
What I'm Testing: How close I am to the green and where I'm missing. For the sake of it, I'm going to include some hybrid action in here too.

Hole #1: 220 left into this par 5. The ball is well below my feet and I figure take my 3h and get it close. I put my 3h just short of the uphill green and I roll off to the right. My normal fade was just exaggerated enough but I still ended up with a par! Distance was good and so was my contact. Im hitting a fade with the hybrids right now but its definitely consistant! Ill have to get some video of the sound of these. It just feels/sounds hot off the face. I really like the shallow hybrids.

Hole #2: I have about 150 left to green. My 8i is my 150 club. There is definitely some wind but I still feel the 8i is my best shot. Solid contact, nice high ballflight that lands just short of the green. I was maybe a couple feet off. the wind caught my ball a little more than I thought it would. This was something I discussed with my fitter at the CPC though.

Hole #3: The hole was listed at 129 on the scorecard but the pin was on the rght of the green, and you water both front and back. Not a very big landing spot. To the middle was 140. Wind in my face.. 140 is my 9i and you'd think I learned from the the last time. Nope! I leave this about 2 yards off the front of the green. The wind just ate the ball up. My normal ballflight, but I do generate a lot of spin with the uniflex shafts and at times it hurts. Mix that with wind and I'm in for trouble. Made great contact though!

Hole #4: 140 left to the hole... I'm in the rough and Bunkers just surrounding the pin. I pull out my 9i haha. Man, you'd think I'd learn. Still wind in my face. Any solid shot with some great contact. it just kicks my ball into the right bunker just short of the pin had I carried. I still maintain an 8 wouldvebeen too much. I thought the Razr X did a great job getting the ball out because it wasn't sitting up. At times these perform wonderfully out of the rough.

Hole #5: I have about 135 left to hole. But I'm sitting in between a bunker, above my feet. I take my 9, choke up and go to work. I thought I made good contact but boy did the ball go left on me. I knew it was going too but it did a little more than i thought. Into a bunker! I was in thick rough as well and this is just one of the times I should've wedged out. While the Razr X is great in most rough, if its deep and thick, its average compared to other clubs I've hit out of the thick stuff.

Hole #6 No Razr X love here... Just some JAWS!

Hole #7: Wedge in again haha.

Hole #8: This hole always eats me up. ALWAYS. its shot but you have to hit the green. 110 out. AW time! All I want to do is hit on the green. My AW is not my most consistant on full shots. I didnt want to hit a full AW because the green was shallow so I take a shorter swing. I put it about pin high but pulled it! Still hit the green but I 3 putted ha.

Hole #9: Ive got 215 left to the flag. I'm sitting behind a tree. I have 3 options.. Hit a layup, go right and hope to draw over the water... or hit a fade by going left of the trees. Well, I've been hitting a fade with my 3h time to play it! I nailed the shot. I only have about 15 feet left for eagle. The hybrids have just been lighting it up for me lately.

Hole #10: left with 115 in. AW for me. Ball is below my feet which I absolutely hate. I don't get great contact and push the ball right. Still about pin high but just to the right of the flag just off the green.

Hole #11: I'm in deep rough. 145 out into the wind. The lightswitch hits... club up half a club. 8i. What I really dig about these clubs (another thing) is they arent odd distances and it works out well. Anyway, I hit this ball fat and trap it. left we go! I thought for sure I was in the water but I stopped just short. Now the good thing was my distance didnt suffer a whole lot. Still close enough and just missed my up and down for par.

Hole #12: Wedge in!

Hole #13: This hole was playing 165 yard but up hill. Wind pushing our shots to the right. Pull out my 6i. I definitely need to club up. I just let up on my swing and don't catch it flush. The shot leaked right on me and pushed me into a bunker. I was pin high though. Right club but just didnt execute. The nice thing was being pin high my bunker shot wasnt tough. When you talk about how far your shots stray on mishits some clubs are just punishing. These irons really do a fantastic job of keeping the shots within the realm of the green.

Hole #14: I have 160 ish in which is a 7i for me. I didnt care if I was short because that is where I'd rather be on most of these holes. FAT. haha, at this point my swing is getting loose with the irons but great with the driver. I still end up with bogey but a missed opportunity. I lost about 30 yards on this one. Which is unusual for me. Not the iron at all because it was really fat!

Hole#15: The pin is 151. I pulled out my 8i. Great contact! I just pulled it haha. Into the left bunker. High ballflight thatseemed to land nice in the sand :)

Hole #16: The wind ate my drive and I was left with 160. I planned on a 7i. A couple of things, wind just ate my drive so i knew it had to be a big 7i or I couldve just hit a 6 and been a little long but most likely not long at all. I really try and go too hard with this 7i. With the uniflex shafts, if I keep a good somewhat slow (which is my swing) tempo, they're amazing. But I cannot step on these shafts. I do not know why I bother. Even if I could step on the shafts, I shouldnt. FAT. Really fat haha. I end up with my first double on this side. Again, not a attribute of the iron, but I just know I cant go hard on these shafts.

Hole #17: No irons here :)

Hole #18: I have about 105 yards left and a little downhill. My AW is not a 105 yard club but I'm kinda stuck. If I try and knock down, Ill hit right into a tree. A rope hook me wouldve been a good option but I'm no where near ready for that. I hit my AW. I put a bad swing on it, still ended up pin high but about 10 feet off the green to the right.

Overall: I had some bad shots but the thing is they were something I could work with. The irons are just amazing with it comes to the forgiveness especially when you're talking how far off line you get. That's important. Especially when you're working to keep your shots in play even if you arent hitting the green. The feel of a well struck shot is something I still can't get over. Crisp sounding/feeling and they just give the turf all they can handle. The thick rough is still a mystery but in time. I'm seriously considering new shafts for these. While I really like the ballflight, I know I'm putting too much backspin and at times it can hurt. or I could just club up :)

Great recap Tmex! I love the way you hit these irons and I think a shaft change might help you out a little more. What are you thinking of going with?

Great info, Yoc. It sounds like you have the same problem with learning to club up that I've had in the past. I think I let my ego beat my brain. I've been working really hard on changing that, but it's hard.

Great info, Yoc. It sounds like you have the same problem with learning to club up that I've had in the past. I think I let my ego beat my brain. I've been working really hard on changing that, but it's hard.

that is something I have really worked hard on this year. Club up and take some off. The MC's really forced me to work on that and it carried over to the Razr X irons as well.

That is something I had been working on with my coach, know the different distances with each club and if you at the upper range of a club, there is no need to try to nuke it, instead take an easier swing with one club higher. Gotta get the numbers down with the Razrs and then will work on the same thing with them.

Rather than "club up and take some off", I suggest "club up and grip down". I find that much easier.

BTW, loving all the feedback on the RAZR X and RAZR X Tours. Really has me pondering them.

Rather than "club up and take some off", I suggest "club up and grip down". I find that much easier.

BTW, loving all the feedback on the RAZR X and RAZR X Tours. Really has me pondering them.

This is what I do and it works very well for me.

Great recap Tmex! I love the way you hit these irons and I think a shaft change might help you out a little more. What are you thinking of going with?

KBS Tours! I really liked the feel but the PX 5.5 Flighted was recommended and I think I'd more likely lean with those. The KBS felt a little better though. Less boardy I mean.

that is something I have really worked hard on this year. Club up and take some off. The MC's really forced me to work on that and it carried over to the Razr X irons as well.

That is something I had been working on with my coach, know the different distances with each club and if you at the upper range of a club, there is no need to try to nuke it, instead take an easier swing with one club higher. Gotta get the numbers down with the Razrs and then will work on the same thing with them.

I've found since I play more and range less (trade the time off) I find it easier to get a feel for distances. Definitely gonna keep the club up in mind!

This is what I do and it works very well for me.

I'm definitely going to do this. I just have really been focusing on what iron goes what distance and now Ive got it. Glad you're enjoying the feedback gfb, fantastic irons that are worht the look.

exactly what I found when I was going through my shaft search.....

KBS Tours! I really liked the feel but the PX 5.5 Flighted was recommended and I think I'd more likely lean with those. The KBS felt a little better though. Less boardy I mean.

I've found since I play more and range less (trade the time off) I find it easier to get a feel for distances. Definitely gonna keep the club up in mind!

I'm definitely going to do this. I just have really been focusing on what iron goes what distance and now Ive got it. Glad you're enjoying the feedback gfb, fantastic irons that are worht the look.

exactly what I found when I was going through my shaft search.....

I actually am quite fond of the Uniflex Flighted feel but the spin just kills it at times. I could feel the KBS unload much like the Uni's which was great. The PX was more like hitting with a board. Not bad at all and I liked what I saw but it was just different.

yeha man, KBS' spining of the shaft reallt lets you feel the transition of power and lets you feel the sfat unoad a bit more. I'm by no means a shaft expert but I found these things to be the main factors in going with the KBS shafts for me in my irons and wedges

I actually am quite fond of the Uniflex Flighted feel but the spin just kills it at times. I could feel the KBS unload much like the Uni's which was great. The PX was more like hitting with a board. Not bad at all and I liked what I saw but it was just different.

yeha man, KBS' spining of the shaft reallt lets you feel the transition of power and lets you feel the sfat unoad a bit more. I'm by no means a shaft expert but I found these things to be the main factors in going with the KBS shafts for me in my irons and wedges

I have a feeling these paired with the Razr X's could equal bette rthan tquitos.

don't I know dude. I love these irons

You were hitting some beautiful shots. You arent have any issues adjusting from a more players type iron and although i've only played a couple rounds with you, I definitely saw a difference with iron shots. You hit the really good before but these were just awesome.

Unfortunately I have had to go the last week or so without these irons since one of the shafts broke. That will be fixed next week. I really miss them. Since then I have played rounds with Taylorlmade TP MCs and Ping i10s. While the MCs feel great, I don't get the same consistent result that I do from the Razr X irons. The extra forgiveness gives me more confidence that I can walk up to the ball, set up and hit. They are much more predictable than the other 2 sets that I have been playing. Not only are they more forgiving, but they are longer. I think they have everything in an iron that I want and I can't wait to get them back in my bag.

Got the Razr X irons at the end of last season, and thought it was about time to leave a few thoughts. The market moves so fast nowadays, that I wonder how relevant it actually is, but here goes anyway.

I play to around a 20, and was coming off the Mizuno MP53's. I knew going in that they'd be a challenge for me, and in the end I had to surrender and find something more GI oriented. After a bunch of testing I ended up with a set of 5-SW standard Razr X's, with stiff stock shafts (uniflex). Have to say it was a good decision. No buyers remorse here for sure. I do still miss my 53 PW on occasion, but tbh that's mostly because I loved the look of it.

Really can't think of anything bad to say about the Razr's. The looks don't wow me, but they ain't ugly either imo. Wasn't too sure how I'd like getting stronger lofts, as my ballflight has always been on the low side. That hasn't been a problem at all. In fact I love all the clubs of the set. To the point that the SW has replaced my trusted CG15 54*, and seeing as I really loved that club, thats saying a lot. They are plenty forgiving. It's so nice to have a 5i again that I can depend upon. That was the main reason for my switch. Some days when standing over the MP53 5i on a par 3, I just knew it might be a recipe for disaster. All around the course, I'd subconsciously start to grab shorter irons simply to increase the odds of a succesful shot. Such thought have vanished by now. Even considering getting a hold of a 3 and 4 just to check out how they'd perform. Also I'm pretty happy with the feel they provide on a well struck shot. It was just what I'd been looking for really. It's nice with that little reward, a gentle sort of resonance shooting up into my hands. Hard to describe, other than to say it's just the way I like it.

Hence, I hereby recommend giving these a try if your in the market for a high quality forgiving set of irons.

Thanks for the update. I think these are really underrated irons.

Back