Driver shaft dilemma. Not sure what to do.

Marengo

Reaction score
Handicap
I took my driver into my local shop to have the shaft replaced. Nothing particularly wrong with the stock shaft (G15) but I'm always tinkering with the equipment. I asked them to put in a ProLaunch Axis Blue with a ShotMaker insert. I go to pick up the club yesterday and they installed a ProLaunch Blue. One of the old models. I know that some people say that the specs of the two shafts are similar but from what I saw on the website, there is other new tech stuff with the Axis shaft.

I am playing in a tournament on friday/saturday so I cant have my driver in the shop. Is there any noticable differences between these two shafts? Is it wrong to try it out this weekend and have them put in the shaft that I requested if this one doesnt feel right? I dont want to go through the hassle of getting the other shaft installed if there really isnt any difference between the two. The Axis one does look a whole lot better than this one though.

Any suggestions?

I think the performance will be similar, but I would definitely give that shop an earful if I were you. Especially if they charged you for an axis while installing the regular ProLaunch. The older model shaft is still a good one, but can be had for about $20, while the Axis is still in the $70-$80 range (I think).

Side note: your bag makeup is quite interesting. Isn't the TP MB PW 47º, does that cause problems with the 48º wedge? I like that it's different, especially if it's working for you!

The Axis model will launch the ball lower with slightly less spin then the old blue. The Axis is more of a medium to high flight while the Blue is just high. The Axis weave in them tighen's the shaft up so it feels a bit different as well.

The good news is is that they only charged me for the regular blue pricing. The bad news is is that it was still more expensive than what I could have got it for somewhere else.

To answer your question though. I had the lofts on my irons checked and the PW was actually at 45*. The lofts on all either a degree or a couple degrees strong.

I think the performance will be similar, but I would definitely give that shop an earful if I were you. Especially if they charged you for an axis while installing the regular ProLaunch. The older model shaft is still a good one, but can be had for about $20, while the Axis is still in the $70-$80 range (I think).

Side note: your bag makeup is quite interesting. Isn't the TP MB PW 47º, does that cause problems with the 48º wedge? I like that it's different, especially if it's working for you!

Their mistake they should eat it..

Their mistake they should eat it..

I agree, but that still does not address the delima of of needing the club friday and saturday, I would tell them I am using it for those 2 days and bringing it back on monday for the correct shaft.

I agree, but that still does not address the delima of of needing the club friday and saturday, I would tell them I am using it for those 2 days and bringing it back on monday for the correct shaft.

This. Tell them you have a tournament, and make them agree that you can return it after the tournament. Do not let them use quick dry epoxy so it can set before Friday as I hear that stuff is garbage and will flake off over time. Use the stick they gave you and get the correct shaft after the tournament. Unless you are absolutely crushing your driver... :)

This. Tell them you have a tournament, and make them agree that you can return it after the tournament. Do not let them use quick dry epoxy so it can set before Friday as I hear that stuff is garbage and will flake off over time. Use the stick they gave you and get the correct shaft after the tournament. Unless you are absolutely crushing your driver... :)

I think this is fair, it's their mistake, they should work with you to make it right.

I ended up trying the shaft out this weekend and the miscommunication was probably the best thing that could have happened. I hit the club fairly well but I think that low kick shafts do not work for me. Every one that I have tried feels really whippy no matter how stiff the flex. I took the club back today and I am getting the Blur 005 installed. I think the mid kick of this shaft will work perfectly. They are only charging me the difference in the shaft prices as well. I think I will give them a tip as well just because everything worked out so much better than if I got the shaft that I wanted originally. I know how much work goes into reshafting/installing a shotmaker and making sure the frequency comes out right.

Always a fan of a happy ending.. Definitely worked out best for you in the end. Good luck with the new shaft!

Back