The HIO You Don’t Want

My first HOI was on a an 8i thinned so bad I nearly missed the ball. It was a complete miss-hit that somehow someway found the cup.

No regrets.

I’d rather it be a perfectly struck ball, but I’m pretty happy when I thin an approach shot and it still ends up on the green. At least the face was square. Lol.

I just wouldn’t want it to be so bad it bounces off a tree and into the hole. Might make for a good story but would be hard to brag about.

I'm glad my 1 wasn't a poorly struck shot but it would make for a better story and...it's still a HIO and would go on a plaque!!!

I don’t care how I get a HIO.

I’ll tell the real story of how I thinned it and then it hit a rock short of the green and popped up and rolled into someone else’s ball and then went into the hole. I don’t care how it happens, if it happens.

I think I do but then I find myself talking to the ball trying to get it to go in

No HIO for me yet after about 40 years of playing. I will take it however it happens.

Ever hit a ball on a par three that is a total stinker and let somehow it still tracks toward the hole? Ever wish a ball out of the hole because of a bad swing?

I had one today. Clubbed up big time in the wind and hit a total stinker that was a fatty toe ball, which happened to knock off all the spin and it sailed toward the pin the whole way. As soon as my brain did the math on direction I stopped my noises on the bad strike hahaha

View attachment 9252855
Only you would have a good look at a HIO with a craptastic swing! lol

I have has 5. First one we never saw into the rising sun. I saw it taking off, flying high and true, towards the pin on the back of the elevated green, but it felt like I killed it. This was the days of blades and before lasers and GPS. I was looking all over behind the green for my ball. Told my partners to putt out to keep us moving and I'd drop if I couldn't find it. Guy went to pull the pin for a putt, and my ball was in the hole.

Second was a pin on the front of a shorter par 3 that put me in between clubs. I hit a big cut with the 8I to take some off of it that was supposed to land safely left and behind the hole, then spin back down towards the hole. (old wound balls would really, really spin). Plan didn't pan out. The ball slammed into the hole on the fly, with a big CLANG off the metal cup and metal pin, bounced straight up into the air and landed back in the hole. Not my planned execution, but the end result was just as desirable. LOL

The rest were just your usual combination of a decent shot and very good luck.

I had 3 in my life time. The first two came in my first 2 years.And I was hitting it all over the place.But those 2 were good mis hits.Hahah

I saw a friend of mine nearly shank it, hit a tree root 15 yards from the green and carom back to the flag with speed, hit the stick, pop a foot or more straight up in the air and fell in the hole. One of the worst shots I have seen from a good player. We just started cracking up. Still his only HIO.
Still wrote a "1" on the card.
I've still never had one.I've holed out from all over for 1 Albatross, and a bunch of eagles and birdies over the years, but no Aces

Only time I’ve ever seen someone not want a HOI was @Hawk at the Srixon Experience during the 12 man scramble. He hit one that was tracking right at the hole and started screaming “NOOOO”

Congrats, and welcome to the Club..

Congrats, and welcome to the Club..
I've been waiting to use this!

trump donald GIF

I would rather never have a HIO than some bladed, bounce off a rock BS.

I have nine Aces in Club competition and some of them were mishits. The ugly ones make up for those that should have gone down but didn't.
After my third ace in the span of two years I joined a HIO Club. On my one and only game with the Club members, my three playing partners couldn't break 100 for 18 holes. To my mind aces are pure luck.

I once saw a hole in one that hit trees to the left of the green, rolled up onto the green, hit the pin and fell into the hole. If it hadn't have hit trees it would
have been in a creek. Ugly everywhere but on the scorecard.

No but years ago I dunked my tee shot into the water and re-teed and holed out and was yelling at my ball not to go in. I would have rather had the tap in bogey turn the par.

No but years ago I dunked my tee shot into the water and re-teed and holed out and was yelling at my ball not to go in. I would have rather had the tap in bogey turn the par.
I've re-teed for fun on par 3s plenty of times, joking "good if it goes" and knowing damn well I'd be gutted if it ever did.

heck of a story to tell though.

On top of not wanting one on a terrible shot, I don’t want one on a round that has no chance of putting up a solid score. Like if I shot a 89 or something and had a HIO, I’d be pretty frustrated by that too. If I get a HIO, I’d hope that it contributes to a solid score. That’s probably dumb but it’s how I’d feel

Season 6 Nbc GIF by This Is Us

I don’t care how it goes in, if it goes in.

My friend had one about 5 years ago that he is almost embarrassed to reflect on. It was about 125 yds down hill over a swamp but very narrow green and heavily bunkered. Distance control is important to hit and stay on green do to shape, angle and how small and narrow the green is. Anyway he skulled it off the tee barely cleared the swamp in front bullrushes and ran (bounced) like 40 yards to the pin from off the green then up the green where it banged the pin and went straight down into the hole. Probably the ugliest hole in one I have heard close up.

Back