To much loft on my Driver?

bbhockey19

Reaction score
I am hitting a 11.5 degree R9 Supertri. As a beginner golfer, I usually hit my driver very well. 250+ on every drive. Lately I have had trouble hitting it. either slicing or hooking it. Any thoughts on switching to a 10.5 loft?

What makes you think loft is the culprit?

If everything is equal, more loft isn't going to make your ball have more sidespin than a lower lofted driver.

Id say the problem is likely more than shaft than it is the loft. Loft alone shouldnt make you start putting crazy sidespin on the ball.

Lower loft should decrease your spin some but loft isn't the issue with sidespin. The amount of backspin, not sidespin, is dictated by loft, among other things. What flex shaft are you hitting? If you have the swingspeed to hit 250+ yard drives as a beginner I'd say go find a demo day or a pro shop with a launch monitor & have your driver spin analyzed. Sidespin is a product of an open or closed face at impact, an in-to-out/out-to-in swingplane issue, or a combination of the two.

*Spin em long*

Id say the problem is likely more than shaft than it is the loft. Loft alone shouldnt make you start putting crazy sidespin on the ball.

I have my new driver which is a Titliest 10.5 set on 11.5 cut to 44 inches with a #3 Titilest weight. I bought the weight kit separate. Anyways I am hitting the ball straighter and farther than anytime in the last 10 years. Maybe ever. I love the shaft I have in this driver as it works perfect for my swing.

Stiff Shaft

I agree with the guys saying to change the shaft. Get a shaft that is more tip stiff.

I still dont know how this is a a loft issue. Big slices and/or hooks are not a loft issue. Spin issue maybe, but that is not side spin relevant really.
And while shaft fitting could assist, I would be willing to guess that this is a swing issue more than it is an equipment issue.

I still dont know how this is a a loft issue. Big slices and/or hooks are not a loft issue. Spin issue maybe, but that is not side spin relevant really.
And while shaft fitting could assist, I would be willing to guess that this is a swing issue more than it is an equipment issue.

Wrong it's never the swing sir.

When I had a lesson a while back, my course pro said that you wouldn't be losing the ball left or right if you're not playing a stiff enough shaft. You would be losing it up or down. Like others have said it's probably a swing issue

I agree. I would get some lessons with a PGA teaching pro and then go through a fitting. Need to fix the swing before making changes to the club.

There is no correct loft for every swing. Different lofts in drivers exist so that we can be matched or fitted to the loft that maximizes the optimal launch angle for each of us.

Last edited:
Should get on a launch monitor in any case. Hard to discuss what loft to pick without knowing your data.

Back