TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

I wish I could help you, but I was fit to the Project X 5.5 (non flighted. I dont see any ballooning, but have a pretty consistent trajectory.

I have always been pretty long with my irons, but its the direction that I need to keep working on :banghead:

I took a bit of a gamble on with my VDR grips, but I am really liking them so far. The Multi-Compound was my #2 choice, but my last set seemed to get slick over the winter.

The VDR's tend to scare me away since they seem to be an updated tour velvet. I have always had problems gripping those (very sweaty hands) and I feel like the VDR's would be the exact same.

The VDR's tend to scare me away since they seem to be an updated tour velvet. I have always had problems gripping those (very sweaty hands) and I feel like the VDR's would be the exact same.

I thought the same exact thing and have the same exact issue. I have even been considering going to 2 gloves when it is 95* with 90% humidity

As my swing gets better, so does my love for these irons. I'm still only hitting a 6i about 150 but I'm very confident standing over the ball with them, even the 4i I can hit solidly every time. The PW and AW are money for me. The shafts are fine stock. I don't love the grips, especially the alignment line you can feel, but have learned to ignore as that's not what I focus on when setting up.

I had another range session with these yesterday. With my new swing, I'm as dialed in as ever, and I've never hit irons that feel this amazing. Still working the ball however I please, and my distance is still exceptional. I couldn't be happier with these irons, and can't wait to get out and play soon.

In regards to the shaft question, I didn't get the stock shaft but rather the Project X Flighted shafts which are amazing.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

I've read that the Burner 85 shafts are flighted and designed to give the higher lofted irons a lower trajectory.

Do you guys find this to be true?

Any other comments on the Burner shafts?

I know TC loved the stock shaft, so much that he has stated he wouldn't put aftermarket shafts in the 2.0's. TC is the THP shaft expert and I really value his opinion. He hit them for nearly a year and loved them. I don't have the stock shaft, so I can really only give you the aftermarket side of it...

I had R9's before the 2.0's with the 90 gram KBS shaft in them. I had a problem with balooning, and there were some days I just couldn't keep the ball down. I know it isn't apples to apples, but the 120g KBS Tour shaft in the 2.0 has seemed to keep the ball down for me and I am very happy. I have seen increased distance and slightly lower ball flight, which is exactly what I have been looking for. The extra weight feels really good to me and I feel like I know more where the clubface is at all times and have a bit more control.

I've had these irons for a few months. I had to change my swing and stance a bit to compensate for the longer shaft, and it wasn't easy at all. But, on average the ball can go 10-30 yards more. This isn't always a good thing.

A few days ago I was on a 158 Par 3, simple hole with the green over water. I decided to use a 7i, my ball went 15 yards over the green. I wasn't happy. With my old irons, of 10 years, I would always hit a 6i and it would make the green perfect. Now, my 6i hits between 180-200.

Great for the range, not so great on the course.

I have contemplated getting the R11 driver though, look forward to seeing comparisons.

I've read that the Burner 85 shafts are flighted and designed to give the higher lofted irons a lower trajectory.

Do you guys find this to be true?

Any other comments on the Burner shafts?

I have the stock shafts, and I do not find this to be true at all. I hit the ball very high, and still longer than I have in the past. I can honestly say that there is nothing I do not like about these irons from looks to performance. They're just made very well.

I know TC loved the stock shaft, so much that he has stated he wouldn't put aftermarket shafts in the 2.0's. TC is the THP shaft expert and I really value his opinion. He hit them for nearly a year and loved them. I don't have the stock shaft, so I can really only give you the aftermarket side of it...

I had R9's before the 2.0's with the 90 gram KBS shaft in them. I had a problem with balooning, and there were some days I just couldn't keep the ball down. I know it isn't apples to apples, but the 120g KBS Tour shaft in the 2.0 has seemed to keep the ball down for me and I am very happy. I have seen increased distance and slightly lower ball flight, which is exactly what I have been looking for. The extra weight feels really good to me and I feel like I know more where the clubface is at all times and have a bit more control.

I'm glad you brought up the R9's because I'm playing them now with the KBS 90's. And I'm not completely sold on the shafts. I went ahead and ordered a set of burner 2.0 shaft pulls to put in the R9's.

Basically, I'm trying to get the best of all worlds. I want the distance of the 2.0's with the looks and consistency of the R9's. I had the R9s bent to match the lofts of the Burners and now will be putting the Burner shafts in.

We'll see what the results are soon. I should be receiving the shafts tomorrow.

I have the stock shafts, and I do not find this to be true at all. I hit the ball very high, and still longer than I have in the past. I can honestly say that there is nothing I do not like about these irons from looks to performance. They're just made very well.

I have never been as comfortable with a set of irons as I am with the 2.0. I love the stock shaft, the lightness really works for my swing - has easily added 10-15 yards per stick. Pure hits just feel heavenly.

I've certainly had many low trajectory 9i shots on-course that looked like they were going to scream past par3 greens, yet somehow touched down AND stopped despite the accute angle. I also played a strong 8i into a strong head-on wind last round, to a 160-170 yard par3. Sadly the wind killed my distance, as it had done to my better playing partner, but my ball was straighter, lower and more penetrating han his.

Went to the range yesterday after work, and started out a little shaky. I literally topped 7 shots in a row, and I had not topped a single shot with these since I have had them. I even topped 2 half swings. I decided to take a step back, and really focus on hitting a golf shot. No more swings just to loosen up. I picked out my target, walked up to my ball, and literally said out loud, "Aha, there it is", took my swing, and BOOM!!! Right back in the groove. I just had to move the ball a little in my stance, and until I backed away, I just kept pulling balls to the same spot, and getting an awful result. I went through my range session, and was just crushing everything, and, everything was right on target. Got to the 5 iron, and really hit a couple very well, and some with the fade that I have talked about previously. I still can't seem to find any consistancy with it. Pulled the 4, and hit 1 really pure. 220 yards, and dead straight. If I could do that consistantly, I would be ecstatic. Unfortunately, I can't...yet! I am working really hard right now, because I know if I can get the 4 and 5 straightened out it will help me tremendously on long par 3's, long par 4's, and short par 5's. Overall, still, just thrilled with how well these irons perform.

Went to the range yesterday after work, and started out a little shaky. I literally topped 7 shots in a row, and I had not topped a single shot with these since I have had them. I even topped 2 half swings. I decided to take a step back, and really focus on hitting a golf shot. No more swings just to loosen up. I picked out my target, walked up to my ball, and literally said out loud, "Aha, there it is", took my swing, and BOOM!!! Right back in the groove. I just had to move the ball a little in my stance, and until I backed away, I just kept pulling balls to the same spot, and getting an awful result. I went through my range session, and was just crushing everything, and, everything was right on target. Got to the 5 iron, and really hit a couple very well, and some with the fade that I have talked about previously. I still can't seem to find any consistancy with it. Pulled the 4, and hit 1 really pure. 220 yards, and dead straight. If I could do that consistantly, I would be ecstatic. Unfortunately, I can't...yet! I am working really hard right now, because I know if I can get the 4 and 5 straightened out it will help me tremendously on long par 3's, long par 4's, and short par 5's. Overall, still, just thrilled with how well these irons perform.

It's funny you say this Yorkem. Last week before my round I hit about 25 balls. The first few with my wedge I hit OK, then I wnt to the 2.0 9 iron. Hit 3 in a row off the hozzle (which I never do!), that went about 40 yards. Stepped back, took a deep breath and hit about 10 in a row nearly perfectly with 3 different irons. Hit a couple of Driver and headed to the course. Ended up shooting 78. If you would have asked me after those 3 early swings, I would have thought it was going to be a loooooooong day! HAHA

I sometimes have to do that too guys. Sometimes a range session starts out horrendously, so I'll just step back and get things together. Then I step up and it all feels better, and I continue normally. It's kind of weird, but it happens to most of us I would think. I'm hoping to get to the range this weekend, because the next week will be hectic since it's the first week of school. Nice updates from you all though.

I'm glad you brought up the R9's because I'm playing them now with the KBS 90's. And I'm not completely sold on the shafts. I went ahead and ordered a set of burner 2.0 shaft pulls to put in the R9's.

Basically, I'm trying to get the best of all worlds. I want the distance of the 2.0's with the looks and consistency of the R9's. I had the R9s bent to match the lofts of the Burners and now will be putting the Burner shafts in.

We'll see what the results are soon. I should be receiving the shafts tomorrow.

Just to update. I installed the burner 2.0 shafts in my r9's last night and hit the course today. I had the course to myself today and hit shot after shot to get a feel for the new setup. I was taking four shots from every spot on the course and I really like this combo.

The problem I had with the stock KBS90 was that I hit every shot left of target. I just could not hit a green with them or change my swing enough to hit them straight. The burner 2.0 shafts definitely fit m swing better. Every shot today was on line and straight. I believe the kbs shaft does not allow the shaft to droop as much as the burners and that is something I became used to from years of playing TM shafts in my old r7s.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my joy and my findings. The burner 2.0 shafts are straight and long. Very consistent also, no unexpected fliers.

2.0 Driver or Hybrid to Compliment 2.0 Irons

2.0 Driver or Hybrid to Compliment 2.0 Irons

I'm currently playing just 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW. I'm wondering what to add next for increased distance, a driver or a hybrid? (If just adding one club at present)

I've said before, when well struck, I have reached 250yards with the 4i, both on-course and at range. Well struck shots come down 20yards/club. I'm quite consistent with 6i (210) and shorter. The 4i and 5i need some practice. So I know money would be better spent on lessons at the moment... but us guys get gear lust!

I suppose it boils down to extra distance vs ease of hitting. With my 4i being potentially 250 when consistent, how likely is it that I'll achieve much more with a hybrid? My guess is the 3H would be necessary, but is surely the hardest 2.0 hybrid to hit. Whilst I know newbies find hitting a driver difficult, might I still find a driver is easier to hit to a new obvious distance gain?

I notice not many here seem to play the 2.0 driver or hybrid. Why is that? I know TM's marketing has got to me, and that I am leaning towards their clubs before comparing the competition, but probably because I did compare irons and just loved the 2.0s. So for those of you who are loving the 2.0 irons, are there strong reasons why you dont like the 2.0 driver and hybrid?

I'm actually enjoying playing just with irons, not turning every hole into a drive and a pitch, so I'm not entirely sure why I'm asking this question. But as I become more inclined to want to beat my playing partners, extra length off the tee will become advantageous. So what do you reckon next, driver or hybrid?

Last edited:
Bobby, I'm currently gaming both the 2.0 driver and 4 hybrid. I love them both.

The driver is the most accurate drivers I've played(reshafted and cut though). For me, I need to put a really bad swing on it to lose the ball. It's really forgiving on mishits in terms of distance. A small miss for me usually results in a slight push with good distance (260-270) with solid hits averaging around 290. I've seen myself hit it high off the toe and still see 230-240 in the fairway.

As for the hybrid, it's draw biased and near impossible to fade, slice and that's ok for me. Key to this club is a smooth swing, if you go at it too hard it turns into a hard draw/hook and sometimes that's good if the hole calls for it. Anytime I'm on a tight hole, this is my go to club off the tee. I get between 210-220 on average and around 190 on misshits off the toe.
It's also really good out of the rough as the shape allows it to cut through the thick stuff really well.

Hope this helps!

I played 36 on Saturday and it was a tale of two rounds. Hit the 2.0's very good in round one, and not so much in round two. My swing is a bit off right now and I have lost a little distance. My bad swings are fading with the longer irons (and driver), right now as I am coming over the top too much. I need to get into a video session to reset my swing.

It was a tourney and we had to turn our scorecards in so unfortunately, I do not have the round specifics. I hit the PW and 9 really well all day, but it was a longer course and didn't hit them as much as some of the longer irons. I had a case of the pulls with the 8, missed 3 or 4 greens left with it. My 7 iron was good, not great hit a few GIR's with it but nothing closer than 20'.

Here is where I am struggling. My 6 iron which has been one of the most consistant clubs in my bag has been faultering lately. I have lost a solid 10 yards from the 205 for the first month I had the 2.0's to now where a good swing gets me 195. I have a fade going on that is pretty close to ugly. This is what I constantly fight against in my game and when I start falling into bad habits, the big fade is my miss. I can go months of playing pretty solid golf, but slowly I fall back into this pattern, and right now I am really fighting my swing. I am coming over the top and not getting my hands in front of the ball. It should be an easy fix when I get to the range with the camera on me.

The 5 and 4 irons are even worse right now for me. I hit them well, but the flawed swing is causing fades. I can account for the fade, but am losing distance and have to aim quite a bit left of target. Sometimes I have to aim at trouble which sucks. Also, when I put a good swing on it, the ball goes straight, 10 yards longer, and usually in trouble. Basically I am all around struggling with my swing right now. Ended up shooting 83, 87 on the day. Oddly enough, my irons were not the worst part of the day as I also struggled with the putter and driver. I did hit my hybrid and 3 wood well though, so I do have that. :)

I am still in love with the KBS TOUR/2.0 combo. When I am on, they are great for me. I am hoping that I can get back to a better swing so I can give a more accurate review of the clubs. I know what they can do, I have seen it first hand, but right now I am not giving them justice. I will say this, my mis hits (which I have plenty of right now) still go further than any other iron I have hit, and I honestly believe my crappy scores would be even worse with my previous irons.

Well...it was bound to happen. I had a terrible weekend with the burners, but it was definitely a swing issue, or multiple swing issues. After shooting a 42/40 for an 82 last time out, on Saturday I shot a 48/61 for 109. That is the worst I have played in a long time. I could not hit anything in the bag well, and it could have been a lot worse, but I managed to putt pretty well, with 14/18 for 32. I will not bore you with the details, but I was pissed, and after I finished, I immediately made a tee time for Sunday. Went out Sunday, and hit every single iron shot fat. It was incredibly frustrating. I didn't putt well on the front finishing with 20 putts, and a 45, but my putter saved me on the back where I only had 14 putts, and still shot a 47 for a 92. Bad, bad, weekend. Even though a 92 is not horrible for me, the fact that I did not hit my irons well on either day, and considering how well I had been striking them, it was terrible. I can put Saturdays round behind me, but Sunday I could have easily gone low (for me) if I had just hit a couple of solid iron shots. I will be taking a couple of days off, and maybe hit the range Wednesday. Then I will be out of town from Friday to Tuesday, on a no golf trip, so I can come back, and hit the range again, Wednesday or Thursday, and then get out again. Hopefully, the little mini break will get me back, because, it sure was a lot more fun when I was just striping the heck out of these.

I played 36 on Saturday and it was a tale of two rounds. Hit the 2.0's very good in round one, and not so much in round two. My swing is a bit off right now and I have lost a little distance. My bad swings are fading with the longer irons (and driver), right now as I am coming over the top too much. I need to get into a video session to reset my swing.

It was a tourney and we had to turn our scorecards in so unfortunately, I do not have the round specifics. I hit the PW and 9 really well all day, but it was a longer course and didn't hit them as much as some of the longer irons. I had a case of the pulls with the 8, missed 3 or 4 greens left with it. My 7 iron was good, not great hit a few GIR's with it but nothing closer than 20'.

Here is where I am struggling. My 6 iron which has been one of the most consistant clubs in my bag has been faultering lately. I have lost a solid 10 yards from the 205 for the first month I had the 2.0's to now where a good swing gets me 195. I have a fade going on that is pretty close to ugly. This is what I constantly fight against in my game and when I start falling into bad habits, the big fade is my miss. I can go months of playing pretty solid golf, but slowly I fall back into this pattern, and right now I am really fighting my swing. I am coming over the top and not getting my hands in front of the ball. It should be an easy fix when I get to the range with the camera on me.

The 5 and 4 irons are even worse right now for me. I hit them well, but the flawed swing is causing fades. I can account for the fade, but am losing distance and have to aim quite a bit left of target. Sometimes I have to aim at trouble which sucks. Also, when I put a good swing on it, the ball goes straight, 10 yards longer, and usually in trouble. Basically I am all around struggling with my swing right now. Ended up shooting 83, 87 on the day. Oddly enough, my irons were not the worst part of the day as I also struggled with the putter and driver. I did hit my hybrid and 3 wood well though, so I do have that. :)

I am still in love with the KBS TOUR/2.0 combo. When I am on, they are great for me. I am hoping that I can get back to a better swing so I can give a more accurate review of the clubs. I know what they can do, I have seen it first hand, but right now I am not giving them justice. I will say this, my mis hits (which I have plenty of right now) still go further than any other iron I have hit, and I honestly believe my crappy scores would be even worse with my previous irons.

Sounds like we are mirroring each other...unfortunately for both of us.

Just able to get an update from last weeks league night (was out of town). To put it simply, I'm just not hitting my irons well lately. I'm having problems with hitting them thin/fat and hooking them. I think I am going to start looking into lessons to get my swing back to where it was.

That being said, I still didn't play that badly and shot a 44 with a birdie. I need to figure out what is up with my swing lately.

Before my round, I'll rip everything I hit straight down the middle with my clubs. Straight as can be and correct distances. But as soon as I start playing, its like I forget how to hit the ball and start thinning and hitting the ball fat.

Well...it was bound to happen. I had a terrible weekend with the burners, but it was definitely a swing issue, or multiple swing issues. After shooting a 42/40 for an 82 last time out, on Saturday I shot a 48/61 for 109. That is the worst I have played in a long time. I could not hit anything in the bag well, and it could have been a lot worse, but I managed to putt pretty well, with 14/18 for 32. I will not bore you with the details, but I was pissed, and after I finished, I immediately made a tee time for Sunday. Went out Sunday, and hit every single iron shot fat. It was incredibly frustrating. I didn't putt well on the front finishing with 20 putts, and a 45, but my putter saved me on the back where I only had 14 putts, and still shot a 47 for a 92. Bad, bad, weekend. Even though a 92 is not horrible for me, the fact that I did not hit my irons well on either day, and considering how well I had been striking them, it was terrible. I can put Saturdays round behind me, but Sunday I could have easily gone low (for me) if I had just hit a couple of solid iron shots. I will be taking a couple of days off, and maybe hit the range Wednesday. Then I will be out of town from Friday to Tuesday, on a no golf trip, so I can come back, and hit the range again, Wednesday or Thursday, and then get out again. Hopefully, the little mini break will get me back, because, it sure was a lot more fun when I was just striping the heck out of these.

I feel your pain Yorkem. I wonder why it seems we are all struggling right now? You, Jefrazie and I are all bad right now. Odd!

I feel your pain Yorkem. I wonder why it seems we are all struggling right now? You, Jefrazie and I are all bad right now. Odd!

I hate to hate, but I KILLED it this weekend. I played in my father in law's 40 man golf weekend and walked away with the decision to ditch my Cleveland CG Gold irons for good. With the Burner 2's (5-SW), I won 2 closest to the pin contests and shot my best 2 scores of the year. I still had a few nasty hooks when I was in between clubs and really step on one, but I soon learned to be smart and take the longer club and choke down. I played so well, I will be promoted to the higher flight next year.

My best shot was a 6 iron up hill par 3 from 178. Pin was tucked back left over a bunker. I started it right side of the green with a draw, hit middle of the green rolled to 5'. Won me a skin and a closest to the pin. We played in humid Indiana, so I need to go back on my previous thinking that the VDR grips hold up well in humidity. They are more like the Tour Velvet than I previously thought. I just had to towel them off and wipe my hands b4 each shot.

I'm heading to Northern Ohio this weekend for a wedding. I'm scheduled to play a course I hear is pretty tough (Sawmill Creek), hopefully my game continues to pleasantly surprise me.

I hate to hate, but I KILLED it this weekend. I played in my father in law's 40 man golf weekend and walked away with the decision to ditch my Cleveland CG Gold irons for good. With the Burner 2's (5-SW), I won 2 closest to the pin contests and shot my best 2 scores of the year. I still had a few nasty hooks when I was in between clubs and really step on one, but I soon learned to be smart and take the longer club and choke down. I played so well, I will be promoted to the higher flight next year.

My best shot was a 6 iron up hill par 3 from 178. Pin was tucked back left over a bunker. I started it right side of the green with a draw, hit middle of the green rolled to 5'. Won me a skin and a closest to the pin. We played in humid Indiana, so I need to go back on my previous thinking that the VDR grips hold up well in humidity. They are more like the Tour Velvet than I previously thought. I just had to towel them off and wipe my hands b4 each shot.

I'm heading to Northern Ohio this weekend for a wedding. I'm scheduled to play a course I hear is pretty tough (Sawmill Creek), hopefully my game continues to pleasantly surprise me.

I hate you. JK, glad to hear you are still stroking them well buddy.

How do I sign up to test products?

There are sign-ups for different priducts all the time, but they key is to be active on the forum, on a daily basis.

Back