Fixing a nasty slice

fishymehta

Ahh... life is good
Reaction score
Handicap
14.0 OOB
I have always had a pretty nasty slice, since I started golfing 4 yrs ago. As a result, I hit very few fairway and lose a couple balls per round.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix a slice? Grip, stance, body motion, anything?

It starts with grip and stance. Where do you hold the grip in your hands? Where do the "v's" of your hands point.

I need the grip in your fingers not in your palm. From there for a right handed player I need the v of your left hand pointing to your right ear. The v of the right hand parallel and pointing to your right shoulder. Can you get me a picture of your grip, setup and swing? If so I can get you going and we can knock out that slice.

I have had the same problem with a consistent slice. The most recent time I went to the range, I (randomly enough) thought back to an article I read a while back. I would normally tend to have my hands even or so with the ball, I started moving my hands back from there, to about the head of the driver and while I still happen to go right, it isn't nearly as drastic.

Sorry if I've posted this too soon, but I know this helped me.

I would have to say grip, stance, and swing plane (out-to-in vs. in-to-out) are all responsible for this. When I started playing I had a huge slice as well. I worked with a pro at my work for about 10 mins and he had my grip and stance completely changed. Also, he used the term "hit to right field" to remind me to try to swing in-to-out. It changed my game completely. Obviously it wasn't an instant fix, it required a lot of practice to get a repeatable swing that was "in the right direction". But I got rid of the slice and hit the ball pretty straight now. As recommended above, get someone who knows what they are talking about (like amollerud) to help you with all of this, put in the work, and your game will improve.

This is my issue too, I'll br interested to hear the suggestions. I either slice the ball or hit a dead pull "way" left.

I would say it's multiple things as others have stated.

Grip - maybe too weak. When you hit the ball the club face opens.
Stance - You may not be shift the weight correctly. Your body is still on the back foot.
Swing plane - Keep in mind In to out not the other way around. Out to in will create a chopping motion.
Position of hands - when you make contact with the ball did you roll over your right wrist (righty player) or is it still angled. If our wrists don't come back to it's starting position at contact all hell breaks loose :D
Swing speed - are you trying to kill the ball or are you taking smooth swings to make solid contact.

My biggest fix was rolling my wrists over and making solid contact. I'm still new to this game but these were some of the things my friend has been helping me with.

This is my issue too, I'll br interested to hear the suggestions. I either slice the ball or hit a dead pull "way" left.

This was my issue, the main reason I went and got a lesson. My problem was I was lagging on my downswing, not transferring my weight to the front. Got that resolved and still had a "fade" I guess thats what you call it or a pull left. Now at address I have my hands in front of the ball, which helps me set my wrists. This has helped a ton for me, I was getting the club head to the ball before my hands which if the face was slightly closed it was the pull. If I lagged back it was the slice. Hope this may help some, I am by know means a good player but this helped a bunch for me.

Guys lets remember that this is the ask the pro section for those offering advice here.

Guys lets remember that this is the ask the pro section for those offering advice here.

Oh sorry I didn't even notice it was in the "Ask the Pro section"

Please disregard what 2 cents in injected.

Yeah, I think the problem with my swing was that I was too tense with my rotation and my grip was too strong. Ever since I relaxed a little bit, my swing has been smoother and my slice has turned into a small fade (which I like). Another bonus: my distance increased by almost 10 yards!

The main way to go about fixing a slice is understanding what happens in the swing that results in the slice. First it typically starts with a takeaway that is too far inside. Most think if you take it back flatter you can swing down flatter, and it is the exact opposite of that. Second from the top down the club needs to drop and the right shoulder needs to start working down before you start to turn back to the ball. Slow motion drills feeling the club drop in behind you is huge right now. On the range put a headcover just inside your ball at setup, and make sure you don't hit the cover on the down swing.

The main way to go about fixing a slice is understanding what happens in the swing that results in the slice. First it typically starts with a takeaway that is too far inside. Most think if you take it back flatter you can swing down flatter, and it is the exact opposite of that. Second from the top down the club needs to drop and the right shoulder needs to start working down before you start to turn back to the ball. Slow motion drills feeling the club drop in behind you is huge right now. On the range put a headcover just inside your ball at setup, and make sure you don't hit the cover on the down swing.

Andy,
One question...I read online that another solution is to work on bringing the clubhead straight back, like you are throwing it into the back of a catcher glove, to allow yourself a better shot at not coming inside out. Do you recommend this thought process as well?

I use a drill that is very similar. Place a shoe box with about 6-12 golf balls in it directly behind your club head at address. From here feel your left side (right handed players) drive in the takeaway. The goal is to slide the box back until you loose contact with it. This will get the club much more on plane and get your body turning better to start the swing.

Surprised this hasn't already come up...

Lessons. :D

I use a drill that is very similar. Place a shoe box with about 6-12 golf balls in it directly behind your club head at address. From here feel your left side (right handed players) drive in the takeaway. The goal is to slide the box back until you loose contact with it. This will get the club much more on plane and get your body turning better to start the swing.

awesome, I'll give it a shot, thanks

I tried this drill at the range a couple days ago, and it really seemed to help! When I went out to the course today, I managed to shoot a nice 42, and my slice was just a small fade. Thanks a lot!

This drill worked for me too, not so much at fixing my slice, but more on helping me keep a smoother swing. I felt more in control of the club, and felt like I didn't have to work as hard to hit the ball

Back