the only downside is that I didn't feel like I really got a round in.

My club tourneys that are scrambles usually use a format where you have to use each player's drive at least twice per 9, so that makes it a bit more interesting.

My club tourneys that are scrambles usually use a format where you have to use each player's drive at least twice per 9, so that makes it a bit more interesting.

See someone else's post about that. They had the same kind of rule but they used his drive like 15 times. Just because you are supposed to, if no one is around to see it, they can say anything.

I enjoy scrambles.

2 weeks ago I was on the winning team that will represent our club in Austin at Barton Creek this year!

It was a modified scramble where the player who hit the selected shot can not hit the next shot. ABCD player format with a minimum team handicap of 45 and only one player can be under 7.5.

We shot -14 the first round and -7 the second. All teams were marshaled because so much was on the line.

Lots of fun!

did you leave driver in the bag?

i used to play in a lot of fun type scrambles, but never played in any serious "money" scrambles, since scrambles are often on the honor system. i think they are a great way to try out shots on the course that you might not otherwise., especially if somebody else already has a safe shot. I have at times wondered if the winning team didn't fudge a little (or a lot), but I can honestly say I never witnessed anyone I ever played with in a scramble actually cheat.

I use to play in one or two a year back a few years ago, but I never really viewed scrambles as being golf. They are really just something that resembles golf where etiquette and rules are thrown to the wind. Low scores in scrambles really don't mean a whole lot. JMO of course.

I play in 4-5 scrambles a year that our company sponsors. I enjoy playing in them especially when I get to pick the teams. We have won the GSU COBA the past 4 years and look to make the Bulloch County Chamber of Commerce 4 in a row in September. Some people don't get how you shoot so low but you have mulligans, move up holes (play par 5 from ladies tee), and string. Our lowest round is a 48 and we won by 1.

I love playing in scrambles and do 3 or 4 year. A friend holds one in the spring and one in the fall at his course so those a cheap and competitive. I WILL NOT pay for the charity events that charge 3 or 4 times the regular fee at a course. I have no problems playing in them, as long as I don't have to pay for it. I don't like the goofy rules like mulligans, having to use a drive from everyone 3 times, etc. Just play the scramble and don't confuse everyone. That is where you run into problems.

The best score I can think of was 16 under, and we lost by 2. Tough conditions on a tough course we felt pretty good driving in from the last hole. The best round I can remember was only 13 under, but the temp was in the 40's with a little bit of wind, and a gentle rain started when we were on the first green that never let up. Played through it all. We were 4 shots clear of the field that day. We picked up an eagle and 3 birdies without even needing to putt.

I enjoy a scramble or 2 every year. Usually get to play one for work...usually dont even sniff the top 10

I enjoy them but I try not to go in with the need to win. I have witnessed The pencil mightier than the Club.

I play in about 5-6 per year and enjoy them - two of them are charities. The other times are with a group of guys who play on Saturday mornings. I get invited a few times per year. We break into two foursomes and try to level out the skill level. We play a scramble but don't pay for score, we count birdies, sandies, polies, greenies, etc... for $1 each. The most I've seen change hands is maybe $5-$10 per golfer (usually less), which gets thrown into the group lunch bill.

A lot of fun, a lot of razzing, and absolutely NO cheating - we police ourselves.

When we don't play scrambles, we play a traditional 2-person best ball.

I love the idea of going out and playing usually last in my group. Getting to bomb every drive, fire at every flag, hit huge high risk shots, and hit smacking putts a good 6 feet by (just to give it a chance). Yeah scrambles are a hell of a lot of fun.

Ive noticed that scores are normally lower when there isnt a cash prize. Im thinking a little less cheating is going on. But I love them, I do 4-5 a year and they are always a blast.

I do enjoy scrambles. I play in 2-3 per year, maybe.

I don't enjoy the sandbagging that comes with most of them.

However, I have been on teams that have finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and others that have been beaten out by teams with a very high handicap that magically shot in the low 60s anyway and finish with a low 50s or even 40s net score to win. Riiiiiiiiiiiight...

I play in scrambles a lot.

One is a fundraiser for our Sheriff's Dept and it's usually me and 3 of the same guys every year. We almost always shoot -17 and win 2nd or 3rd place.

I played in a two person women's invitational last year at a really nice course and won 1st in our flight with a -2.

I played in a four person women's invitational this year and we won 1st in our flight with a -9 at the same course.

We have a 2 person blind draw scramble (1 A player and 1 B player) every Wednesday night that I play in sometimes. My team won the last time I played as I was lucky enough to be paired with a +3 handicapper. We shot -6 on 9 holes. That's usually what it takes to win that scramble.

We have a ladies play day every month at courses in our area. The format is almost always a scramble. They usually draw teams that even out the handicaps so that everyone has an equal chance to win. My team won the one we played at my home course even though we had the highest total handicap of anyone. Home course advantage! :)

It's my favorite format. No pressure!

Scrambles are fun but I don't ever go in expecting to win. I know alot of the golfers around here and some of the scores that get posted are just laughable.

Scrambles are fun but I don't ever go in expecting to win. I know alot of the golfers around here and some of the scores that get posted are just laughable.

I agree to some extent. There are a couple I won't play in because of the obvious cheating. Most of the ones I play in now are pretty honest, especially the ones that are all women. The women in those things are sticklers for the rules BIG time and I've never heard of anyone cheating in those. It's the tournaments with the beer carts going around giving out free beer that seem to have the most cheating. It's just a big party.

I've played a few of them. As a networking meet and greet, I love them. Comparing to a regular round I'll take the regular round anyday. I can't even remember scoring as it seemed trivial.

scrambles are a great time. gives you the chance to really go after shots and pound the ball off the tee.
it's fun to play, BS and drink with other guys and to be able to compete as a team.
i play in almost 5 every year. some 2 man, but most 4 man.

my best 2man score is EVEN and has been good enough for 2nd place twice and 3rd place once (in a chip-off playoff).
my best 4man was -13, tied for first, 2 playoff holes to decide...we got 2nd.

I play in 2-4 scrambles a year. Not much prize money to be had to the cheating isn't overly apparent. Best we ever shot was 5 under. We weren't even close that year. But that's why I think there isn't much cheating in ours, the winners are sometimes 10-11 under and sometimes only 4-5. The year we shot a -5 the winner was 12 under. Another year we shot -2, the winner was -5. We play every other year at Castle Pines where the International used to be held... tough course!

I never get why people would cheat in a scramble, I guess if it is for charity people think being a cheater is canceled out by donating money?

Spotters are key - had those yesterday which was big. That way the field is level and it is actually a competition. Great points.

Spotters are key - had those yesterday which was big. That way the field is level and it is actually a competition. Great points.

Loved playing in the scramble we did with spotters. They didn't make themselves prominent, but you knew they were out there. Plus they helped a couple of our guys find their tee shots.

If there's no one watching, it's all about which group got the pencil with the eraser.

Ive played three scambles this year and had a great time. I played one down in Daphnie Alabama. They did flights on that one which leveled the playing field. they even threw in a twist and put three pins on two of the par threes. one pin added a stroke one took away one and one kept the score the same. It added some tought to what hole to hit for. The other two were on Ft Stewarts course(Taylor Creek) One was sponsered by USGA and they had some great prizes. Ive yet to place at any scramble but made many friends and had a great time doing them.

speaking of scrambles. I am playing in a 2 man scramble next month. Does anyone use a distance ball for the tee shot then switch in the fairway? I have heard of it before but how much distance can you expect to get? is it worth it?

Back