2024 Callaway Apex UW

Finally got some more swings in with the UW and I am going to really like using that club…. It was going about 260 and most my distances were running a little short tonight. So when it’s warm and the balls is flying it’s gonna be right where I want it. I love the weight of the UW, heavier feel than a regular wood and the little bigger head then normal hybrid.

I played some SIM golf with @oumagic today. We played the Clive course at the Hideaway. I used my 19 UW on a few of the par 3. Wow it was eye opening. Make me rethink how I approach 200 yard par 3s.

I hit two of the greens with towering shots that carried the pin and held.

After the round I tried it off a tee at the Trackman range. 😍😍😍

IMG_8697.jpeg

I played some SIM golf with @oumagic today. We played the Clive course at the Hideaway. I used my 19 UW on a few of the par 3. Wow it was eye opening. Make me rethink how I approach 200 yard par 3s.

I hit two of the greens with towering shots that carried the pin and held.

After the round I tried it off a tee at the Trackman range. 😍😍😍

View attachment 9235146
Looks Like you need the 21 deg for the Par 3 😁
I'll say again how easy it is to hit my 2 gen. 17deg, my Back was bothering me the Morning I promised my Son Drive Shack time so we went anyway. He hit most the shots while I watched. I chipped a few out to 100 yds then grabbed the UW. Even with soreness and wanting to stand up (NOOOO!!!) during Swing the Ball just Sailed. This Club is just Fargiving.

Looks Like you need the 21 deg for the Par 3 😁
I'll say again how easy it is to hit my 2 gen. 17deg, my Back was bothering me the Morning I promised my Son Drive Shack time so we went anyway. He hit most the shots while I watched. I chipped a few out to 100 yds then grabbed the UW. Even with soreness and wanting to stand up (NOOOO!!!) during Swing the Ball just Sailed. This Club is just Fargiving.
during the sim round I was hitting it 200 ish carry. Then at the end I ripped that monster off. Blew my mind.

Since I have been playing the previous version of the UW and now take it for granted, but the shape and size of the UW is really appealing. I don't play hybrids and when I look down at the UW, I get anything but a hybrid vibe from it. It's a bit like a shortened fairway wood from front to back.

The UW is more versatile than a FW in my opinion in that it's more playable from the rough. I use it mostly off the tee when a driver or fairway wood would be too long and it's a club that I have a lot of confidence with.

Was able to take some swings with the AW for the first time. Hit the 19* with the stock MMT 70 shaft. This was a fun club, especially off the deck. Hit a few off the tee, but I kept pulling it left. Would probably need some more time with it off the tee, but think it could be a weapon in place of my Utility Iron, especially if it can be a good 2nd option off the tee. I was able to elevate the UW very well, and the dispersion was fantastic from this distance. The dispersion chart below are carry distances, and that one at 185 I caught really low on the face, which only got 32 feet off the ground.

When I have a 4i that I play to 200 yds, a 21* might be a good option to gap between this and my 3w. I think the 19* would be a replacement for my 3w. I'm not going to hit it quite as far as my 3w on the top end, but my overall average in this slot would go up, because I believe I would have more consistent performance. After getting warmed up, the next 5 shots were all in a row. This dispersion was crazy good for me, as shown below. I'm usually 50/50 with my 3w, but the AW was fantastic here.

1705065251890.png

I took out the last 3 shots, because these were off the tee. I kept pulling them left, and they were good, but I didn't feel comfortable and would need more time. Outside of that one low shot, this was very, very consistent for me.

1705065652940.png

Was able to take some swings with the AW for the first time. Hit the 19* with the stock MMT 70 shaft. This was a fun club, especially off the deck. Hit a few off the tee, but I kept pulling it left. Would probably need some more time with it off the tee, but think it could be a weapon in place of my Utility Iron, especially if it can be a good 2nd option off the tee. I was able to elevate the UW very well, and the dispersion was fantastic from this distance. The dispersion chart below are carry distances, and that one at 185 I caught really low on the face, which only got 32 feet off the ground.

When I have a 4i that I play to 200 yds, a 21* might be a good option to gap between this and my 3w. I think the 19* would be a replacement for my 3w. I'm not going to hit it quite as far as my 3w on the top end, but my overall average in this slot would go up, because I believe I would have more consistent performance. After getting warmed up, the next 5 shots were all in a row. This dispersion was crazy good for me, as shown below. I'm usually 50/50 with my 3w, but the AW was fantastic here.

View attachment 9235917

I took out the last 3 shots, because these were off the tee. I kept pulling them left, and they were good, but I didn't feel comfortable and would need more time. Outside of that one low shot, this was very, very consistent for me.

View attachment 9235918
I agree, the UW is easier to hit than my 3W. Had same trouble off Tee hooking left. Had the night to think about it and next day on Course I Tee'd it down almost flush and no more Lefts. Really curious what a 21 deg would do for me.

As we shifted into winter and hitting indoors, my swing began to be a bit off. Things are getting back to normal again, though. I was hitting on TrackMan earlier in the week and was seeing ball speed of plus 130 with the 21* UW. I know for you big hitters, that is nothing, but for me, that is fantastic and I am elated.

I agree, the UW is easier to hit than my 3W. Had same trouble off Tee hooking left. Had the night to think about it and next day on Course I Tee'd it down almost flush and no more Lefts. Really curious what a 21 deg would do for me.
Yep. Those lefts off the tee were brutal. But I could only tee it so low, and I think teeing it just about the ground would help out a lot. Great to hear that worked for you!

I finally got to hit the new UW.. it was nice. But honestly.. I prefer the original. There is a shape change that does not fit my eye as well..

I haven’t had any issues going left with it, but I don’t tee it very high.
I finally got to hit the new UW.. it was nice. But honestly.. I prefer the original. There is a shape change that does not fit my eye as well..
I need to look at them again side by side. Now that I have played a few rounds with the new one, I’m noticing any difference in shape.

I’m seeing a very similar performance with the original. It’s hard for me to tell any difference in launch or flight based the handful of rounds I’ve played. I really need to get them on the monitor to compare properly.

I haven’t had any issues going left with it, but I don’t tee it very high.

I need to look at them again side by side. Now that I have played a few rounds with the new one, I’m noticing any difference in shape.

I’m seeing a very similar performance with the original. It’s hard for me to tell any difference in launch or flight based the handful of rounds I’ve played. I really need to get them on the monitor to compare properly.
Maybe it is just my mind… but there is something different to my eye..

Maybe it is just my mind… but there is something different to my eye..
You may be right. Does it look different to you at address? It’s definitely different on the bottom.

I’m still thinking about the 3 perfect high baby draws I hit off tees with the 21° paired with the UST Mamiya LIN-Q m40x red. If I can dial in some decent amount of consistency with that result and hit it well off the deck, it will stay in the bag for a long time.

Sunday, I was in a tight match against @Jtubb17 . I had battled back from down three early, but he had me dormie one stepping to the box on 18. I Hit a good drive, slightly blocked to the right side of the fairway, but close to his drive distance (238 yards, thank Smoke Max). 18 is a long ish par 5 with a whole lot of trouble. A creek runs up the right side then crosses the fairway before turning into a pond up the left side from 150 and around the green. Things get narrow as you approach the green 100 yards and in.

Due to my drive, I had decision to make. I had to carry about 150 to get past the creek, but the safe lay up would still leave me with a long 3rd on a hole I had to win. I had a good lie, so I pulled my 19* UW. I hit one of those shots that makes you fall in love with golf all over again. Flushed. High launch, dead straight. 211 yards leaving me a 70 yard wedge.

That shot made my opponent rethink his strategy. Forcing him to take a more aggressive shot than he wanted. I ended up making a stress free 2 putt par. He made birdie.

That UW shot was my favorite of the weekend.

Sunday, I was in a tight match against @Jtubb17 . I had battled back from down three early, but he had me dormie one stepping to the box on 18. I Hit a good drive, slightly blocked to the right side of the fairway, but close to his drive distance (238 yards, thank Smoke Max). 18 is a long ish par 5 with a whole lot of trouble. A creek runs up the right side then crosses the fairway before turning into a pond up the left side from 150 and around the green. Things get narrow as you approach the green 100 yards and in.

Due to my drive, I had decision to make. I had to carry about 150 to get past the creek, but the safe lay up would still leave me with a long 3rd on a hole I had to win. I had a good lie, so I pulled my 19* UW. I hit one of those shots that makes you fall in love with golf all over again. Flushed. High launch, dead straight. 211 yards leaving me a 70 yard wedge.

That shot made my opponent rethink his strategy. Forcing him to take a more aggressive shot than he wanted. I ended up making a stress free 2 putt par. He made birdie.

That sounds like a fun Golf course

That shot was so good! I was watching from the opposite side of the fairway and heard the contact then saw the ball flight and just shook my head. I’m pretty sure that’s one of the best shots I’ve ever seen you hit from the fairway. You made me play way more aggressively than I wanted to there.

I wish a 23 degree UW was made for the US market.

The more I think about it, I believe the 19* could be a great club to gap between my 4i and 3w. Currently my 4i goes about 200 on approach. My 3w I use goes about 240. This leaves a gap of 40 yards. The 19* UW was carrying a shade under 210, with total distance just under 230.

Maybe a 21* might work better 🤷‍♂️Either way, a club to consider at the top of the bag.

The more I think about it, I believe the 19* could be a great club to gap between my 4i and 3w. Currently my 4i goes about 200 on approach. My 3w I use goes about 240. This leaves a gap of 40 yards. The 19* UW was carrying a shade under 210, with total distance just under 230.

Maybe a 21* might work better 🤷‍♂️Either way, a club to consider at the top of the bag.
I have one. It’s in the same gap as you. The real world off the fairway 211 was perfect. Off a tee and on a sim my 238 was perfect swing. Amazing result

I have one. It’s in the same gap as you. The real world off the fairway 211 was perfect. Off a tee and on a sim my 238 was perfect swing. Amazing result
Gapping does seem to work, now that i write it all out. I really want to hit it off some grass. I only hit it off a mat, and I'd love to test it's versatility from good fairway lies to some from the rough. I know the new sole design should help out of the rough, but I'd still love to give that a go before deciding to add it.

Gapping does seem to work, now that i write it all out. I really want to hit it off some grass. I only hit it off a mat, and I'd love to test it's versatility from good fairway lies to some from the rough. I know the new sole design should help out of the rough, but I'd still love to give that a go before deciding to add it.
If it helps…think of that sound. It’s even better outside off grass.

I wish a 23 degree UW was made for the US market.
Me too. I’d go 19 and 23 instead of 17 and 21, then drop a hybrid and add a fairway wood.

Back