Should Tiger Play in the President's Cup?

When does Freddy need to make his decision? I'm sure its before the HSBC in China and that is the next tournament on Tiger's schedule, but I want to wait to see what he does there before I make my own opinion. I have a feeling he will be on the team just due to the numbers he can pull, both on TV and attendance. If what he says is true, being he is actually close to 100% and able to practice, I expect he can get his game back to being competitive. Hank Haney said Tiger used to practice 54 holes per day and spent a lot of time on the range in between, but hasn't been able to do that since his injury (I think circa 2008). If Tiger truly is dedicated and wants to improve, then I think he can get back to being in contention. I'm not sure if Foley is the answer, but Tiger knows how to play golf. Somewhere deep inside of his warped mind there is a mental game. At some point it will overcome whatever is floating around in his mind currently, which I assume is a lot of self doubt. He just needs to practice, practice, practice, and play some tournaments. Go to the European tour if needed or play a Fall Series event.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Actually the International team has what could be a similar dilemma - do they include Vijay Singh?

After looking at the details and the list, I'm thinking why not play TW if he is up for it. Ten players by points and two picks, of the US born side of the PGA. Everyone who is playing good will get on by points, and the Johnny come lately's will make the ryder next year. He just has too many wins to leave behind. If it was a four or six person team it'd be different, to me anyway.
http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/prescup.html?140

So he should be on the team in case he plays well?
I think since it is gonna be a pick=gamble, I'd take TW over Van Pelt, or even Sneds. Fowlers at 11 and he did good @ the Ryder so I'd pick him too.

So he should be on the team in case he plays well?

Whether he plays well or not, I think he should be on the team (yeah I know, big surprise there).

I look at the President's Cup the same way that Jack did - that it's more of a good-will event, or a "good for the game" / all about sportsmanship event rather than a truly competitive event like the Ryder Cup.
Like him or not, Tiger HAS done a lot for the game of golf and if the President's Cup is more about "the game" then Tiger needs to be there. And if the spirit of sportsmanship is what this event is really supposed to be about (something that Jack believed a great deal in), then leaving Tiger out would be kicking a man when he's down and right now, who more than Tiger really needs a vote of confidence - especially from his peers?

If this was the Ryder Cup that would be different.
The Ryder Cup is a venerable long term event steeped in tradition, decidedly competitive and definitely about bragging rights and in which no team wants any weak links.
But the President's Cup isn't the Ryder Cup (hell, it's not even 20 years old yet) and since it's more like the Pro Bowl than a truly cutthroat competition, I think keeping Tiger out would be the wrong thing to do.

no. right now he is playing like a hack.

Let him play. The media is going to be all over his nuts whether he is there or not. Might as well see live non stop coverage as opposed to flashbacks of pre-9 iron/Escalade Tiger.

No.

If I'm captain I'm letting Ricky in at 11 and deciding between Bradley and Woodland with a slight edge to Woodland for the 12th spot.

How detrimental was tiger to the ryder cup squad? If I recall correctly he and stevie (stricker, not williams) did ok but not great in team matchups then tiger destroyed frankie molinari in singles.
I'm not saying he deserves a spot (he doesn't), and it makes perfect sense to give the spot to some else (someone who actually earned it this year with good play), but I don't think picking tiger would necessarily handicap the team the way some surmise that it would

Short and simple. NO. He's not been playing well for quite some time.

Looks like a moot point. TGC showed an interview with couples tonight. He said he "wanted" and "needed" woods on the team. He made it sound like the only way we won't see tw is if he tw declines the invitation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Boy I am guessing we would all love to have a window into Freddie's mind to see what is behind his determination that he wants Tiger on his team.

One thought might be Tiger's match play capabilities. While there are a number of guys playing better golf right now I don't wonder that Freddie thinks' Tiger will find a way to gain points in match play come hell or high water. I think the match play format would even mitigate some of Tiger's current deficiencies as he has had more blow up holes of late than we are used to seeing from him. However in match play, presuming that your opponent has not blown up the same hole, the result is not worse than a hole that is narrowly lost.

I also agree that with the comments about how Tiger has historically approached these team concept events. He does seem to buck up and turn into a team guy while not being as vocal as Lefty. Phil looks like he has multiple RC/PC team captaincies written all over him based on his last RC performance.

Does anybody know if Bridgestone is slated to be a major PC sponsor?

As to whether Tiger should play or not, I would say if he is asked, he should play and it sounds like he is going to be asked. I don't think Tiger should disqualify himself by asking Freddie not to pick him. Freddie is the captain. It's his choice to make and I don't think Tiger should preempt or disenfranchise Freddie's option to choose him whatever the rational for such a choice.

No way. The numbers say Tiger can come back, but his body language and that dull look in his eyes belies any sort of turnaround that won't take years.

Too many other interesting talents out there. I loved watching Dufner play. Put him in there.

My vote is yes...Freddie says he wants him.

No way. The numbers say Tiger can come back, but his body language and that dull look in his eyes belies any sort of turnaround that won't take years.

Too many other interesting talents out there. I loved watching Dufner play. Put him in there.

Dufner takes too long to hit the ball

:popcorn:

I must go with a no, it is so much more sad than exciting to watch the Tiger of 2010/2011. Let one of the deserving youngsters play instead.

I say no. I know it's Tiger but I don't think he has earned his spot on the team. But knowing Tiger I pretty sure he'll take a spot he shouldn't.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

While he may not deserve a spot on the team with his performance, in an interview with Tim Rosaforte Fred Couples said "Tiger Woods is on Presidents Cup team no matter what"

I don't care what Freddie says, and I'm sure Tiger will be on the squad, the point of the thread was to get your opinions on whether or not Tiger should be on the team. My fear is that someone in much better form gets left off the squad. I know it's just the President's Cup, but let's assume Tiger's current form translates into next year (he doesn't win, and struggles to make cuts), should he be included in the Ryder Cup too?

I don't care what Freddie says, and I'm sure Tiger will be on the squad, the point of the thread was to get your opinions on whether or not Tiger should be on the team. My fear is that someone in much better form gets left off the squad. I know it's just the President's Cup, but let's assume Tiger's current form translates into next year (he doesn't win, and struggles to make cuts), should he be included in the Ryder Cup too?

No but he will be. This reminds me of my days playing soccer. Many times better people were left off of Olympic Development squads because of others more "fortunate" upbringing.

I didn't think he belonged on the last ryder cup team, he certainly doesn't belong on the presidents cup team with the way he is playing, hell Charles Barkley could probably whup him now.

Back