Old Union, Blairsville, Georgia?

Ok, cancelled the tee time for this Thursday. Didn't want to drive 2 hours then experience lightening delays. Maybe next week or week after...

I don't blame you on not risking a 2 hour drive to watch a thunderstorm. Keep us posted on when you are heading over and don't forget the pics.

Ok, cancelled the tee time for this Thursday. Didn't want to drive 2 hours then experience lightening delays. Maybe next week or week after...

The good thing is you live close enough to get another shot soon enough. Looking forward to your take when you do go :thumb:

Finally, we made the trip over to Blairsville. The weather turned out to be good, about 84 but humid with no rain. There was lots of water standing in the creeks and hazards were out of their banks. My first reaction, Old Union will be a heck of a golf course when the grass grows in. It was patchy in spots from some winter kill but still very playable. I only got one photo, of 17, and it is posted below. The greens were in good shape and rolling smooth. The sand needed a little work, probably because of a lot of heavy rain?

My round: We played the whites, 71.0/132. The first two holes were OK, both pars. Number 3, I got into the heavy rough and made bogie. On Four, three putt for double. On Five, got into a little pot bunker off the tee and hacked my way to another double, then three putted six for a bogie. After 6 holes I was 6 over. Parred out for a 42 on the front. Started the back with two bogies then on #13 they had the tee markers in the wrong place, my laser shot 242 yards. It was so hard to believe I shot it a couple of more times then my buddy shot it! I gripped down on driver and hit it pin high left but didn't get up and down so I made a bogie 4. Finished the back with one birdie and one more bogie for a 39 and overall 81.

I would be ready to go back tomorrow but my friends had problems with the long holes, rough, tight lies, etc, etc, etc. So it may be hard to get them to go back over there. I believe I could score pretty well there with a couple of more rounds to learn the course.

old%252520union.jpg

Great pic. I love that course and it is one I hope to play again at the Georgia Outing. Glad you enjoyed Lefty.

Good round on a tough track! You will get your rematch if with it if you sign up to go with us in October :thumb:

Good report Lefty, and that picture is a beauty. Looking forward to October already.

Good report Lefty, and that picture is a beauty. Looking forward to October already.

KellyBo and I might be making a trip up there real soon to chat with the course manager and play a round of golf. We were talking about heading to SeeMore Putter Headquarters this Friday to get a putter fitting and then swinging by Old Union during the weekend.

Sounds like a great trip. That is a pretty big swing by to hit Old Union though. Y'all enjoy the week end and I will try to get together with y'all next week for a round of golf.

Glad you got over there Lefty...I almost drug my dad back over there last Friday, but decided to check out a different course instead.

Good round on a tough track! You will get your rematch if with it if you sign up to go with us in October :thumb:

Any openings for Friday?

That 17th is a gorgeous golf hole. I also thought #3 is one of the toughest par 5's I've ever played. It's challenging off the tee, for the 2nd shot and definitely the 3rd. I walk off of it happy with par any day. You definitely need to play it again though.

Man, you have me itching to play this course again! I can't wait till October.

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

Any openings for Friday?

Lefty, we're not going to go this week but we will let you know when/if we decide to make a trip up! I want to go soon.

That 17th is a gorgeous golf hole. I also thought #3 is one of the toughest par 5's I've ever played. It's challenging off the tee, for the 2nd shot and definitely the 3rd. I walk off of it happy with par any day. You definitely need to play it again though.

Three was very tough, didn't help myself there by hitting into the fescue rough. With their elevated greens, the par 5s were not made to hit long shots into (for me anyway) except 17. The picture above is not 17 it is actually 16, sorry got in a hurry.

The hardest hole today was 13, they had the tees in the wrong place, I was playing the whites and 13 was playing 242 yards (score card has 196), pin on left back of the elevated side behind the bunker. I gripped down on driver and hit it just a little past the green about five yards left, yep short sided. So the pitch had to elevate then stop, I almost pulled it off, the 15 foot putt lipped out. Two of us played the white and two played the yellow. They only had about 168 to the pin.

I don't know if they intentionally had the tees bumped back? the third tee box was unused today, the whites were at the back of the blue tee box and the blues were way back in the black tee box, maybe 270?

They can stretch that course out if they want too. You can score well there but you just can't get into the rough off the tee, it's brutal. I love it though, it's a fine golf course and I think it's a hidden gem.

Lefty, we're not going to go this week but we will let you know when/if we decide to make a trip up! I want to go soon.

Sorry I was vague, I am talking about that friday in October. Within the next few weeks would be good too, yes please do let me know. I'm hoping to be gone most of August to Oregon and back if the knee is ready for that much travel. With golf trips the last week of September and again in November, so many golf courses, so little time. :golf:

They can stretch that course out if they want too. You can score well there but you just can't get into the rough off the tee, it's brutal. I love it though, it's a fine golf course and I think it's a hidden gem.

What did you and One-T shoot last time you played it? 74 and 75? It is truly a hidden gem! I really want to go back and play it again before the GA get together.

What did you and One-T shoot last time you played it? 74 and 75? It is truly a hidden gem! I really want to go back and play it again before the GA get together.

We both shot 74's, but mine was legitimate :)

I played with ad and his dad and Ole Gray I believe. We had a blast. I played pretty good that day if I remember correctly. #9 killed me though. I ripped a drive that didn't cut a bit and drove it through the dogleg and out of bounds. I think I double'd that hole. I also think that the par 5 10th hole is incredibly difficult.

Agreed, it is a hidden gem unlike any other course around here that I know of. And they did stretch out #13, I wondered if some trickster had moved the tee markers instead of the course maintenance folks.

I played with ad and his dad and Ole Gray I believe. We had a blast. I played pretty good that day if I remember correctly. #9 killed me though. I ripped a drive that didn't cut a bit and drove it through the dogleg and out of bounds. I think I double'd that hole. I also think that the par 5 10th hole is incredibly difficult.

Those are some good scores. I would have to really be on my game to score there like that. It reminds me of Koolau with the hazards crossing the fairways at strategic places and sight unseen in lots of cases. I am not very long but spent most of the day gripping down on driver off the tee, trying to control distance. Agreed, 3 and 10 are difficult par 5s. I did the same thing on both of them, hooked the second shot (way right) into the rough so it was bogie on both of those holes.

Three was very tough, didn't help myself there by hitting into the fescue rough. With their elevated greens, the par 5s were not made to hit long shots into (for me anyway) except 17. The picture above is not 17 it is actually 16, sorry got in a hurry.

The hardest hole today was 13, they had the tees in the wrong place, I was playing the whites and 13 was playing 242 yards (score card has 196), pin on left back of the elevated side behind the bunker. I gripped down on driver and hit it just a little past the green about five yards left, yep short sided. So the pitch had to elevate then stop, I almost pulled it off, the 15 foot putt lipped out. Two of us played the white and two played the yellow. They only had about 168 to the pin.

I don't know if they intentionally had the tees bumped back? the third tee box was unused today, the whites were at the back of the blue tee box and the blues were way back in the black tee box, maybe 270?

The back tees on Old Union could be scary long! We will post more updates on the October trip in the near future. The other course we play in October is called Butternut Creek and is a challenge too except it's much shorter and ball placement is a premium.

The back tees on Old Union could be scary long! We will post more updates on the October trip in the near future. The other course we play in October is called Butternut Creek and is a challenge too except it's much shorter and ball placement is a premium.

You got that right. And some of the fastest greens around.

TC hit the ball that day the best I have ever seen him and he could have gone lower! He was on like donkey kong :golf2:.. I think it would be cool to see two lefty's tackle Old Union in October. I know TC has his second child due about that time so he might not be able to come.

TC hit the ball that day the best I have ever seen him and he could have gone lower! He was on like donkey kong :golf2:.. I think it would be cool to see two lefty's tackle Old Union in October. I know TC has his second child due about that time so he might not be able to come.

Yeah Gray, our due date is right around that time so I just can't commit right now. I wish I could though, I love that golf course.

Back