Getting a pro treatment

Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
I was curious. Pros hit their practice balls before rounds during tournaments I'm curious how much one person would be willing for the same service. You buy the balls so 50 total just for a round number. After you hit X amount(could be just a range session or even before/after a round) the range picks up your balls just like normal but they separate them for next use.

How it works..
You head to the clubhouse tell them your name, they have a bucket of your choice of balls(we'll say Prov1s)
You hit the bucket and then leave.
They separate the balls even from the regular range balls.

I ask this question cause your buying practice range balls that are always yours and you get the same feel and nothing different from when you go out to hit before a round. I would think if you bought the practice balls and then an extra $5-$10 a month type of deal would be decent. Just wondering is all if others would be interested.

I wouldn't pay extra to get that, but I know some would and would benefit.

I would like it for practice sessions as it would give a better feel for distance, but pre-round range time is strictly a time to warm up/stretch out for me.

Good idea I believe but only $10/month is very little pay for a good bit of extra effort IMO.

I think it's pretty unrealistic, really.. Not to mention for "X" dollars, what stops people from grabbing 10 of them for their upcoming rounds?

I'm not too worried about range session ball quality. A good strike on the ball feels essentially the same, and while some flight characteristics might be muted a bit, it's not enough to concern me.

Unless I was playing in a tourney which had that option. No, its not worth it.

I would do it, but I agree that $10 extra/month would be pretty cheap.

I was curious. Pros hit their practice balls before rounds during tournaments I'm curious how much one person would be willing for the same service. You buy the balls so 50 total just for a round number. After you hit X amount(could be just a range session or even before/after a round) the range picks up your balls just like normal but they separate them for next use.

How it works..
You head to the clubhouse tell them your name, they have a bucket of your choice of balls(we'll say Prov1s)
You hit the bucket and then leave.
They separate the balls even from the regular range balls.

I ask this question cause your buying practice range balls that are always yours and you get the same feel and nothing different from when you go out to hit before a round. I would think if you bought the practice balls and then an extra $5-$10 a month type of deal would be decent. Just wondering is all if others would be interested.

Good idea Tc1, but knowing people like I do, some would pay the $10 and then when they headed to the range they would pocket a few of the balls, only takes a sleeve to actually be taking away the profit from the course for that month. Only takes a few to ruin a good thing for the majority.

I rarely hit balls before I play now so I wouldn't care for it. But I could see some going for it.

I think it really depends on where you practice. Many courses in this area and many of the private clubs take pride in their range balls and practice facility. Take The Ocean Course at Hammock Beach for example. There, they have TaylorMade Tour Burner practice balls which work well to gauge distance. Grand Cypress has Wilson Staff premium balls that they think make great range balls in their testing. Other courses in the area use Pro V1 practice balls.

So I think depending on the level of course you are playing, you might be surprised with what kind of practice balls they use at their facility.

I understand your thought process and I like. If there were a cost effective way to achieve such a undertaking I would be willing to pony up the cash. Like others on the thread, I would be worried that it would be short lived because of casual pocketing.

Does anyone know what happens to the balls after each weeks tournament? Does the tour recycle or bag for the following week or donate them?

I think it really depends on where you practice. Many courses in this area and many of the private clubs take pride in their range balls and practice facility. Take The Ocean Course at Hammock Beach for example. There, they have TaylorMade Tour Burner practice balls which work well to gauge distance. Grand Cypress has Wilson Staff premium balls that they think make great range balls in their testing. Other courses in the area use Pro V1 practice balls.

So I think depending on the level of course you are playing, you might be surprised with what kind of practice balls they use at their facility.

Found this out at Waldorf it's what brought up the topic. Places that have nice ranges(have actual greens to hit to) then I could see myself wanting to use my idea. But the range I always goes to just has signs so it's not worth it at all.

Assuming some sort of premium ball, I wonder how many would end up in peoples bags rather than the range?

Assuming some sort of premium ball, I wonder how many would end up in peoples bags rather than the range?

I agree with this. I dont think you could trust people to keep the balls on the range IMO

The idea has merit, but like others have said, too many would throw 5 or 6 balls in their bag and cause issues.

I've often wondered what happens to the balls used on the range during a PGA tour event?

Years ago this was tried (generalization) by a large national group of country clubs and lasted less than a year. While in theory it would be a nice touch, unfortunately between costs and theft, it never panned out. In todays day and age, I think the results would be similar. Cost, timing and just dont add up unfortunately for this one.

Of course the other side of this is the ugly business side of brands and exclusivity of green grass facilities.

I would pay for it. 10 dollars sounds really cheap though. Like JB said, I can see why it wouldn't work though.

Back