Blades and Pure Muscle Back

Hahaha, nope! Just different strokes for different folks. Long run I guarantee CB's way more forgiving and better off for the time being.

ok thought maybe I was missing out on something lol

In a golf column I read yesterday, the columnist was of the opinion that any golfer (including high cappers) might be better off hitting a blade in order to get better via the feed back. But he warned that although he suggested the modern blade he did not suggest a 'pure" muscle back iron. Would you consider the TM Tour Preferred MB a "pure" muscle back iron?

Thanks for your input.

First off, yes I would consider the TP MB a "pure" muscle. The MC's would be what they're referring to I believe.

I can see where the columnist is getting. It can be useful more as a training aid of many high handicappers. This being because a bunch of your game improvement clubs (to me atleast) and super game improvement clubs don't provide any sort of feedback on where you hit the ball on the face until you're looking at where the ball is going. Would I suggest every high handicapper get blades, absolutely not.

Last edited:
Why?

The question in the thread was what is meant by feedback off of a blade iron. Simple questions.

The question of, "Should amateurs play blades so they get better?" Has been covered a lot in threads, but so has many topics. Do you "beat a dead horse" when somebody asks what's a better putter blade or mallet?

Sorry about that, I super-skimmed and thought this was a blades vs CB thing again. Gotta quit being crabby, its friday....:D

Sorry about that, I super-skimmed and thought this was a blades vs CB thing again. Gotta quit being crabby, its friday....:D

I kind of started by saying that I could find no reason for a high handicap amateur to hit blades.

I can see this to a lot of amateurs quitting the game soon after they start it if they started with blades.

I can see this to a lot of amateurs quitting the game soon after they start it if they started with blades.

SGI and GI irons like the reward of hitting good shots. Blades make that more difficult.

I guess I will just keep my comments to myself about the MB's. You all know how I feel. And I'm a mid to high handicapper.

I played 9 today from the forward tees with my 6-iron on down. Anyway I was playing my RAZR X MB's (steel shafts). I shot a 40. The other irons I have are the Adams Idea Tech V3 Hybrid Irons (graphite shafts). I was making better contact with the MB's (finding the sweet spot more often), hitting them straighter (higher with fewer hooks), and longer. For example, on one par three I always used the Adams 7-hybrid iron (33º), today I used the MB 8-iron 39º. The conditions were very similar. I also find the MB's easier to hit out of the rough.

Did I hit some poor shot with the MB's? Yes, but fewer than with the V3's.

I guess I will just keep my comments to myself about the MB's. You all know how I feel. And I'm a mid to high handicapper.

There's nothing wrong with think that blades are best for you. I know they're not best for me. I also think cannot think of one reason why a mid to high handicaper should play blades, other than they want to.

I have been vocal about how I believe I am playing an iron set that best suits a skill level above mine. I bought my irons after a really good swing day. I should be playing something with a little more forgiveness.

I personally think the whole feedback thing is crap. I know when I hit it off the toe, heel, thin, or even miss the ball by a groove or two immediately with my Burner 2.0's. You don't need to be sore after a bad shot to learn! Why do some people make it sound as if anyone playing a GI iron has no clue? Most of us know when and how we missed even with GI irons..... PERIOD!

I personally think the whole feedback thing is crap. I know when I hit it off the toe, heel, thin, or even miss the ball by a groove or two immediately with my Burner 2.0's. You don't need to be sore after a bad shot to learn! Why do some people make it sound as if anyone playing a GI iron has no clue? Most of us know when and how we missed even with GI irons..... PERIOD!

The feedback is a bit more pronounced on the 2.0's than my previous iron set, at least for me. The Diablo Edge's hid my mishits pretty well where the 2.0's punish me a little bit.

There is no way am I good enough to play a full set of blades, but I think I am good enough to play blades with the short irons. This is why I use cavity long and mid irons and blade short irons. Best of both worlds for me this way.

I think a well struck shot with ANY club feels great...cast/forged/blade/SGI...and a missed shot will give you "feedback" too.

I think a well struck shot with ANY club feels great...cast/forged/blade/SGI...and a missed shot will give you "feedback" too.

ding ding ding.

The hard part is finding a club that you can strike well often.

There's nothing wrong with think that blades are best for you. I know they're not best for me. I also think cannot think of one reason why a mid to high handicaper should play blades, other than they want to.

I have been vocal about how I believe I am playing an iron set that best suits a skill level above mine. I bought my irons after a really good swing day. I should be playing something with a little more forgiveness.

I didn't say I thought blades were best for me. It's what I bought cuz I liked them. I hit a few different sets and came back to the MB's. It's my money to spend and my game to lose... At least I look good doing it... LOL I may be a mid to high handicapper but my iron game isn't the reason for it. Which I'm sure some of you are the same way. I blow up 2 to 3 holes and there goes my score. By blow ups I mean an errant tee shot with a penalty stroke or scalding a chip and then 3 putting! My iron game isn't bad. I love the way my clubs look and feel. Am going to be regripping them tho... just not liking the stock grips...

Agreed Sean. Feedback is there for most sets. I have never gamed a SGI set, so I have no clue on those, but I would feel pretty safe saying you can tell how you hit the ball with nearly all GI irons - blades and still learn from that feedback.

Agreed Sean. Feedback is there for most sets. I have never gamed a SGI set, so I have no clue on those, but I would feel pretty safe saying you can tell how you hit the ball with nearly all GI irons - blades and still learn from that feedback.
Yeah, I think you can feel a good shot no matter what club you play. SGI and GI clubs let you know when you made poor contact too. The results are still good though.

I am no pro, I still play blades in 6 up. Why, I like them. Sure I get frustrated, but, don't we all after a bad shot? Preference is so important in a fickle game. I had to eliminate the woulda shoulda debate that raged in my head. I feel better now. Do I think blades are for everyone, no. Sometimes the absence of ringing hands is a good thing.

I can also ponder the fact that yes, ego and lack of consistency with irons may help someone leave the game. At the same time, it may bring them closer. I know I was and still am determined to 'learn' how to hit my blades consistent. It brings me back even after poor shots. I like not having clubs not compensating for poor swings. Some may not. I like a small profile at address, it helps me focus. Lastly, I like that blades are more difficult to sell. I alleviate some club lust... Hehe

You're right. I do have a set of SGI's and they provide as much feedback as the MB's as I have. I have been fit for both sets, I just find the sweet spot more often with the MB's. I still hit my fare share of poor shots, just fewer with the MB's. And, my misses with the MB's aren't as exaggerated as they are with the SGI's.

I get annoyed though when people start saying one feels more "buttery" than the other. A well struck iron shot with a cast SGI feels just as good as a well struck shot with a forged MB...at least in my opinion. I also don't think playing a blade, or whatever, will make one a better golfer (as some, including Bobby Clampett, claim). IMHO a golfer should play what works for him. And those that call GI's and SGI's "shovels" annoy me most of all. Golf clubs are tools. The goal of golf is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest amount of strokes. The scorecard could care less what clubs you use to do it.

I didn't say I thought blades were best for me. It's what I bought cuz I liked them. ...

That is the best reason to buy them brother. If you like them, rock them hard. Rock them like a hurricane. There is little better than the look of a set of blades.

Well said. Confidence, IMHO, breeds consistency.

Couldn't agree more! Confidence is a huge factor at every level of the game.

Back