How to swear off flying

MGoBlue

2021 Titleist Experience!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
That would definitely keep me driving for a while.

Lucky no one was sucked out of the plane, even at 20min of flight time

the 747 Max 8 was the one that had the issues with the flight leveling autopilot also that resulted in 2 crashes

Not a good run for those planes

the 747 Max 8 was the one that had the issues with the flight leveling autopilot also that resulted in 2 crashes

Nope, that was the 737 Max 9, if you mean the recent ones where MCAS caused the plane to dive.

Nope, that was the 737 Max 9, if you mean the recent ones where MCAS caused the plane to dive.

we're both a little off---you are correct it was the 737, but it was the Max 8

Season 1 Airplane GIF by Rick and Morty

In no surprise, the media can’t make up its mind on what model plane it was. Subject line says 747, article says 737.

“On Saturday, the airline said it would temporarily ground all 65 of its 737 Max 9 aircraft while it conducts maintenance and safety inspections”

Regardless of model, 20min into flight, they were likely close to around 30k feet.

IMG_9657.png

I’m still amazed at that speed, pressure, and upper level winds, that a row of planes didn’t get sucked out. Then again, safety measures and reinforcements to seats may be slightly different than 40-50yds ago

At least the guy finally had some leg room.

I'm not a fan of flying anymore but I still do at least once a year.

I had a very turbulent flight a few years ago...it was bad. Compartments opening, people almost coming out of their sears, lots and screaming and you could hear a few crying. The women beside me grabbed my hand and would not let go. I was laughing the whole time....guess it was my way of rationalizing what was happening. The pilots dropped us down and the turbulence stopped. People started cheering. It was pretty funny. The person next to me finally let go of my hand and I had to flex my hand several times to get the blood flowing again. She said sorry like 10 times

Good times

I had a very turbulent flight a few years ago...it was bad. Compartments opening, people almost coming out of their sears, lots and screaming and you could hear a few crying. The women beside me grabbed my hand and would not let go. I was laughing the whole time....guess it was my way of rationalizing what was happening. The pilots dropped us down and the turbulence stopped. People started cheering. It was pretty funny. The person next to me finally let go of my hand and I had to flex my hand several times to get the blood flowing again. She said sorry like 10 times

Good times
Feels like a good time to try and make them laugh a bit when it’s all over, just to ease the discomfort.

In no surprise, the media can’t make up its mind on what model plane it was. Subject line says 747, article says 737.

“On Saturday, the airline said it would temporarily ground all 65 of its 737 Max 9 aircraft while it conducts maintenance and safety inspections”

Regardless of model, 20min into flight, they were likely close to around 30k feet.

View attachment 9234800

I’m still amazed at that speed, pressure, and upper level winds, that a row of planes didn’t get sucked out. Then again, safety measures and reinforcements to seats may be slightly different than 40-50yds ago
Now that I look at the photo, that looks like a narrow body, meaning 737 instead of 747.

Explosive decompressions are harsh, but the certification process for seats I think takes that into account nowadays.

But being up at 30k feet, those are long minutes until you're back down below 13k and don't need extra oxygen.

Last edited:

Good times

I was on a flight from Chicago to Phoenix once, after about 6 hours of delays (because, Chicago...) we finally got up and the first 60 minutes or so was the bumpiest i've ever seen. Like when it's not just rocky but loud...Like it feels like things are hitting the plane

Finally things smooth out and the flight attendant starts doing some drink service, it's like 1AM at this point. So i ask for a rum and coke and she says "first one is on us, it's been a long day" ....So i said pretty much immediately, "OK, bring me the second one too" lol

Now that I look at the rhe photo, that looks like a narrow body, meaning 737 instead of 747.

Explosive decompressions are harsh, but the certification process for seats I think takes that into account nowadays.

But being up at 30k feet, those are long minutes until you're back down below 13k and don't need extra oxygen.
Even with the airbags, gotta get down and fast. Solid piloting by the captain to get back on ground with no injuries or issues to passengers.

Even with the airbags, gotta get down and fast. Solid piloting by the captain to get back on ground with no injuries or issues to passengers.
Absolutely, that's an emergency descent initiated by the pilot flying, either the captain or FO. Then you come down as fast as you can without causing more damage. It's one of the so called memory items that you need to be able to do at any given time pretty much instantly.

But great job by the crew in executing it and getting on the ground quickly.

Crazy.

Flying is still the safest way to travel and it's not even close.
Perhaps safest as far as accidents are concerned, but it is absolutely amazing how many people get very ill from all kinds of bugs few days after a flight.

Last edited:
Absolutely, that's an emergency descent initiated by the pilot flying, either the captain or FO. Then you come down as fast as you can without causing more damage. It's one of the so called memory items that you need to be able to do at any given time pretty much instantly.

But great job by the crew in executing it and getting on the ground quickly.
IMG_9658.png

Took a min to find. Apparently aircraft in Fl are just going full send to get above the storm front asap.

3k ft and change to get down, not as bad as 17k haha

Apparently the FAA has just grounded a bunch of 737 Max 9.

Flying Alaska on a max to Cancun in 4 weeks, so that’s perfect timing!

Back