taylormade xft vs titleist vokey

jesse

Reaction score
Handicap
hey guys im looking to buy a new wedge. 56 taylormade or titleist vokey? can decide which is better? more spin? cheaper?

They both spin virtually the same for me. Both have maxed out grooves.
xFT wedges are probably a little less money right now. Plus cheaper down the road with replacement face plates if they still have them.
Have you hit them? Which one felt better to you?
THere are tons of great wedges out there from many companies, it will come down to what works best for you.

I LOVE my xFT's. My feel/touch is finally getting to where I can just look at the green and be just about perfect on distance. I also get good spin on about any ball considered mid-range and up. I had some troubles with a AD333 I used the other day, but Diablos love my wedges.

Shop around; I got mine for like 55 each!! :bananadance:
That's like 2 for 1 vokey.

They both spin virtually the same for me. Both have maxed out grooves.
xFT wedges are probably a little less money right now. Plus cheaper down the road with replacement face plates if they still have them.
Have you hit them? Which one felt better to you?
THere are tons of great wedges out there from many companies, it will come down to what works best for you.

I agree with JB....I tried the xFT, Vokey, and a really old Nike and couldn't tell a huge difference in feel but the monitor said i hit the old Nike a bit further (like 1-2yds). Honestly for me it came down to price and what I already have as my irons.

Price H-L
Vokey > xFT > Nike
Performance H-L
Nike > Vokey/xFT

I got new xFTs because of the replacement face plates, the KBS Hi-Rev shaft (match the feel of my other iron shafts), the good look and feel. Performance wise most wedge heads perform about the same for me, it is just the look and feel that it comes down to for me. Good deals on xFTs right now.

I got new xFTs because of the replacement face plates, the KBS Hi-Rev shaft (match the feel of my other iron shafts), the good look and feel. Performance wise most wedge heads perform about the same for me, it is just the look and feel that it comes down to for me. Good deals on xFTs right now.

I saw a 60* xFT used at my local GG for $50ish? is that good?

I have to throw in my support for the xft wedges, I just got three of them, and couldn't be happier with the performance.

I have had xFT's and if it's between this and Vokey's I think you have to go vokey. The xFT's don't spin as much as other wedges. I have talked about this with one of the taylormade staff players. The only way he made his work by grinding down the sole to an edge that looks razor sharp and that you would just cut through the turf like no other.

By why are you picking just these two? I'm currently testing/playing with Eidolon wedges and these are some great wedges, feel, look, spin, it has the whole package. Plus they have deals out there right now where its cheaper than both of the options you have picked. Look a little further down for my thread about my experience with their customer service.

I have had xFT's and if it's between this and Vokey's I think you have to go vokey. The xFT's don't spin as much as other wedges. I have talked about this with one of the taylormade staff players. The only way he made his work by grinding down the sole to an edge that looks razor sharp and that you would just cut through the turf like no other.

Id love to know more about this. In our launch monitor testing, the spin between the two is virtually identical. The grooves are virtually identical as well. What can you attribute the extra spin to? We have spoken to a lot of their tour staff at the events and never heard this before from one.

Id love to know more about this. In our launch monitor testing, the spin between the two is virtually identical. The grooves are virtually identical as well. What can you attribute the extra spin to? We have spoken to a lot of their tour staff at the events and never heard this before from one.

I wish I knew more. The guy I work with on a regular basis for my golf game is a taylormade staff guy. And in my talks with him he has told me numerous times that he has tried almost every loft/lie/bounce combinations and he just couldn't get them to spin like he use to. Prehaps he was talking about a particular shot? I'm not sure. But when he came back from the PGA National Championship in Hershey, he mentioned they grinded his sole down and that made a difference. I haven't seen it yet, but he was going to show me next time.

i just bought 4 xFTs to fill some gaps i have liked them a lot took me a while to hit them consistent but i think it was more me getting used to hitting a new 60* and 64* spin is great for me i did stock up on some of the old z grooves since i don't think they are making them anymore.

I wish I knew more. The guy I work with on a regular basis for my golf game is a taylormade staff guy. And in my talks with him he has told me numerous times that he has tried almost every loft/lie/bounce combinations and he just couldn't get them to spin like he use to. Prehaps he was talking about a particular shot? I'm not sure. But when he came back from the PGA National Championship in Hershey, he mentioned they grinded his sole down and that made a difference. I haven't seen it yet, but he was going to show me next time.

Please do. I would love to hear more about this. We have yet to see anything that suggests that these offer less spin and in fact most of the wedges with maxed out grooves offered very similar spin.

Not sure if this helps you at all, but I got an email this morning that xFT wedges are on sale at NailedItGolf.com Link is below. Have 4 lofts in LH (52°, 54°, 56° & 58°) and 2 lofts in RH (56°, 58°). Webpage says RH only, but under the drop down box, it clearly lists LH models and lofts.

Nailed It Golf

I really love my XFT 56, and at some point will get the 52 possibly unless I get the Burner 2.0's. There was a lefty 2.0 set on ebay last night for 400, but unfortunately no spare money right now to get them.

Not sure if this helps you at all, but I got an email this morning that xFT wedges are on sale at NailedItGolf.com Link is below. Have 4 lofts in LH (52°, 54°, 56° & 58°) and 2 lofts in RH (56°, 58°). Webpage says RH only, but under the drop down box, it clearly lists LH models and lofts.

Nailed It Golf

Link is for Tp Z wedge, not the xFT. No removable faceplate in the Z series.

When I first decided I needed new wedges I was 100% sure I was going to go with the Vokey's. That is, until I tried them out along with the xFT's. The Vokey's felt too heavy to me and a bit unresponsive. The xFT's blew me away as I hit them in the demo bay. So based on feel I went with them and have never looked back.

I actually had a 52 and 56 Vokey I bought this winter and like Beanie, thought the Vokeys were too heavy and unreponsive. So I traded them for the XFT with the replaceable face plate. I am very pleased with how it plays and have hit better sand shots and shots around the green with this club than any I have had in a good while.

Link is for Tp Z wedge, not the xFT. No removable faceplate in the Z series.

If you scroll down, there are 4 other TM deals. I didn't post the exact address of the xFT because then it didn't show the (Demo) Burner 2.0's on sale or the SuperTri. Here's the correct address --> HERE . All you had to do was scroll down like 4 clicks.......

RE: Spin

I have NO trouble getting a ball to stop within a few inches of the mark. (Depending on lie, I'm sure)
But most of my wedge shots that are at least 3/4 swing hop and stop dead. That hop might be an inch, or a foot or so, heck I've even dead plugged a couple. I must've really caught one good last weekend because I backed one up a good six feet. Something I don't normally see.

FWIW, I hit the TW9s before this and have only goofed around and hit others' wedges on occasion. Haven't ever hit a Vokey so can't be genuine on this, but for me, I'm happy and like I said, I got 2 xFTs for like 110 shipped.

I played Vokeys for a number of years. With the non-conforming grooves. The really spun at first. I though these clubs were the cat's behind. I occasionally would catch a short sided chip on the heel, and they really dug into the ground, but I loved them. Recently I received three xFTs for being a The Morgan Cup participant. Thought I should disclose that. I never considered these wedges before, and even was a little skeptical going in. But in just two weeks I can say I have not hit wedges better. I'm not even sure why. As a real digger, I think the slightly more rounded leading edge has help me slide the club through the turf, and the faces for some reason look huge to me. Before playing them, I would have said that was a problem, but it has turned out to be a positive.

I'm really surprised how much I love them. Can't wait to play them the next two days as they led directly to a couple birdies last week.

They're selling everywhere for $89.00 brand new I believe.

Kevin

I dont like the idea of interchangable/movable anything, so vokeys for me.

Back