Recipe Recipe of the Week - Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
On this weeks episode of The Worst Golf Podcast I shared this Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes recipe with everyone. As I mentioned on the show, normally I say you can sub ground turkey for ground beef, but with this recipe I do not recommend it. I tried it, and it just does not taste as good with turkey, I would definitely go beef or even bison.

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Recipe Originated from Emily Bites https://emilybites.com/2012/01/philly-cheesesteak-sloppy-joes.html

prep time: 10 MINS, cook time: 20 MINS, total time: 30 MINS, calories: 334KCAL, Yields 5 Servings
Philly-Cheesesteak-Sloppy-Joes-2b-190x145.jpg
Ingredients
  • 1 lbs 95% lean ground beef, raw
  • 1 large softball-sized white onion, diced
  • 1 medium or large green bell pepper, diced (I subbed mushrooms for the pepper since JB doesn't like peppers)
  • 3 tablespoons steak sauce
  • 1 cup fat free beef broth
  • Salt & black pepper to taste
  • 5 light wheat sandwich rolls, I used Weight Watchers brand rolls (or whatever roll or bread you want to use)
  • 5 slices 2% Provolone cheese
Instructions
  1. Bring a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Brown beef, breaking it up as it cooks. Once cooked, add the peppers and onions and continue to cook for a few more minutes until vegetables are softened. Mix in the steak sauce, beef broth, salt and pepper and bring to a bubble. Allow the mixture to bubble for about 5 minutes.
  2. Make sure you have an oven rack in the top third of your oven and pre-heat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Open the sandwich rolls and lay both sides cut side up. Using your fingers, press the middle-inside of the bottom half of the roll to make a little more room for the meat mixture. Scoop about ¾ cup of the meat mixture onto the pressed bottom half of each roll. Top the meat mixture with a slice of the cheese. The top half of the rolls will be bare and cut side up.
  3. Place the baking sheet onto the oven rack in the top 1/3 of the oven and broil for about 1 minute (check at 30 seconds and again at 50 to prevent burning – broiling happens fast!) Cover the loaded bottom half of each roll with its toasted top half counterpart and serve!

This sounds so fricking good! I’m gonna have to try this!

Did you use a jar of mushrooms? If so what size as I think I've seen them in 2 sizes.

• Admin
Did you use a jar of mushrooms? If so what size as I think I've seen them in 2 sizes.

No, I used the 8oz fresh sliced mushrooms from the produce section of the grocery store, however, I only used about 6 oz of them, 8 was too much.

• Appreciation
Reactions: J4U
Gonna try this minus the mushrooms, of course.

As a Philly kid, it pains me to say this but...I am gonna have to give this a try for sure!

On this weeks episode of The Worst Golf Podcast I shared this Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes recipe with everyone. As I mentioned on the show, normally I say you can sub ground turkey for ground beef, but with this recipe I do not recommend it. I tried it, and it just does not taste as good with turkey, I would definitely go beef or even bison.

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Recipe Originated from Emily Bites https://emilybites.com/2012/01/philly-cheesesteak-sloppy-joes.html

prep time: 10 MINS, cook time: 20 MINS, total time: 30 MINS, calories: 334KCAL, Yields 5 Servings
View attachment 9139126
Ingredients
  • 1 lbs 95% lean ground beef, raw
  • 1 large softball-sized white onion, diced
  • 1 medium or large green bell pepper, diced (I subbed mushrooms for the pepper since JB doesn't like peppers)
  • 3 tablespoons steak sauce
  • 1 cup fat free beef broth
  • Salt & black pepper to taste
  • 5 light wheat sandwich rolls, I used Weight Watchers brand rolls (or whatever roll or bread you want to use)
  • 5 slices 2% Provolone cheese
Instructions
  1. Bring a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Brown beef, breaking it up as it cooks. Once cooked, add the peppers and onions and continue to cook for a few more minutes until vegetables are softened. Mix in the steak sauce, beef broth, salt and pepper and bring to a bubble. Allow the mixture to bubble for about 5 minutes.
  2. Make sure you have an oven rack in the top third of your oven and pre-heat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Open the sandwich rolls and lay both sides cut side up. Using your fingers, press the middle-inside of the bottom half of the roll to make a little more room for the meat mixture. Scoop about ¾ cup of the meat mixture onto the pressed bottom half of each roll. Top the meat mixture with a slice of the cheese. The top half of the rolls will be bare and cut side up.
  3. Place the baking sheet onto the oven rack in the top 1/3 of the oven and broil for about 1 minute (check at 30 seconds and again at 50 to prevent burning – broiling happens fast!) Cover the loaded bottom half of each roll with its toasted top half counterpart and serve!
Did @JB say no to the peppers because they’re green or because it’s a vegetable?

I think adding a hot giardiniera might be clutch here.

This one looks awesome.

That could be really good, although that is more Italian beef sandwich then Philly cheesesteak, but I am not hating this idea at all.

As a Philly kid, it pains me to say this but...I am gonna have to give this a try for sure!

It's surprisingly good. It's not a Philly, but has a more beefy like experience like a Philly rathe than your typical sloppy joes. I don't know why it works, but it does.

Did @JB say no to the peppers because they’re green or because it’s a vegetable?

Haha, he just hates peppers so anytime I cook for both of us I have to omit them.

I could hurt myself with this..

Oh yeah, we are going to spice up sloppy joe night next time. I like a sloppy joe 3-4 times a year. We always have some hamburger in the freezer and this will be a nice change of pace.

Had about a half lb of ground beef I needed to cook tonight. So halved this recipe.

Let’s do it.
F419E12C-D19F-4E94-A901-33537B816D4E.jpeg

Didn’t have beef broth so subbed in chicken stock.

D248D25B-2533-4DCE-9DA8-F212A945A831.jpeg

Wooooow… you’ve got a winner here! Thanks for sharing it!

Definitely going to have to try this.

Need to try this one out. Looks delicious.

Had about a half lb of ground beef I needed to cook tonight. So halved this recipe.

Let’s do it.
View attachment 9139264

Didn’t have beef broth so subbed in chicken stock.

View attachment 9139268

Wooooow… you’ve got a winner here! Thanks for sharing it!

I somehow missed this before, but so glad you liked it. It's such a simple and surprisingly flavorful recipe.

I somehow missed this before, but so glad you liked it. It's such a simple and surprisingly flavorful recipe.
Yeah it was really good. I didn’t have steak sauce so used some Heinz 57 and a little Worcestershire sauce. I think it might of kicked up the flavor even more!

Yeah it was really good. I didn’t have steak sauce so used some Heinz 57 and a little Worcestershire sauce. I think it might of kicked up the flavor even more!

I love tweaking recipes, I am not sure I have ever made anything exactly how it's written. Although, isn't Heinz 57 steak sauce?

I might need to make this for dinner tonight

I love tweaking recipes, I am not sure I have ever made anything exactly how it's written. Although, isn't Heinz 57 steak sauce?
Maybe? I’ve always thought of it more as a ‘pork chop sauce’ but that might just be me 🤣

First I didn't even know they made that, second...on steak? Weird

Back