New Irons / Shafts = Sore Arm?

TrueFX

Reaction score
Handicap
I received my new custom fit Mizuno JPX 800 Pro Irons on July 15th.

The Irons came with the following shaft :

Project X Steel Rifle 6.0
Stiff
+1"
Mid-Size Grips

My old irons were TaylorMade R7's with the standard flex shafts that they shipped with.

I immediately went to the range the following Saturday and started swinging away. I hit for maybe a half hour and noticed that my right arm was getting very sore.

My arm has been VERY sore ever since and hitting the irons on the range only makes it worst.

I am in pretty good shape and go to the gym 3 days a week so I wouldn't think the added weight would make this much of a difference.

Is this a common side effect when shifting to a heavier shaft? Is it temporary? How long can I expect it to take before my arms get used to the new weight? Or worst, do I need to go back to the lighter / softer shaft?

Thanks

Is it possible that you might have pulled or torn something? I really can't see that upping a few grams in a shaft would cause any pain or discomfort. What part of your arm is sore?

The deltoid on my right arm.

I am a right handed golfer.

I went up to a 130 gram shaft and it was a large jump in weight about a year ago.

I took it easy the first few times out with them just to get used to the weight. After that, I would take full swings and never experienced any discomfort.

Like 23 said, maybe you pulled something. Were you hitting on mats? Those always do a number on me.

The shafts are most likely the culprit, imo. Wait til your arm feels better and then go to the range with your old clubs. See if you're still hurting afterwards

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Traded my old clubs in :(

I may have to take a week or two off and let my arm rest.

Did you warm up or just start swinging away? I think you just pulled something. I had my right shoulder operated on twice so I have to warm up for a little while. It shouldn't take longer than 10 days to get better. If the pain doesn't go away then it is prob a tear.

Did you chunk one. That could put some strain on your shoulder? How hard were you swinging? I know when I get new clubs in my hand I just want to come out of my shoes. Hard swing + fat shot = sore delt?

The reason I don't think it would be the added weight is that with products like weighted training aids like speed sticks, weighted clubs, and exterior weights, you don't hear much about injuries. These products come in hundreds of grams heavier than what you upgraded to.

Back