My Titleist Opinion

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nobody asked for my opinion on Titleist, but I'm giving it anyway. After reading the "One Word to Describe Club Manufacturers" thread, here, I noticed that titleist got railed by the members here at THP. I saw a commercial over the weekend from Titleist regarding their club fittings. I was sitting next to my mother and she said, "I thought Titleist only made balls. Do they make good clubs?" I sat and thought for just a second. My answer was, Titleist is at the same time, very bad for golfers and very good for golfers.

They are very bad because none of their lines really have anything for the high-mid and high handicappers. The catagory that I believe makes up a majority of golfers. The AP1 is nice, but it isn't as easy to hit as the A7OS from Adams or the Slingshot Irons for Nike. Their clubs are expensive for people who struggle to break 55. As nice as the 910D2 is, it isn't as forgiving as the K15 from Ping. The Vokey wedges are nice, but is an amateur going to hit that wedge better than the wedges that come with their thick soled irons? Titleist has Scotty Cameron putters, many of the weekend duffers I know don't see the value in any putter that isn't 10 years old. All in all, Titleist doesn't have equipment that is geared towards the majority of golfers.

They are really good because the equipment they make is really nice and provides a lot of options for the mid to low handicap amateur. Between the AP1 and AP2 irons, they have a lot of forgiveness in a compact iron that would fit that handicap group's eye. Then the CB and MB irons offer a true players iron. Lots of workability and little forgiveness. The 910D2 and D3 offer many shaft options with the heads that are geared towards golfers with a more consistent swing. The 910F and 910H are both excellent clubs with a ton of performance, great custom options, but with less forgiveness than other OEMs offer. The Vokey wedges offer a lot of loft and bounce options. Something that better golfers look at. All of which are expensive offerings from Titleist, but no more expensive that Mizuno's, Nike's, Taylormade's, Ping's, or Callaway's players irons. The 910D is the same price as the R11, Razr Hawk, the VR Pro, and only $50 more than the S3.

Many golfers do not fit into Titleist's equipment. Titleist offers a lot of good equipment, for people who know how to use it, however. So, Titleist is both really bad and really good for golfers.

Nobody asked for my opinion on Titleist, but I'm giving it anyway. After reading the "One Word to Describe Club Manufacturers" thread, here, I noticed that titleist got railed by the members here at THP. I saw a commercial over the weekend from Titleist regarding their club fittings. I was sitting next to my mother and she said, "I thought Titleist only made balls. Do they make good clubs?" I sat and thought for just a second. My answer was, Titleist is at the same time, very bad for golfers and very good for golfers.

They are very bad because none of their lines really have anything for the high-mid and high handicappers. The catagory that I believe makes up a majority of golfers. The AP1 is nice, but it isn't as easy to hit as the A7OS from Adams or the Slingshot Irons for Nike. Their clubs are expensive for people who struggle to break 55. As nice as the 910D2 is, it isn't as forgiving as the K15 from Ping. The Vokey wedges are nice, but is an amateur going to hit that wedge better than the wedges that come with their thick soled irons? Titleist has Scotty Cameron putters, many of the weekend duffers I know don't see the value in any putter that isn't 10 years old. All in all, Titleist doesn't have equipment that is geared towards the majority of golfers.

They are really good because the equipment they make is really nice and provides a lot of options for the mid to low handicap amateur. Between the AP1 and AP2 irons, they have a lot of forgiveness in a compact iron that would fit that handicap group's eye. Then the CB and MB irons offer a true players iron. Lots of workability and little forgiveness. The 910D2 and D3 offer many shaft options with the heads that are geared towards golfers with a more consistent swing. The 910F and 910H are both excellent clubs with a ton of performance, great custom options, but with less forgiveness than other OEMs offer. The Vokey wedges offer a lot of loft and bounce options. Something that better golfers look at. All of which are expensive offerings from Titleist, but no more expensive that Mizuno's, Nike's, Taylormade's, Ping's, or Callaway's players irons. The 910D is the same price as the R11, Razr Hawk, the VR Pro, and only $50 more than the S3.

Many golfers do not fit into Titleist's equipment. Titleist offers a lot of good equipment, for people who know how to use it, however. So, Titleist is both really bad and really good for golfers.

I think that was very well said! I see it that way too, I just didn't quite know how to phrase it.

I think that was very well said! I see it that way too, I just didn't quite know how to phrase it.

I had to think about how I wanted to say it. It's not that I dislike Titleist. I just have not found a piece of equipment that I had to have.

I agree, I haven't hit anything that really works from me from Titleist. Although, I have been lusting after a Scotty Cameron putter for a while.

I can understand what you are saying, Titleist has kind of an "elitist reputation" kind of like Cadillac does for cars. I will say that my favorite set of irons I ever owned was a set of DCI Golds, too bad they got stolen.

I am eating crow! I like the driver.

I've hit tons of Titleist equipment, use to play a 975J & 905 driver. Both were great when I was swinging well. I tested the AP1 & AP2 and both were just flat out shorter than almost everything else I tested. I don't make those sacrafices. I have no problem with Titleist except for one: the don't respect of appreciate THP's testing/demo day policies, and subsequently, we rarely have the opportunity to try their stuff without sales reps present.

I am in sales, it's my job to "SELL" you. That's what they want to do. I don't like that, not when everyone else isn't doing that.

Outside of golf balls or Scotty putters I have never really tried a piece of Titleist equipment. I don't know why, they were just never on my radar... Until this past weekend a friend of mine just got the new 710 MB Blades and I got a chance to hit them... I didn't want to give them back! Excellent feel, perfect trajectory for me (he had the PX shaft)... Extremely surprised!!! Both because the were blades and because they were Titleist...

I've hit tons of Titleist equipment, use to play a 975J & 905 driver. Both were great when I was swinging well. I tested the AP1 & AP2 and both were just flat out shorter than almost everything else I tested. I don't make those sacrafices. I have no problem with Titleist except for one: the don't respect of appreciate THP's testing/demo day policies, and subsequently, we rarely have the opportunity to try their stuff without sales reps present.

I am in sales, it's my job to "SELL" you. That's what they want to do. I don't like that, not when everyone else isn't doing that.

I was aware of their hostilities towards THP. I was looking at them from outside of the forum here. To me, it doesn't cause any problems that they don't participate with the Demo Day.

Titleist does their own thing. It works for them. Not every golf company has to be run the same way. When I was younger and stronger, I loved their forged irons, Mizuno too. Now they're a little out of my swing league. I don't hold that against them. I've played their drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids. Had good success with all of them. I think the 910 looks like a hell of a club. The balls are top of the line. Footjoy shoes and gloves are as good as anything out there. Scotty putters are wonderful pieces of equipment. They get a lot for them because people are willing to pay for them. They would be doing their shareholders a disservice if they sold them for less than the market was willing to bear.

I think the "eliteist" label they get tagged with is silly. They offer a limited line of products. That's their business model. There are certainly plenty of options from different OEMs for those that feel Titleist products don't work for them.

I don't get the hate.

Kevin

I was aware of their hostilities towards THP. I was looking at them from outside of the forum here. To me, it doesn't cause any problems that they don't participate with the Demo Day.

I dont think Titleist much cares about the demo day, because as has been said before they have that "elitist" attitude. Me being a mid-high handicapper have never considered Titleist, but it seems they make good clubs

I put my ego in check, and instead of maybe having the coolest wedges or a putter I'de be terrible with, I have nothing titleist in my bag except balls.

I read that and immediately got confused. Are you saying that instead of buying Titleist equipment, that you would not successful with, you would rather buy equipment that was designed with your handicap in mind?

Titleist does their own thing. It works for them. Not every golf company has to be run the same way. When I was younger and stronger, I loved their forged irons, Mizuno too. Now they're a little out of my swing league. I don't hold that against them. I've played their drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids. Had good success with all of them. I think the 910 looks like a hell of a club. The balls are top of the line. Footjoy shoes and gloves are as good as anything out there. Scotty putters are wonderful pieces of equipment. They get a lot for them because people are willing to pay for them. They would be doing their shareholders a disservice if they sold them for less than the market was willing to bear.

I think the "eliteist" label they get tagged with is silly. They offer a limited line of products. That's their business model. There are certainly plenty of options from different OEMs for those that feel Titleist products don't work for them.

I don't get the hate.

Kevin
VERY well said Kevin

I really don't understand why Titleist gets this reputation. I assume it comes from the fact that most of "those guys" are Titleist guys, but they make great clubs and they aren't all made for scratch golfers. It just seems to me I've read so many comments on here from people that automatically dismiss Titleist equipment, because "they don't cater to us regular golfers". I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice if you're truly trying to find the clubs that work best for you and you dismiss Titleist before comparing them to other OEMs options.

I read your post, and agree with a lot of what you're saying. They don't make the GI irons, they do cater towards the "better" golf with their "elitist" equipment. To those points I say...I haven't played anything but Titleist irons since I was 16. I had the 962 irons before I got my 690MB. I used to play the 975D driver and I still have my Scotty Cameron Newport. I love the feel of Titleist and they make a fantastic club! It would take A LOT for me to switch over to another company, but with that being said, I am shopping new irons. My 690's are chewed up after 5-6yrs and I need something a little more forgiving now that I'm "not quite the golfer" I was once. So I may stray from my beautiful muscle backs, but straying from Titleist might be a stretch....however after 14years, I may be able to do it. Maybe...

Titleist has Scotty Cameron putters, many of the weekend duffers I know don't see the value in any putter that isn't 10 years old.

Scotty Cameron has been making putters since 1993. My Newport is from 1997.

I can understand what you are saying, Titleist has kind of an "elitist reputation" kind of like Cadillac does for cars. I will say that my favorite set of irons I ever owned was a set of DCI Golds, too bad they got stolen.

Yes, great irons! I am not sure why Titleist limits itself to such small percentage of golfers. Are they worried if they make a SGI iron set they will lose their core group of followers? My guess is they barely make any money selling clubs so see no reason to expand the line. Their profits come from balls I bet.

I have a fairly high handicap (19-20) and have not found an iron i have loved more than the ap1 710 and ive hit way to many irons...

Scotty Cameron has been making putters since 1993. My Newport is from 1997.

My point is that a lot of weekend duffers are using putters that they got years ago and don't see the value in a new $300 Scotty. I have seen some people use some old damned putters.

I completely agree with you bluegold. I think Titleist has a long way to go as far as appealing to most golfers. If they want a bigger marketshare they need to appeal to the high handicappers as well.

I completely agree with you bluegold. I think Titleist has a long way to go as far as appealing to most golfers. If they want a bigger marketshare they need to appeal to the high handicappers as well.

Whose "bluegold" :alien:. Oddly, I think that Titleist is happy appealing to who they appeal with. I'm sure they would like a bigger market share, but I doubt that they are going to put out a SGI set anytime soon. Which is ok with me.

My point is that a lot of weekend duffers are using putters that they got years ago and don't see the value in a new $300 Scotty. I have seen some people use some old damned putters.

I see what you mean now. :banghead:

I've never hit Titleist irons. I've never tried a scotty cameron because I'm afraid I'll like it. However, I did have an opportunity to hit the 910D2 this weekend, and of all the drivers I've hit this year, this one was the most natural feeling of them all. I was able to hit a draw when I wanted to, hit straight, and even hit a fade when I wanted to. It just felt right. I suppose part of it is subjective and what fits are swing.

I don't doubt most of what you said, but does everyone really think the Titleist 910D2 is meant for people with a more consistent swing? It seemed like a pretty basic 460cc driver with adjustability, like so many others on the market.

I don't doubt most of what you said, but does everyone really think the Titleist 910D2 is meant for people with a more consistent swing? It seemed like a pretty basic 460cc driver with adjustability, like so many others on the market.

With my very limited time with the 910D2 I would say that it is less forgiving that the K15 or Machspeed. I would also say that the Launchers are more forgiving. The 910D2 is not the most exclusive driver, just not the most forgiving. My opinions of course.

I think the "eliteist" label they get tagged with is silly. They offer a limited line of products. That's their business model.

Kevin

You might think it is silly, but that is the reputation they have made for themselves. It is because of their business model and mindset that they have earned that reputation. Check out the link to the Company word associations and you will see that they are identified with being Elitist and Over Priced before anything else. Now this is a small sample size, but if I were Titleist I would want to do something about this perception, yet they do nothing to approach the everyday golfer. This is my opinion.

Here were the top three responses for each OEM. There were 122 entries.

TaylorMade: Innovation (20); Drivers (17); Leader (12)
Titleist: Elitist (21); Overpriced (18); Tradition (16)
Bridgestone: Ball (41); Tires (26); Fitting (13)
Callaway: Phil (15); Bertha (9); Consistent/Solid (9); Overrated (9)
Nike: Tiger (31); Challenger/Up & Coming (13); Fresh/Sexy (9)
Adams: Hybrid (43); Seniors (13); Tom Watson (8)
Wilson Staff: Historic/Old (31); Underrated (22); Cheap (11)
Ping: Classic (13); Consistent/Solid (10); Putter/Anser (9)
Yonex: Unfamiliar (47); Japan (11); Tennis (9)
Cleveland: Wedge (55); Srixon (5); Light (4)
Srixon: Yellow (23); Balls (14); Z-Star (11)
Cobra: Snake (13); Poulter (9); Failing (7); Have to add #4 which was Ole Gray (5) he beat out Greg Norman and Puma!
Mizuno: Buttery (16) (if you add "feel" it had 20 votes, but that is a subject for another thread :D); Forged (15); Baseball (9)

Back