Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

The last five rounds I averaged 26.8 putts per round. A combination of good chipping and good putting. I made some nice long ones for birdies.

Wow that is awesome Sean!

Hey buddy, I saw an interesting article in one of the golf magazines a couple of months ago about that very issue, it stressed a long follow through toward the hole, just take your normal stroke and double the amount of follow through as if you are chasing the ball with your putter and see if that helps, I have a buddy that it really did wonders for on his short putts. Let me know.

Just the opposite for me, instead of long follow through, I try to keep the putter head low on the follow through. As I said earlier in this thread, I am going back to basics putting while using a ghost spider and it seems to be paying off. 28 putts today with no three putts but still left three putts a couple of inches short that were headed right in the center of the hole.

I haven't been able to post in here for a while due to MC obligations and not keeping track of stats while at the MC, but I have a round on friday and will update then. There may even be a new putter in my bag at that point.

ive just finished bob rotellas putting out of your mind book. first round on sunday so will report back how it goes with my new "putt to make it" attitude..

ive just finished bob rotellas putting out of your mind book. first round on sunday so will report back how it goes with my new "putt to make it" attitude..

I am interested in how you do B_g, I have thought about buying that book myself.

I've been working really hard on my putting lately, and with a putter change combined with that work, I had 29 putts yesterday! I did have two 3 putts, but I also made a lot of long putts and the stroke just felt really good. With the BB1 in play I just feel confident within 10 feet and thats important to me. I really feel I have made big strides in my putting, and I think its going to show in my scores really soon.

I've been working really hard on my putting lately, and with a putter change combined with that work, I had 29 putts yesterday! I did have two 3 putts, but I also made a lot of long putts and the stroke just felt really good. With the BB1 in play I just feel confident within 10 feet and thats important to me. I really feel I have made big strides in my putting, and I think its going to show in my scores really soon.

That is important to everyone cb, glad to hear you are so comfortable with the new flatstick. Keep us posted buddy.

Excellent work CB! Before you know you'll have to change this to the averaging 25 putts per round thread.

Another round yesterday that could have been so much more. 35 putts but that's not the whole story. 13 chips/sand shots also for a combined 48 strokes. I continue to see over and over that if that combined number is 40 or less, I would break 80 nearly every time out.

played 2 rounds today this morning my putting was really really good i had 32 putts with only 1 3 putt. second round i had 35 putts but it was raining pretty hard during the back 9. my chipping is getting better which has helped but i had a good amount of GIR with 1 putts for me anyway. my putting lesson at Golftec has really helped me dial in my putting a little more but im still trying to get a consistent proper putting stroke. Practice makes perfect and after this hurricane rolls through ill be back at it.

well, played today and had 36 putts.

now, i have to say, although i didnt reduce my average putts, the number of putts that shaved the hole and had chances, then left me inches for the 2nd were numerous. even on longer putts i hit them to hole them and didnt worry about anything else. yes i had a few longer return putts, but i made nearly all of them..

so, i will withold judgement on the success of the book until another couple of rounds, but i do think it made a difference today to my attitude on the greens.

well, played today and had 36 putts.

now, i have to say, although i didnt reduce my average putts, the number of putts that shaved the hole and had chances, then left me inches for the 2nd were numerous. even on longer putts i hit them to hole them and didnt worry about anything else. yes i had a few longer return putts, but i made nearly all of them..

so, i will withold judgement on the success of the book until another couple of rounds, but i do think it made a difference today to my attitude on the greens.

sounds like my putting right now Brian G... im happy with it but i know im getting closer to getting a lot better. keep burning those edges.

Played my local chip and putt this morning and shot even par for the 9 most holes are 90-120 yards. saved a lot of pars with missed GIR with close chips im finally getting a feel for my half wedge and chip shots i never used to do that and my instructor opened my eyes a lot in my past few lessons and now im really getting my feel for these new shots it feels so good. putting was really good today too. missed quite a few putts but it was really really wet and i had great lines just left them a couple inches short. playing this afternoon hope i keep up my great short game. i wanna break 34 putts this afternoon.

my warm up must have worked this morning cause i was on fire this afternoon.. i shot 5 over par my chipping and putting was the best its ever been. Creamed my old low putting record for a round which was 34 with only 29 putts today!!!!! 8 one putts and 1 three jack. the 3 putt was on the first hole i was really nervous i was playing the the owner of the course and some other VERY good golfers. what a great feeling now i have to keep this up so my average putts are at 30.

My game has been improving a lot, but weirdly my putts per round hasn't gone down much, still around 34-35. However, I have been hitting a LOT more GIR, and been sinking 3-5 6+ foot putts, which I never sank before. Love this weird game.

I had a rough day putting Saturday on a course with bent grass. It was downright terrible. I know I missed six or seven putts that I should have made. I haven't been practicing like I was early in this thread. I guess it's something you have to keep doing if you are really serious about getting better. I have a tournament for the next two days and my confidence is low. I hear the greens are slick as ever. I will be on the putting green for quite a while in the morning.

Does anyone here plumb bob? The girls have been trying to teach me but I'm not too convinced that it works. Maybe a little convinced but not totally. Thoughts?

I had a rough day putting Saturday on a course with bent grass. It was downright terrible. I know I missed six or seven putts that I should have made. I haven't been practicing like I was early in this thread. I guess it's something you have to keep doing if you are really serious about getting better. I have a tournament for the next two days and my confidence is low. I hear the greens are slick as ever. I will be on the putting green for quite a while in the morning.

Does anyone here plumb bob? The girls have been trying to teach me but I'm not too convinced that it works. Maybe a little convinced but not totally. Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about the struggles KB, but you will have it back quickly. I used to plumb bob the line, kind of forgot about it and guess I need to try again.

31 for me today with two 3 putts on the back nine. I think I putted well, just had some crazy spots for the flags. Miss a little and the ball was gone.

Sorry to hear about the struggles KB, but you will have it back quickly. I used to plumb bob the line, kind of forgot about it and guess I need to try again.

31 for me today with two 3 putts on the back nine. I think I putted well, just had some crazy spots for the flags. Miss a little and the ball was gone.

Thanks Duey. Most of my misses were to the right. Any ideas? Peeking?

Thanks Duey. Most of my misses were to the right. Any ideas? Peeking?

Or the ball position. Are you creeping it forward a touch?

Tap,Tap,Tap

Or the ball position. Are you creeping it forward a touch?

Tap,Tap,Tap

Not sure - I will pay attention when i practice tomorrow. I was thinking I was peeking but I really tried hard not to. It has to be something simple for it to be so often. I think I'm finishing my stroke too but it could be a deceleration thing. I'll try moving it back/forth a tad to see if I can figure out the right place. I usually put it just forward of center.

I plumb bob most of my putts KB and it is fairly effective I think. I will say this - if plumb bobbing is all you do and you don't walk around the putt and look at it from all sides it is not great, I use it mostly to verify what I am thinking about the break and it works pretty well.

I plumb bob most of my putts KB and it is fairly effective I think. I will say this - if plumb bobbing is all you do and you don't walk around the putt and look at it from all sides it is not great, I use it mostly to verify what I am thinking about the break and it works pretty well.

I agree with that. I think it helped me on some putts that I was indecisive on and I actually made one that was about 15' after reading it correctly using that method. I probably wouldn't have figured it out otherwise. I've just got to get my alignment right now. Maybe it was just a bad day and it will be all good tomorrow!

Not sure - I will pay attention when i practice tomorrow. I was thinking I was peeking but I really tried hard not to. It has to be something simple for it to be so often. I think I'm finishing my stroke too but it could be a deceleration thing. I'll try moving it back/forth a tad to see if I can figure out the right place. I usually put it just forward of center.

When I peek my miss is generally left, but not finishing the stroke is right. Maybe just a little more upright, that helps me release better. Good luck.

Tap,Tap,Tap

whats a plumb bob?

When I peek my miss is generally left, but not finishing the stroke is right. Maybe just a little more upright, that helps me release better. Good luck.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Hmmmm, I've been bending over more, maybe that's it. I will try that. Thanks Duey!!!!!!

Back