Rule 9 - Play your ball as it lies

Daluteh

Touring Purple - 2024 Bag Boy Championship
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I know I’ve seen some talk about balls in just the worst positions, or the most awkward spots.

Where’s someplace crazy that you have had to play out of? How did it go?

IMG_2227.jpeg

From yesterday’s round. First par 3, only 150 or so yards. Poorly struck 6i leaves me still 60 from the green, but at least I didn’t go in the drink.

Walk up to it and I see nothing other than a damn alligator! Don’t worry though I just took a trip to the Everglades so I’m basically an expert, I learned that I don’t need to be the fastest in my group, just can’t be the slowest when running away.

So here we’ve got us a 48* wedge to get it up on the green, due to keeping a side eye on the gator I still landed short and ended up with this picture and a double bogey for my troubles.

I improve unfortunate lies as I play by the casual rules of golf (and don’t compete against anyone).

No pics but years ago in a big money event I had a ball that came to rest literally touching a 9'+ gator that was completely out of the water sunning itself. Half on the fairway, half in the first cut. Jackasses tried to make me take an unplayable. Thank God there was a local gator rule on the scorecard.....

Last edited:
This nearly vertical lie at Ballyhack last year. No way in God's green earth that I'm getting it out from that...I didn't either. Our caddy couldn't believe the ball stayed up where it was. He said the point of the smooth sand was to make the ball roll back down.

PXL_20230811_155345626.jpg

No pics but years ago in a big money event I had a ball that came to rest literally touching a 9'+ gator that was completely out of the water sunning itself. Half on the fairway, half in the first cut. Jackasses tried to make me take an unplayable. Thank God there was a local gator rule on the scorecard.....
IMG_0475.jpeg
Moveable obstruction?

Is that the picture when you look up fried egg under golf terms? That looks rough
Right on the top of a 3-4 foot face on just redone bunkers. No bueno.

Got it out and sanded half the green at the same time.

I don't have pics because i was too angry. But in my CC this year (where i Rory'd another backdoor top 5), i made a triple in each of the first 2 rounds. Both of atrocious lies.

One was in a bunker tucked against a lip on a hardpan lie. (i should've taken an unplayable in retrospect

The other was on a hill where i had to make a baseball swing and carry it over a ditch. Which it did not.

i shot 78 or better both rounds with the triple though lol

I don't have a pic but hit a bunker shot from my knees once on the 17th hole @Canadan home course because I had no where to stand it to get low enough. Really wish it was on video because somehow I pulled it off haha

I don’t have pictures of it but in a State Am I pitched out from the middle of some trees/bushes long of a green then got up and down for a bogey. I was thinking about an unplayable and my buddy who was caddying got in where the ball was and said I think you can get it out of here. Making the bogey there was huge because my unplayable options weren’t good.

Dangerous animal situation is in the rules. Free drop.

I have played multiple bunker shots off my knees with a ball in the trap or one foot in and one on my knee.

I'll see if I can find the pictures but had some interesting ones over the years and witnessed a few. The plugged ball in the steep upslope of a bunker, in the nook of a tree root, the cavern that is the unfilled divot...

You don't NEED a "Local Gator Rule" on a scorecard. The official rules have provisions for 'dangerous conditions' Rule 16.2 clearly allows relief from exactly this situation.

Found a LOT of awkward, possible dangerous positions over the year. Lots of playing out of water (no deeper than the ball, though). One of the Legends courses in Myrtle Beach, I ended up with the ball tangled in the rough above my head on a near vertical wall that had those wooden ties on the face. No access from the top, so I 'improvised' and was able to advance a bit out the the fairway.

Related to my above 'dangerous condition' post, One of my first rounds in Florida, playing the Dunes near Brookeville, I 'faded' into some scrubby palmettos and other plants. I did find it, and as I was getting ready to address the ball, I heard the unmistakable "chka-chka-chka" of a Rattler. I think I may have set the world record for standing broad jump out of there. Needless to say, I took the dangerous condition drop... Once my heart rate dropped from about 500bpm, of course.

I know I’ve seen some talk about balls in just the worst positions, or the most awkward spots.

Where’s someplace crazy that you have had to play out of? How did it go?
First that comes to my mind was playing off a the bottom of a concrete drainage channel. It had about 3/8" of water, maybe a 3rd of the ball height.

It was a 70+/- yard shot to the pin, that actually turned out well for me. The homeless guys living in the adjacent tunnel even applauded my effort. Saved par par with it.

I’ve had some interesting lies pretty recently.

IMG_2547.jpeg
Ballyhack, hole 9. Ball hung up just above the bunker with a fun stance. Pretty sure I made GIR + a 2 putt par.

IMG_2828.jpeg
I had to play this one in the direction of the arrows, away from the green. Doubled after chipping on and 2 putting.

IMG_0431.jpeg
I was about to call it lost when I found this ball tucked under the grass near the lip. Think I bogeyed this one.

IMG_2714.jpeg
This was my worst lie ever. Just tucked under the shelf but not embedded after skulling an iron. Doubled on this one. Unplayable, out, chutt, and a tap in.

The past 3 years have given me some of the more interesting lies I could find.

Back