Do Use a Different Ball in the Off Season?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Since I can't post scores, I'll use different golf balls in the off season. Off season rounds are more like practice anyway. In addition, I keep two golf balls in my pocket and rotate them each hole. I don't know if keeping them warm helps, but I figure it can't hurt.

Here in the Northeast I do play some Winter golf. Definitely go to a softer two piece like a Duosoft or maybe the Supersoft this year.

Yes I do tend to go towards a softer ball in the cold months. I usually play CSX and will switch to a 2 piece when it gets under 40.

I have QStar Tour for the colder season here.

Curious if anyone uses the std Chrome Soft as a winter ball? A lot of folks switch to a 2 piece surlyn ball, it seems the cs would do everything you want in cold weather and still offer good greenside spin.

I have some used SuperSofts that I use at this time of year.

I will play a softer ball in the colder weather. Wilson 50 elite or Maxfli Softfli's are the go to choices for me.

Absolutely not. My balls are my balls even when they're cold. There's no point to playing with other ones.

For the folks that switch, why?

Outside of going yellow to better track against the grey sky I try to play the same ball

When the courses get softer I like to go to a ball with less spin. I see a lot of one hop and stop chips and pitches in the late fall to early spring. Once handicap season rolls around I see my usual release. Instead of adapting my game, I switch balls to keep my short game consistent. It’s a moving target so I play a lot of different balls, including surlyn or ionomer cover balls.

Outside of going yellow to better track against the grey sky I try to play the same ball
I generally use cheaper ones because the courses are generally muddy or it’s bad weather. I don’t mind hitting one off to the right etc. and leaving it. It’s honestly the only reason I switch.

I will play a cheap ball to drive with in leaf season.
Indoor golf I'll play the same TP5X till the cover is just gone. Thats dozens of rounds. No real aerodynamics to worry about the wear affecting.

I'm not sure I get the point of changing golf balls. There's enough variables to worry about without the ball being one of them

During the season I save any balls I find on the course (I'm not a ball hawk) and when fall comes I will use these balls instead of my preferred ball. Fall and early spring golf in NE Ohio is usually cold, wet and soft. No sense in using a premium ball when you are lucky to even find your shot in these kind of conditions.

For me it is too many leaves on the ground you can lose a ball in play very easily. I’d rather play one I don’t care about losing and not spend too much time searching.

My off-season is short enough that it never occurred to me to switch. Might use the scruffier ones out of the bag but that's about it

When the courses get softer I like to go to a ball with less spin. I see a lot of one hop and stop chips and pitches in the late fall to early spring. Once handicap season rolls around I see my usual release. Instead of adapting my game, I switch balls to keep my short game consistent. It’s a moving target so I play a lot of different balls, including surlyn or ionomer cover balls.
I’ve been playing the RB 566 the last three rounds and I’ve seen exact that. Hop and Stop on damp greens. I also playing balls that I don’t mind losing in the leaves. At $50 a dozen for the good ones, I’m not losing them in the leaves.

The “I don’t care if I lose it so let’s go cheap” approach makes some sense to me. Thanks to those chiming in.

The “I don’t care if I lose it so let’s go cheap” approach makes some sense to me. Thanks to those chiming in.
Also when October comes, for me at least, scoring gets tough as the weather gets cooler, so I use the time to tweak the bag and try different clubs and balls.

I like softer feel in cooler temps.

Also when October comes, for me at least, scoring gets tough as the weather gets cooler, so I use the time to tweak the bag and try different clubs and balls.
I 100% mess around with different clubs or shots after posting season.

Cold like below 40’s mornings I’ll go with a supersoft. Warmer I’ll go with chromesoft or prov1

I plan to use different balls this offseason. I have such a large stash of different balls that I need to deplete. So between now and April I will start using those and save my OnCore balls for spring and summer going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will play a softer ball in the colder weather. Wilson 50 elite or Maxfli Softfli's are the go to choices for me.

I have some Maxfli Softfli and Straightfli that I have been saving for this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back