Bridgestone J40 Wedges

They do use a black oxide finish that is not permanent.

Looks like they have some bounce, will there be different bounces offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they have some bounce, will there be different bounces offered?

See above about the type of bounce that Bridgestone uses in their wedge.

Beautiful looking wedges. May have to give them a try.

See above about the type of bounce that Bridgestone uses in their wedge.

I saw that, what exactly is that?

Now those are some sexy wedges!

very nice clean looking wedges

I played the West coast design wedges from Bridgestone prior to my current set and really liked them. These look great. Love the clean look and the fact that they come stock with the spinners will put them on the short list for sure. With PW's in some set's coming in the 44 degree range I hope they start to offer a 46 or 48 degree option like Cleveland. Likely a long shot but who knows.

I am really liking how these wedges look and can't wait to hear about how they perform. Maybe I missede it but any word on when they will be released?

Did some reading on the VBT from the previous Bridgestone wedges and it's pretty interesting stuff.

JB- how do OEM's like Bridgestone determine what shafts to offer in a club? for instance, how does Bridgestone decide to offer the DG Spinner in this wedge as opposed to a KBS or a Proj X shaft? Is it contractually related? Performance related?

JB- how do OEM's like Bridgestone determine what shafts to offer in a club? for instance, how does Bridgestone decide to offer the DG Spinner in this wedge as opposed to a KBS or a Proj X shaft? Is it contractually related? Performance related?

Good question!

I am fortunate enough to have secured a set of the Bridgestone j40 wedges in Black from my friend Jwow, many thanks. I have had them in the bag for less than a week and they perform as good as they look, IMO.
The black finish is menacing, the feel is crisp, the weight of the club is felt in the head and the sahft is responsive. I can honestly say that I have never hit another wedge that perfroms as these do. The ball flight is not a rainbow type flight, it' more a planed out high ball flight. They seem to reach their apex and then gradually make their way toward their intended target.
The weight of the club allows you to hit quarter and half shots with the same confidence as a full shot. If you want to impart some good spin, give the club a little for4ward press and blamo, you have spin.
I hit these is a variety of situation last week while playing and they were just as good around the greens as they were into the greens. Opening the face to hit a hight flop or a low skipper, they are all there. They do not have to be over powered or even forced, a good solid swing will give you the results you come to expect from a percision tuned product. Bridgestone really has made a quality wedge and it has carried over into the rest of the J40 line. I'll playing tomorrow so I will report back my experiences after the round.

Thanks for the writeup Tadashi! Looking forward to what you have to say after your round tomorrow!

Tadashi, you are not helping. You are making my mind race.

I am fortunate enough to have secured a set of the Bridgestone j40 wedges in Black from my friend Jwow, many thanks. I have had them in the bag for less than a week and they perform as good as they look, IMO.
The black finish is menacing, the feel is crisp, the weight of the club is felt in the head and the sahft is responsive. I can honestly say that I have never hit another wedge that perfroms as these do. The ball flight is not a rainbow type flight, it' more a planed out high ball flight. They seem to reach their apex and then gradually make their way toward their intended target.
The weight of the club allows you to hit quarter and half shots with the same confidence as a full shot. If you want to impart some good spin, give the club a little for4ward press and blamo, you have spin.
I hit these is a variety of situation last week while playing and they were just as good around the greens as they were into the greens. Opening the face to hit a hight flop or a low skipper, they are all there. They do not have to be over powered or even forced, a good solid swing will give you the results you come to expect from a percision tuned product. Bridgestone really has made a quality wedge and it has carried over into the rest of the J40 line. I'll playing tomorrow so I will report back my experiences after the round.

I am absolutely jealous, those look amazing, and glad they are working well for you.

has anyone tested these side by side with the callaway jaws line up?? ive hit the jaws, and i love em, but these look like they can get me to change my mind!! any input between the two would be appreciated while i continue my hunt for some to demo out here in japan! thanks in advance THP!!!

Puttin4Bird should be able to help you with that comparison. He was a Callaway staffer in the Morgan Cup and played the Jaws wedges.

has anyone tested these side by side with the callaway jaws line up?? ive hit the jaws, and i love em, but these look like they can get me to change my mind!! any input between the two would be appreciated while i continue my hunt for some to demo out here in japan! thanks in advance THP!!!

If it's not too much to ask could you give an idea of blade length. I don't think I will be able to put my hand on these, so I may have to purchase blindly. I have used Scratch wedges and they had a short blade length. My Wilson tw5 sand wedge is much longer. Is there anyway you could measure this, so I can compare? Thanks

I had the 56* J40 Blacks in play today in Atlanta at the Browns Mill Golf Club.

I chipped with them for a good 30 minutes prior to heading out on the course. THe chipping green was slopped from front to back with not a flat spot in sight. My choices were limited so I started with downhill chips. I put together a short little video for your viewing pleasure.
In all my years playing golf I have only come across one other wedge that imparted the spin these J40s do, Cleveland 588. The J40s put more spin then I used to, as a result I am able to throw the ball closer to my intended target and know that it will stop.

Spoiler
[video=youtube;pA0KDX52-nY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA0KDX52-nY[/video]

I have always tried to put spin on the ball by cutting across it. This would produce the skip, spin and stop shot. I was getting the ball to stop with a square club face. The second video is of is of Uphill shots and really does not do the wedge justice. But a noticed the spin of the ball as it left the wedge. The initial contact it makes with the green is a severe check with a few short bumps and it rolls to a stop. The angle of the camera makes it seems like the release is greater than it really is.

Spoiler

If the rest of the J40 irons and scoring clubs perform as my 56*, there will be a ton of happy people in golf land not to mention the 8 guys picked to rep. Bridgestone at the Morgan Cup 2.0. These wedges should be on the top of everyones list at Demo day 2012.

I will measure these for you and post tomorrow

If it's not too much to ask could you give an idea of blade length. I don't think I will be able to put my hand on these, so I may have to purchase blindly. I have used Scratch wedges and they had a short blade length. My Wilson tw5 sand wedge is much longer. Is there anyway you could measure this, so I can compare? Thanks

Thanks for those vids. I'd be thrilled to have Bridgestone as a sponsor.

Nice vids Tadashi! Looks like the wedge is working well for you around the greens.

Thanks for the vids Tadashi and giving us some info about these. Comparing the spin to the 588's is saying a ton!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Tadashi, I have to admit, hearing sirens in the back ground almost immediately really confirmed you were in the ATL. Nice videos buddy. Thanks for taking the time to put those up.

I'll get to see these wedges in the flesh tomorrow!

Tomorrow? I can't wait to hear more about it. Those sirens were loud, The course is an older part of Atlanta...

Tadashi, I have to admit, hearing sirens in the back ground almost immediately really confirmed you were in the ATL. Nice videos buddy. Thanks for taking the time to put those up.

I'll get to see these wedges in the flesh tomorrow!

Back