Taking the plunge.

Foreplay

Reaction score
Handicap
I've went back and forth between the R11 and the 910d2. I went to GG yesterday while at work and hit both. The R11 a little longer. The 910D2 more consistent up the middle. Distance may be closer being they gave me a 9.5 910D2 to try and it was low launching for me. They wouldn't give me my backspin numbers but my SS was 95-99 average being closer to 95.

I have settled in on buying my first Titleist driver tonight. I'm still researching swing speed vs shaft flex recommendations. Titleist guy on phone was awesome and recommends the Made for Kai Li in stiff flex. The GG kid recommends the same shaft in regular. I hit both and the Regular seemed more solid but I started cold on the stiff so I'm not sure which way I'm leaning. Probably stiff. Based on that swing speed, which way would you go? If all else fails I have the 30 day playability to fall back on. I just don't have the time to get properly fitted at the GG. 2 hours away and other issues makes it impossible. Thanks for any input.

Danny

Last edited:
Good luck with it, that's a great driver, I have a buddy that plans one and he smokes it!

Did you try any other drivers out, or just decide you wanted 1 of these 2 and went with what worked better?

Being your a 25 handicap and buying an expensive club, I'd go with the stiff shaft, because it's far more likely you'll outgrow the regular shaft quicker than it will take you to grow into the stiff.

I have a very similar SS to you (95-99) and I play an Aldila Tour AD Stiff. Love it. I tried to play my Dad's driver, which is a Diamana Whiteboard Regular, and couldn't hit it. Stiff is the way to go.

I have a very similar SS to you (95-99) and I play an Aldila Tour AD Stiff. Love it. I tried to play my Dad's driver, which is a Diamana Whiteboard Regular, and couldn't hit it. Stiff is the way to go.

I don't know man.. If got a swing speed around 110 and I can obliterate my buddies G10 with a regular flex Diamana blue in it.. (not to say that I don't scorch the thing way up on more shots than not)..

There is so much more than just flex involved... I think he needs to hit both of them.

I was gaming the Cleveland xl270. Good distance but constantly fighting control. Was a regular flex and fought the rights all of the time. I guarantee it is my swing issues. I also tried the Callaway Diablo Octane Reg and struggled with it as well.

I've been really working on my game. Huge improvement in putting, irons, and fairway woods. Huge! Tomorrow I am playing without a driver at all. I'll probably post my lowest round ever. Lol. I'm losing 5-8 strokes a round in penalties. When I am hovering around 100, that could make a huge difference in my handicap. I have my handicap posted as 25 because that's what my Club Sgx says.

I have a bunch of credit sitting at TGW burning a hole in my pocket. Lol. I was looking at the 2 adjustable drivers because it could grow with my swing. What's your opinion?

Last edited:
I was gaming the Cleveland xl270. Good distance but constantly fighting control. Was a regular flex and fought the rights all of the time. I guarantee it is my swing issues. I also tried the Callaway Diablo Octane Reg and struggled with it as well.

I've been really working on my game. Huge improvement in putting, irons, and fairway woods. Huge! Tomorrow I am playing without a driver at all. I'll probably post my lowest round ever. Lol. I'm losing 5-8 strokes a round in penalties. When I am hovering around 100, that could make a huge difference in my handicap. I have my handicap posted as 25 because that's what my Club Sgx says.

I have a bunch of credit sitting at TGW burning a hole in my pocket. Lol. I was looking at the 2 adjustable drivers because it could grow with my swing. What's your opinion?

I've heard that playing a driver that is too stiff forces the ball out to the right more often than not..

Have you considered posting a swing video in the Ask the Pro section?

I've read and heard the same thing. There is no doubt in my mind that it's a swing flaw. I just felt that I could grow with an adjustable driver vs struggle with a square face driver that doesn't complement my current swing.

When talking drivers flex is only a tiny part of the equation. When spending $300-400 I say make the time to do it the right way....you will thank yourself in the end. My SS is similar to yours and I preferred regular flexes when I went through fittings. I didn't feel the need to swing hard to load the shaft. And one companies stiff is another's regular. There's no standard for flexes when comparing, say, a UST shaft to a Miyazaki or any other maker.

My current shaft isn't full blown stiff and if I had listened to the some store folks I would be in a 6.0 PX shaft. That's a STOUT shaft that can offhandedly be considered stiff. I was lucky enough to recognize it before I bought it and got the 5.5. Gave the best numbers.

I've read and heard the same thing. There is no doubt in my mind that it's a swing flaw. I just felt that I could grow with an adjustable driver vs struggle with a square face driver that doesn't complement my current swing.

You're not wrong.. I recently adjusted my R9 to sit on the open TP setting and it made a significant difference. I still think reading up on adjusting that swing flaw is your best bet, but both drivers you're looking at are great options I think. I just think making a shaft decision is based on the individual swing.

The Pro that gives me lessons and advice pounds into me about left hand dominance and pulling thru. Damn right hand!

My bag before I pulled a few clubs. I love those Burners!

2114bffd.jpg

Last edited:
Why not go through a full driver fitting and be completely open minded? I see you mention time but if that is the only reason then wait until you can spend 2 or 3 hours in there. I have been there and done that on buying a driver because brand, looks, etc and inevtiably you end up selling it for a loss.

Just does not seem very smart to only go into it only trying 2 drivers. You seem to be keen on improving. What if you picked up the D2 without trying all of the other drivers available and there was something that gave you 10 more yards and a tighter dispersion pattern?

What's your opinion of the two clubs I tested JB? Do you have a preference? Despite the politics of each oem.

Why not go through a full driver fitting and be completely open minded? I see you mention time but if that is the only reason then wait until you can spend 2 or 3 hours in there. I have been there and done that on buying a driver because brand, looks, etc and inevtiably you end up selling it for a loss.

Just does not seem very smart to only go into it only trying 2 drivers. You seem to be keen on improving. What if you picked up the D2 without trying all of the other drivers available and there was something that gave you 10 more yards and a tighter dispersion pattern?

I fully understand what your saying. I live 2 hours away from the closest fitter with decent fitting equipment. I work a 24 hour shift with the FD and my shift ends at 0700 hrs. Means I'm stuck waiting till 11 when they open and have a wife waiting for me to get home to watch the kids so she can go to work. It's just really hard to get time. You don't think with the flexibility of either driver I could get close to optimal performance.

Other thing I am worried about with the R11 is the loft adjustment. It says it is independent but it sure seems like the same raise loft and change face angle with the addition of the sole plate. Can anyone elaborate? I really like that I can truly adjust the loft and face angle independently with the Titleist.

I have not hit either a ton but the R11 is considered one of the most unforgiving drivers out there. Tons seem to prefer the R9 or Superfast 2.0.

I get what you are saying but even if it means waiting a few weeks, I would be patient and go through the full fitting. You will thank yourself in the long run.

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

Tried the SF 2.0 and sent it back same day. Major snap hook with 2* closed face. Loved the distance when I could get it to go straight. The Cleveland xl270 was a nice club. Love it and only sliced it when I would start getting tired. Most of the time had a fade. I'm looking for a happy medium where I find more fairways. The xl270 is a looong shaft. The Titleist is 45". I like that.

I would try out a bunch of different shafts on that thing and take numbers from them. You can garner a lot from launch angle, spin rate, etc. And they could also give you distance and accuracy numbers. Just hit a bunch and find out which is right for you.

When I bought my d3 I tried at least five stiff shafts before hitting the matrix. They all were pretty good, but the matrix gave better carry, lower spin and I hit it more consistently. I am consistently hitting 15-25 yards further, with an occasional +30yard bomb. Take your time and get fit. If you are spending that much get it right.

Tried the SF 2.0 and sent it back same day. Major snap hook with 2* closed face. Loved the distance when I could get it to go straight. The Cleveland xl270 was a nice club. Love it and only sliced it when I would start getting tired. Most of the time had a fade. I'm looking for a happy medium where I find more fairways. The xl270 is a looong shaft. The Titleist is 45". I like that.

The Superfast TP is set to a degree or so open.. Might be worth trying that.

Also, I agree with the R11 comment from mcook... I hit them both and found the superfast to be much more accurate.

Ok. There is a GG in Rockville where I test drove the R11 and Titleist. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can book a fitting Wednesday during my shift. I'll take an hour or so leave to do it. Will a GG fitting be good enough?

I couldn't get off to do a fitting. Gonna take my driver with me when I do it next week. Worse comes to worse I have the 30 day playability. The guy I deal with at TGW is da bomb.

I ordered the titleist 910 D2 10.5 with the Kai Li Regular Shaft. That way I won't have to swing extremely aggressive to load the shaft. It will be here tomorrow but I work. :(

I'm booking a tee time on Thursday to give it a run. Totally psyched!

Back