If you were a tour pro, which would you rather?

The father and husband which I am would choose #1 in order to provide a good life for my family. But if I were single, it would be #2 all the way. I love a challenge and I love to strive for the win. But responsibility trumps all of that so I'd have to choose #1.

While choosing no. 1 is tempting, I think I would go with winning. In my opinion you choose to be a pro athlete to be the best you can be first, ahead of just loving the game. Individual sports like golf,tennis etc. matter even more so than team sports where winning isn't always in your control. To look back on your golf career and know that you were the best that week and won(even if only once) would make it all worth it.

#2. I don't enter a tournament unless I am there to win. It's all or nothing.

Option 1 for me, I would take the security and regular income to support my family

Option #1, without hesitation.
This, of course, is written by a guy who has no chance of ever being a tour professional. I would imagine that if I were competing at that level my perception (of your relative abilities, of your competition, of the expectations of fans, managers, friends, sponsors & family) would alter that choice dramatically.

I think about it terms of my 'real' professional life. If the me from 20 years ago were offered the choice of making a good living with a respectable company in the position I was in 5 or even 10 years ago without hope for promotion or meaningful advancement, I would have jumped at it and thought I hit the jackpot. Now, I couldn't imagine having gotten plateaued at that level and I get a huge rush off of constantly advancing and taking on more responsibility and 'winning'.

I'll take what's behind door #1

Not sure. The nature of my personality would be to go with number 2 because I would hate to try so hard at anything for so many years and never win. I would feel like I wasted my time, however I have never gotten paid for something I loved doing for fun, so maybe that check with a lot of 0's at the end will change my mind. haha!

Those guys don't have a guarantee so this scenario is not realistic.

This has happened to a local guy, he won a PGA event and was named the PGA rookie of the year in 2000 but it never was as good again. I don't know if the final chapter of his story is written yet.

Not sure how you see it as not realistic. If you win you have a two year exemption. You may never make a cut after that win and would be out in two years.
On the other hand that win could push your career up the ladder. Never said it it guaranteed. But to settle for third best for a career is not how I live my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 for sure. You'd be #1 in the wgr and you'd win the money race and fedex cup race every year.

Mr consistency isn't a bad name.

#1 for sure. You'd be #1 in the wgr and you'd win the money race and fedex cup race every year.

I'm the same there, my personality says option number 2, because I always want to win, but option 1 is just too darn good.

Not sure you'd get to #1 on any list without a win. Secure for your career, yes.

I'd have to go with #2. I'd like #1, but I don't think I could handle not winning ever.

While choosing no. 1 is tempting, I think I would go with winning. In my opinion you choose to be a pro athlete to be the best you can be first, ahead of just loving the game. Individual sports like golf,tennis etc. matter even more so than team sports where winning isn't always in your control. To look back on your golf career and know that you were the best that week and won(even if only once) would make it all worth it.

Once again, I think the majority of the guys out there today are out there for the paycheck and the paycheck alone. If they win, great! But last years #90 won $1 million. After taxes and expenses, even if he winds up with a few hundred thousand, it's s better living than most, but there will still be sponsor dollars for many as well. The very top guys want to win, but most are there to make a living playing a game and taking it to the bank.

My brain says take #1 and take it to the bank. Everyone has to work for a living and being paid to golf would be a great job. However, my heart says go get the championship. Too tough to call...

Once again, I think the majority of the guys out there today are out there for the paycheck and the paycheck alone. If they win, great! But last years #90 won $1 million. After taxes and expenses, even if he winds up with a few hundred thousand, it's s better living than most, but there will still be sponsor dollars for many as well. The very top guys want to win, but most are there to make a living playing a game and taking it to the bank.

I have to respectfully disagree, I think every guy out there wants to win. IMO a select few may be just ridding the money train. The rest or vast majority want to win.

I have to respectfully disagree, I think every guy out there wants to win. IMO a select few may be just ridding the money train. The rest or vast majority want to win.

Sure, they would like to have a win. But I don't think for many it matters if they don't win. As long as the money is what it is, winning isn't so important. Sooner or later, a lot of guys may win here or there. But if they don't, I don't think it's that big a deal to most. Your top guys, winning is what it's about. But for the others, I don't think so. I think the hunger to win is there more for the amateurs than the pros.

#1... Absolutely....As everyone has said, great money, great life, PLUS if you're in the top 30 always, you have automatic entries into everything!!!

Sure, they would like to have a win. But I don't think for many it matters if they don't win. As long as the money is what it is, winning isn't so important. Sooner or later, a lot of guys may win here or there. But if they don't, I don't think it's that big a deal to most. Your top guys, winning is what it's about. But for the others, I don't think so. I think the hunger to win is there more for the amateurs than the pros.

Good point, let me say it a different way. I hope they all want to win but I understand that a steady pay check may be more appealing. I guess I'm a bit naive that way. I always expect the best out of people. I expect that all the tour pros want to win, I expect that this is the ultimate goal. But I may be wrong.

Option 1 guarantees my livelihood for my entire career! I'd be rich, and I get to play golf all the time!

I'd focus on winning other things outside of golf (personal accomplishments, charity, etc), and just retire wealthy and travel the world.

Back