Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers

Anyone notice a big difference on course with the triple diamond and 14g weight front vs back? I’ve played in both settings but I’m leaning towards putting the weight back for a little extra forgiveness. It’s tough because hitting one dead center with the weight forward feels amazing! I notice balls leaking more left and right when not hit perfect with the weight forward though.

Anyone notice a big difference on course with the triple diamond and 14g weight front vs back? I’ve played in both settings but I’m leaning towards putting the weight back for a little extra forgiveness. It’s tough because hitting one dead center with the weight forward feels amazing! I notice balls leaking more left and right when not hit perfect with the weight forward though.
My next thing I want to try is flipping the weights around , I have tried it yet

Doing some speed testing this evening is causing me to continue to inch towards the TD as the driver for ‘24.

If you struggled with the DarkSpeed LS, my inclination would be to suggest that you likely would land with the Smoke Max in the Callaway and the X in the Cobra DarkSpeed. However, there could be other factors that impacted delivery, resulting in your spraying the ball with the LS, shaft fit being one of them.

I am no club fitter, but I know that the vast majority of them are going to say that the Smoke Max and the DarkSpeed X are going to fit many more players than the TD and the LS. Two of the things you will want to cue in on is spin retention and launch, particularly on slight misses. Obviously, the best thing to do, as you say, is hit them yourself. Different things sometimes work in ways that defy conventional wisdom.

As far as what am I playing, I am trying to figure it out. We are on the Callaway Paradym Smoke Ai thread and on this thread, I will say that I am really liking a setup that I have played, which is a TD 10.5* head, with a Ventus Red Stiff shaft. I love everything about that setup and it could easily end up being my driver for ‘24.
Thanks for the reply.

You are probably right. just that I prefer the look of the TD much more than the Max.

And then from what I heard, the sound is louder in the Max model as well. And i am not a fan over high sounds in a driver.

Thanks for the reply.

You are probably right. just that I prefer the look of the TD much more than the Max.

And then from what I heard, the sound is louder in the Max model as well. And i am not a fan over high sounds in a driver.
You should definitely at least test them out for yourself in person and see what you think about the sound and feel! There have been a lot of people that really like the sound/feel of the max

Doing some speed testing this evening is causing me to continue to inch towards the TD as the driver for ‘24.
What has you leaning that direction?

What has you leaning that direction?
Although I have not drawn any final conclusions, right now, it seems to offer near best ball speed. I believe that the DarkSpeed LS is the fastest driver that I have tried, but the Smoke TD is not far behind. However, the Smoke TD is a bit easier to launch and it maintains a little more spin for me than the DarkSpeed LS when I shut the face just a tad. If I am honest with myself, the DarkSpeed LS is probably a bit too much club for my swing speed. I think that I am getting a bit more ball speed out of the Smoke TD than either the DarkSpeed X or the Qi10 LS.

The Smoke TD feels absolutely sublime to hit. To me, it is the best feeling driver of any of the current offerings. I also have a lot of confidence with it. I played it for most of the only round I have played so far this year on a real golf course and after getting the rust out on the front 9, I was hitting a very consistent dead straight ball with a really nice ball flight. I got really hot (and lucky) on that back 9, shooting 4 under and I walked away from the course thinking “don’t change anything about this bag.” I also like the color contrast in the face and crown when the club is in setup position to swing.

The TSR3, which I have played since it was released in ‘22, is still an EXTREMELY good fit for me and it is difficult to displace it, but if I am moving to something new for this year, The Smoke TD is probably the head the most closely resembles the TSR3 in terms of performance, but is new and fun for a change. Again, the Smoke TD feels better to me as well.

I am still going to keep messing around for another month, but if I had to go play to shoot my very best score right now, I would put either the Smoke TD or the TSR3 in the bag, because I am extremely comfortable with both of them. I don’t hit the ball as long as many, so driver is SO important to me. I have to hit driver well to shoot my best scores, because I can’t move on to other clubs during a bad driving round and get the distance I need. I have a lot of confidence in the Smoke TD and that probably counts heavier than anything else.

Last edited:
Although I have not drawn any final conclusions, right now, it seems to offer near best ball speed. I believe that the DarkSpeed LS is the fastest driver that I have tried, but the Smoke TD is not far behind. However, the Smoke TD is a bit easier to launch and it maintains a little more spin for me than the DarkSpeed LS when I shut the face just a tad. If I am honest with myself, the DarkSpeed LS is probably a bit too much club for my swing speed. I think that I am getting a bit more ball speed out of the Smoke TD than either the DarkSpeed X or the Qi10 LS.

The Smoke TD feels absolutely sublime to hit. To me, it is the best feeling driver of any of the current offerings. I also have a lot of confidence with it. I played it for most of the only round I have played so far this year on a real golf course and after getting the rust out on the front 9, I was hitting a very consistent dead straight ball with a really nice ball flight. I got really hot (and lucky) on that back 9, shooting 4 under and I walked away from the course thinking “don’t change anything about this bag.” I also like the color contrast in the face and crown when the club is in setup position to swing.

The TSR3, which I have played since it was released in ‘22, is still an EXTREMELY good fit for me and it is difficult to displace it, but if I am moving to something new for this year, The Smoke TD is probably the head the most closely resembles the TSR3 in terms of performance, but is new and fun for a change. Again, the Smoke TD feels better to me as well.

I am still going to keep messing around for another month, but if I had to go play to shoot my very best score right now, I would put either the Smoke TD or the TSR3 in the bag, because I am extremely comfortable with both of them. I don’t hit the ball as long as many, so driver is SO important to me. I have to hit driver well to shoot me best scores, because I can’t move on to other clubs and get the distance I need. I have a lot of confidence in the Smoke TD and that probably counts heavier than anything else.
Really great information. I know you've put a ton of effort leading up to this and I have enjoyed following along.

I requested for Callaway to adjust swing weight for -1". They added a 8 gram weight to the front and left the rear 14 for a difference of 6 grams. Shouldn't this be around 10g total adjustment for proper swing weight?

Just got off the phone with Callaway. They are sending me both a 10 and 12g weight which should bring me back to where I want to be. Excellent customer service from start to finish. First Callaway club I've owned and it won't be the last with the way I have been treated so far.

For anyone looking for a sliding track weight.

The Max D remains at the top of my list. The numbers that I saw as far as spin and launch were good for me.

Just got off the phone with Callaway. They are sending me both a 10 and 12g weight which should bring me back to where I want to be. Excellent customer service from start to finish. First Callaway club I've owned and it won't be the last with the way I have been treated so far.
That is good stuff! Love that you are getting a couple to really test/tweak it to perfection.

Curious did anyone buy or try the Max with the Vanquish shaft or the Helium nanocore? Options on callaway site. Hard for me to test. Very moderate swing speed. Tnx.

Last edited:
For anyone looking for a sliding track weight.

I really need something heavier than the 14 in the slider. Considering going with two 8s for now.

Bombs away! Nice. And fairway finding to boot.
@Mmaynard11 is taking notice I’m sure…
......this is the internet. Don't tell @Mmaynard11 i hope to actually play golf with him someday.

that was not a FIR. and very hard pack dirt aided to get to where it was. But for me it was a BOMB! I carried it 240-ish. That second shot was all Apex UW! I nearly chipped in for an eagle, but made the 5 ft comeback for birdie.

I really need something heavier than the 14 in the slider. Considering going with two 8s for now.
That’s only 2 grams heavier. I don’t think I would notice that.

My driver is playing shorter than standard so my weights are different than standard, so they are 14g and 10g instead of 14 and 2.

I did play last year's TD with the heavy weight forward at the standard length of 45.75 and weights at 14 and 2. The downside to doing that is the more penal miss.

Curious did anyone buy or try the Max with the Vanquish shaft or the Helium nanocore? Options on callaway site. Hard for me to test. Very moderate swing speed. Tnx.
The lightweight shaft I hit was the Project X Cypher 2.0 40. It's one of the stock offerings for the AI Smoke Max. I have a very moderate swing speed (mid 80s or so). It was a very good shaf for me. My current driver has a Helium 4F2 and the Callaway rep who helped me with the Max and Max D recommended the Project X shaft.

Took a few more swings while I was out today with the MaxD. I probably won't be upgrading this year, but it I was, this one would be hard to beat. I hit a couple really good ones, and hit a couple that weren't exactly center face and was still really impressed with what the screen still showed. I'd love to get one on the course at some point and see it in the wild

I’ve been struggling with driver for a while, yesterday was the best driving day I’ve had in months. I’m increasingly optimistic on this driver the more I get a chance to hit it.

Back