What ball did you play your last round and what did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 9 with the TaylorMade Penta TP balls. I liked them alot. I played 9 holes with the same ball. It was pretty beaten up at the end of the round so I sacrificed it to the golf gods (the pond). Overall, I love the feel around the greens and on the greens. The ball just feels so soft. I absolutely love it.

Last round I played I started with a Callaway Tour i(s), went to a Srixon Z-Star and then a TM Penta I found. I really enjoyed the Tour i(s) and the Penta. I didn't get the same kind of response with the Z-Star, but that being said, this was the first course with nice enough greens to get some half decent spin that I've played. Still figuring it out. I did hit a 300 yard (gps) drive with the Penta which felt pretty awesome!

I just wanted to post a few more thoughts on the Penta ball again now that I have had a chance to play it on a pro course where the greens were soft. My home course is known for being narrow, and for having greens that are very hard to hold. Well I can typically hold them pretty well with the Penta ball, but last weekend I was able to play a couple rounds at TPC Deere Run, and I relied on the Penta around the greens to help save my rounds because my iron game has sucked lately. I am still getting great distance with the Penta, but the thing I loved most about the ball this past weekend was the ability to get it to just hop and stop. It took me a few holes to adjust because I am not used to playing on such nice greens, but all day Monday during my tournament round I was sticking it within 8 feet any time I was within 50 yards. This ball was money all day! I'm definitely keeping the Pentas in my bag for a long time, although I am very anxious to try the new Penta ball once it comes out.

I received my free 6 pack of TM Pentas the other day and finally got to play with them this week. I agree totally INgolfer. The hop and stop saved me big. I spun one out of a bunker where it would have trickled 6 ft past, but checked up to 1 foot for a tap in par.

I will withhold judgment that this is the best ball I've ever played till I get a few more rounds with them, but I scored my best 9 ever with this ball. Hit it just as long and spins when I need it.

For those that tear this ball up, I had a few scuff marks without shredding. I have shredded balls before so maybe it was this one time it didn't. I'll try and shred it more next time :)

Most of my weekend was spent playing Penta TP or Pro V1 balls. They are both excellent balls. I don't normally play with top end balls so it's always a treat to play them.

I played noodle long and softs. I have been missing shots of late with the driver. As I get things turned around, these are great balls for bargain prices. Of course I don't see penta results in close, but if I cannot get to the hole because bad shots, these fill the void. Without draining the wallet. Much better than other bargain balls. Have not tried the mojo yet

I played noodle long and softs. I have been missing shots of late with the driver. As I get things turned around, these are great balls for bargain prices. Of course I don't see penta results in close, but if I cannot get to the hole because bad shots, these fill the void. Without draining the wallet. Much better than other bargain balls. Have not tried the mojo yet

MOJOs aren't bad... They're definitely long & straight. You may want to try the Gamer though. Not an evangelist or anything, just throwing it out there. You'll get a little more spin around the greens with them then a MOJO or something like that since it's a 3-piece ball. I tried out the Bridgestone e6, Nike One Vapor and a couple of others this summer, but always find myself coming back to the Gamer. Cheaper price, which I need since I'm still learning and lose more balls than I'd like. It's also pretty long with some solid green holding potential. I don't put a ton of spin on the ball and all of my irons stop within a few feet of landing on approach/par 3 shots. I even manage to back 'em up sometimes.

Thanks for the heads up about the gamer. I will take a look. It's only one club that is causing me some issues. Those should be solved soon. Then it's back to the penta or z/q star when the q comes out

played with the bridgestone B330S and the penta. i like both balls but i think the pentas still hold the greens better. But i still like the bridgestones a lot. i still got 2 boxes of Bridgestone and 3 boxes of pentas on the way (couple great sales). guess ill have plenty of time to pick one or the other.

Played 3 rounds this weekend, used Diablo Tours and TM Burners, great mid price range balls. Good distance on both of them, diablo tours had a better feel around the green, but overall I liked the Burners better

82/78 with the RX. Why do I mess around with other balls?

i played 5 nike pd softs... 4 wanted to see what fish looked like up close

Penta. Absolutely loved it. Distance off of the tee was there, iron distance was there, and no complaints about short game performance.

Sorry JMan but I have to...

That's what she said.

Haha, nice catch Spank (woah, that's awkward considering the context....LOL)

Reppage for you sir lol

I posted this earlier today in the Penta testing thread and thought I would also post it here.

I played over at Jonesco with Ole Gray today and decided to play a sleeve of the Pentas that came in the 6 pack a couple of weeks ago. Man is this a great ball, I have had back problems this entire year and actually have been able to swing through the ball for only the past 2 weeks. I had tried the Penta's at my visit to The Kingdom in March and was relatively neutural about them, they seemed to be good balls but not better than my ball of choice the RX, that thought may change now that I can finish my swing through the ball.
I hit a perfect little baby draw off the 1st tee and thought to myself that was a nice hit. It was actually longer that usual on the 1st hole and I noticed it but thought it was mostly roll. I hit a 3 wood on the second hole, again a baby draw and low and behold it was in the range of where I have hit my driver on that hole the few times I have pulled it there. The 3rd hold is a par 3 and I missed to the right with a true push, I was about 20 yards from the hole and hit a SW low that hit, skipped, and stopped within 4 feet of where it landed for a 1 foot putt for par. The next a par 4 I absolutely bombed and was only 71 yards from the flag, the closest I have ever been to that green and the flag was on the back tier, probably 10 full yards closer to that green than ever. The good shots were like this all day long, moving the way I wanted them to and not rolling out a ton which is a real problem at Jonesco, I had a blast. I plan to put them in play Wednesday at my weekly blitz and see if the honeymoon continues.
I will be testing in the blind ball test starting in a couple of day as mdbuschsr had a real emergency come up and asked GG & JB to allow him to send them on to another tester. I will be comparing the blind ball to the Penta and the RX as those are the balls I am most familar with. Looking forward to the test and am wondering if the mystery ball, Penta or RX will be the ball I am playing in a few months.

Played the Penta on Sunday and thoroghly enjoyed it. What a great ball. I forgot just nice these balls feel off the driver and putter. I didnt see any loss of distance or crazy side spin. I wish they didnt cost so much because I want to use them now.

Found an e7 on the course and decided to give it a try I've been curious about this ball. I don't know what it was but this ball just didn't agree with me off of the tee, everything went left and a couple of them were almost screwball like. Since it was a found ball I'm gonna chalk it up to something being wrong with it (looked almost brand new) but it didn't give me a very good first impression. Finally hooked it out of bounds into a creek and left it there.

For a mess about round I use a srixon soft feel, lovely soft feel and barely any scuffing, however it doesn't spin at all! Any serious round I use a pro V1, not the Pro V1x though, only when in high wind! :p

Vision UV X3. Thoughts are in the review thread as usual

Played the Penta on Sunday and thoroghly enjoyed it. What a great ball. I forgot just nice these balls feel off the driver and putter. I didnt see any loss of distance or crazy side spin. I wish they didnt cost so much because I want to use them now.

Dicks was running a buy 2 get one free on a dozen of these, not sure if they still are or not. This deal makes them very affordable at that price, half the cost of 3 dozen ProVs.

Dicks was running a buy 2 get one free on a dozen of these, not sure if they still are or not. This deal makes them very affordable at that price, half the cost of 3 dozen ProVs.

Was just going to post this exact thing. Got myself 3 dozen last week for 80 bucks from Dicks... Hard to believe there's a better bang for your buck than the Pentas at this price!

Also, just shot a 76 on a par 70 with the Pentas, preceded by a 79 on a tough part 71 course, not losing a ball the first round, and only pusing 1 into a hazard on the second round. Really can't complain about this ball at all.

Was just going to post this exact thing. Got myself 3 dozen last week for 80 bucks from Dicks... Hard to believe there's a better bang for your buck than the Pentas at this price!

Also, just shot a 76 on a par 70 with the Pentas, preceded by a 79 on a tough part 71 course, not losing a ball the first round, and only pusing 1 into a hazard on the second round. Really can't complain about this ball at all.

I just googled Dicks and they are still running this, buy two get one free and free shipping over $99 - throw in a 4th box or a glove or whatever and it ships free. Great deal. Deal may be available somewhere else too if you don't like Dicks, haven't looked at that.

Started out playing playing the TaylorMade Burner TP (pre 2011) and I think the performance vs prize is very reasonable. A lot of stores have been having sales due to the new 2011 version (approx. 30 USD here in Sweden). Lost it after 4 holes and found a ProV1x that I had found in a previous round. Have to say that there is a difference. Performance wise I had a 5 par 2 birdies and a bogey run following the switch which is probably the main reason for the difference in feel. A bit unfai comparison as I had no warm up prior to teeing off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back