The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. Goats really will eat anything.

Posted via Tapatalk

The goat farms of SD ate me for lunch today, hope you played well buddy. Nice videos!

I played alot better than I scored, the tight lies and soft ground wreaked havoc on my short game. Definately something I'm gonna have to get used to before August.

Great videos Jrod and videographer Hawk...Deere Run looks like a beautiful track.

Great videos Jrod and videographer Hawk...Deere Run looks like a beautiful track.

Thanks AD, such an easier course with a great set of irons with some forgiveness. My ball striking was really on today.

I know it's a lot of fun to come into this thread and makes posts after a great round of golf, but unfortunately this is not one of those posts. I played terrible today. I got into this stupid funk of trying to force good golf and it bit me big time. I shot a 49 on the front 9 today....49!!! If there was a way for me to shoot myself in the foot on a hole I found it. 4 times I was off the green by 10 yards or so in regulation and walked off with double bogey. I almost pulled the 10 shot turn around on the back 9 with a 40, but all said it's an 89. Anyone know of a good fishing forum online? That might be more my speed. :beat-up:

I feel for ya' P4B. A suck round rips the life out of you. The turn around on the back 9 is what you need to remember. Dropping 9 strokes front-to-back when struggling is an accomplishment everyone on THP can appreciate.

I feel for ya' P4B. A suck round rips the life out of you. The turn around on the back 9 is what you need to remember. Dropping 9 strokes front-to-back when struggling is an accomplishment everyone on THP can appreciate.
Thanks buddy, the issue wasn't anything technical with my game today for sure, that's evident from that turn around. Mainly it was my big fat brain that got in the way today, stupid thing. I don't put much more into it other than further proof that when I'm not thinking right struggles will surely come.

Awesome vids JRod! I thought they were great. Jeez dude, but some back spin on a golf ball!

It's ok Rutarde', shake it off and be proud of your back 9 buddy.

Awesome vids JRod! I thought they were great. Jeez dude, but some back spin on a golf ball!

It's ok Rutarde', shake it off and be proud of your back 9 buddy.

I'm lovin this Tour i(Z)....long and low spin off the tee yet you can really juice it with the wedges. I had a 210 yard 6i into the par 5 10th and it stopped on a dime.

Thanks buddy, the issue wasn't anything technical with my game today for sure, that's evident from that turn around. Mainly it was my big fat brain that got in the way today, stupid thing. I don't put much more into it other than further proof that when I'm not thinking right struggles will surely come.

Thats alright big fella, we all have those rounds, but a 40 for the back 9 is good. I'm sure if you're like me, your "big fat brain" doesn't get in the way all that often. I'm not smart enough for that to be an every day problem.

well that's got to be a first. JK..nice turnaround on the back though.

I'm lovin this Tour i(Z)....long and low spin off the tee yet you can really juice it with the wedges. I had a 210 yard 6i into the par 5 10th and it stopped on a dime.

from what ive seen you dont need anymore spin. That was a hell of a PW. Have you tried the other callaway balls to see if you still get that backspin? do you usually play the backspin? IE: your PW was short?

either way: nice to put a face to the name. Great videos. You def got game, glad you are with the winning team.

PS: i bet Team Pansy's just got real scared.

I shared this in the "what did you shoot today" thread but thought it would be appropriate here as well:

Ok, I was able to sneak off fairly early this morning. Played at one of my favorite courses around here, Broadmoor Golf Links. Forum member One-t and thainer have played there, so they'll tell you that it is a golf course that's much more about putting the golf ball in the right spot as opposed to banging. That being said, from the Blue tees (one up from the tips) it's still a long golf course.

I was only able to get 9 holes in as inclement weather rolled in on me. I was pretty bummed out about it b/c I had my best score on 9 holes ever today! I shot a 4 under, 32! I still can't believe it. I drove so fast coming home b/c I was excited to put it on the forum, hahaha. Finally, everything clicked for me. I am starting to convert putts, it's something I've been working very hard on and my hard work is finally paying off. I had a break through with the putter, but it's something that I prefer keeping to myself. It helped birdie'ing both of the Par 3's for sure, as I would gladly walk of the front 9 there with pars on both of those holes. I stuffed on in tight with a 7 iron on #2 from 174, it was about a 2 foot birdie putt, and I left myself below the hole on the Par 3 5th so I had a relatively easy uphill 10 footer. I only managed to birdie one of the Par 5's, both of which are true 3 shot par 5's and I was able to birdie #9, which can only be done by hitting a really good drive.

The RXT's are the real deal for me. I can't believe how much more accurate I am with them. I've developed a bit of a strategy with them, again, don't want to share that either, but I believe it's paying off.

Anyway:

Score: 32
fwys: 5/7
girs: 8/9
putts: 13
birdies: 4
pars: 5
others: 0 - woot woot!

I'm on cloud 9 right now. I hope this wasn't a fluke. Truth be told, the rain may have been a blessing b/c I know I would've been playing "protect" golf on the back 9, haha.

Dude. That's some golf. How did you let the weather drive you away before playing the back nine? You should have grabbed Carl Spackler as a caddy and gone all the bishop from Caddyshack on that back nine's ass.

Ouch... I wasn't even speaking about this. TC hit the nail on the head, I was giving Belbin and Biggsy a hard time. This is what having nice banter always leads to on the internet, someone getting offended.

This is a perfect example of why I avoid the "banter" or smack talk, whatever you want to call it.

I personally like the chronicle of your trip leading up to the MC, and I'm glad you have used it as a reason to improve your health.

As for your attack at me, I'm sorry you feel that way.

We're cool. I was testy this morning because I had to go to a stupid baseball game and sit and roast in the sun when I could have been playing and practicing in the heat for TMC.

Dude, you've got a hell of swing in those videos. I hope I don't have to play you. I doubt my game could stand up to that type of move.

I know it's a lot of fun to come into this thread and makes posts after a great round of golf, but unfortunately this is not one of those posts. I played terrible today. I got into this stupid funk of trying to force good golf and it bit me big time. I shot a 49 on the front 9 today....49!!! If there was a way for me to shoot myself in the foot on a hole I found it. 4 times I was off the green by 10 yards or so in regulation and walked off with double bogey. I almost pulled the 10 shot turn around on the back 9 with a 40, but all said it's an 89. Anyone know of a good fishing forum online? That might be more my speed. :beat-up:

Way to man up, my bald brother. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Oh, and if you're serious about a good fishing forum, here you go: http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/

Tell 'em MuskyHopeful sent you. I'm a legend over there. They'll treat you right. I once wrote a post on that forum that was talked about all across the range of the mighty musky for years. hehehe.

Seriously, bro, shake it off.

Kevin

from what ive seen you dont need anymore spin. That was a hell of a PW. Have you tried the other callaway balls to see if you still get that backspin? do you usually play the backspin? IE: your PW was short?

either way: nice to put a face to the name. Great videos. You def got game, glad you are with the winning team.

PS: i bet Team Pansy's just got real scared.

I have , I have a pretty high swing speed and the other balls have a hard time holding up to the driver. I really like the tour I(s) as well but I have a terrible problem with excessive spin off the driver. I was fit for a shaft and hopefully that will cure the problem. I can't recommend this ball enough to anyone who likes playing a tour level ball , the.durability is just incredible.

Dude. That's some golf. How did you let the weather drive you away before playing the back nine? You should have grabbed Carl Spackler as a caddy and gone all the bishop from Caddyshack on that back nine's ass.

Kevin

I can't be out there in the thunder and lightning buddy. I figure it was meant to be. It would've been embarrassing coming on here and saying I shot a 77, going out in 32, lol

so i didnt sleep too well last night, just one of those days - stressful day at work - had to run home and try and pass out if i wanted any sleep at all.

Up at 7 - out the door at 8 - warmup from 8:30 to 9:00. Chipped and putt from 9-9:30. teed off at 9:38.

I had the worst warmup session, ive ever had. I went from stroking everything all week, to hitting low burners, tops, slices, you name it. I was taking HUGE fat divots, and i just couldnt get in a rhythym. The swing didnt feel right at all. And i couldnt figure it out.

I have gotten away from the ol' grab a ball and hit it, grab another hit it. And instead focus on each range ball like its a true shot.

I set it up - i stand behind it - go through a routine. think what im going to do with the shot. Then hit it. i analyze. think what i did right/wrong. Set up another and repeat.

Rather than just bang n bang n bang. I find it focuses my warmup - and prepares me better for round.

However - nothing is working. I still have 100% confidence in my swing bc i have hit it pure for weeks. I know i was here 24 hours ago stroking shots down the middle. So i figure its just a weird day. I head over to putt, hoping it fixes itself.

So were waiting to go on 1, and say Mike, the clubs came in - check it out.
His jaw dropped. He was in shock. I have told both Bill and Mike about the Morgan Cup, and Mike is really supportive, so for them to finally see the bag coming to fruition - was really cool to explain it and see their enthusiasm, as well as they could see mine.

I step up to one - and grab the new driver. Im pretty nervous as i didnt hit one good one warming up. Bill already put one in the middle, mike hits irons off the tee so hes safe too) I say god, brand new driver, first round with the clubs, you just got done talking up the competition - and you couldnt hit one drive on the range. Make it count.

Boom!

I put it out there 240 right in the middle of the fairway. i was so nervous, it did wonders for me.

I leave myself a 7 iron in - i hit high and its tailing left - lands green and rolls to the back fringe - 2 putt par.

Ok - maybe the swing will be ok today.

hole 2 - par 4 - i pull 3 wood bc its only 365 today. But kinda smaller fairway. I just wanna be 220-230 out - and give me a 8-PW in.

I hit the best R11 3w yet. left side fairway - leaves me 130 in, the perfect PW.
hit it a little short - and 2 putt par.

hole 3 is the big two fairway par 5. I pull the Driver - and unleash one of my best drives on this par 5. im always right - and if i do hit the fairway middle, or left; it has to go up a hill then down. Well im usually short - but if you can get it to 250 - it crests a hill and can roll down it. i made it just short of crest - it cleared it and rolled maybe 10 more yards halfway down. i so wanted to pull 5w and go at the green, but it was a downhill lie - and the smart play (with water left) is to lay up. I pull a 8 iron and hit decent. leaving me wedge in - which i dont hit well at all - and put in a bunker short and right. I hit a good bunker shot - get out - and drop a 8 foot par. (bunker work pays off!!!)

hole 4 is playing 190 today. I can try and get a 6 iron there - but i pull the 4 rescue 11. I will probably raise its loft when i get to dialing it in as on the range i was hitting it easy 200. i need a 190-200 club. so i take a 3/4 swing and it makes good contact - but is trailing right. ugh. bunker again!!!
im about 30 yards out - in all my bunker practice im only 15 yards at best. So i pull the 54 - open it - and just pretend im at practice again. what do you know its tracking at the hole. i have a 3 foot par putt. UNREAL!!! i can count on one hand the number of sand saves for par i have this year. I just had TWO back to back.

I have no way to explain it - but i have all my confidence going. I had definately my worst warm up of the year - yet im on the course with 4 straight pars.

On 5 i pull the driver, put a good swing on it - but its cutting right, the fairways moving left. it rolls into the first cut. for my only fairway missed on the front.
i bogey, bogey 6. bogey 7.

Step up to hole 8, par 3 - playing short today - but the pin is tucked high on the 2nd tier - and back right- with sand and water all right. its a sucker pin for sure. But you cant aim for center - bc then youll end up on the bottom of the first tier - with the worst lag putt imaginable.

I laser it to 142, im guessing the middle of the tier is 135 (well my sgx guessed for me) i pull 9 iron. Hit it perfect, it sounds like a golfshot. its dead on the pin. Mike says "oh **** im THIRSTY" - i said "thats the distance" it lands and i swear it had to hit rim. Im laying a foot past - tap in birdie. unreal.

Mike asks me on the drive up if i have insurance. I said what? he said hole in one insurance. I said no, what the hell is that?

He said finish this round and go pay the pro shop $25. I said are you pulling my leg? he said no, conditional clause. if you hole in one - you are buying drinks in the stag room for every member the whole day lol. with insurance you pay the $25 registration fee, a $100 deductible - and the club picks up the drinks.

I have NEVER ever heard of such a thing.

But it was a great shot. i was very proud.

We go to 9 and im laying +2 with one to go. Have to hit a strong drive here or you wont clear the hill and youll have 200-220 left. So i take some aggressive practice swings - and strike one on the screws. GPS'd to 265 with the rollout from the hill.

Leaves me 170 in. i grab a 6 iron and push it right, little long. Tough chip - with some undulations and green going away from me- it runs out leaving me 15 feet for par. i miss but tap in bogey for a 39.

At this point i just want to go to 10. but i know since playing with these guys they are going to stop at the grille, order a cheeseburger, a brat, go into the locker room, stop at the restroom... im pacing - trying to keep my momentum going. I go to ten and take practice swings every minute or so to stay loose.

Tee off - cut it right into the water.. first penalty of the day, 2nd fairway missed. i double 10, 11, 12.

Compeltely lost it - shot a 51 on the back. for a 90.

man!!! golf is such a frustrating sport.

My mental game is kaput. my heads a mess right now. I thought i pulled myself out of the worst warmup ever, fired my best nine at the club yet - and just self destructed on the back.

putts that were dropping on the front - are now dying feet from the hole.

I hit my goal of 10/14 fairways. but my approaches were falling short - and offline. I must have chipped past every hole on the back. And missed the come back putt.

i told myself i still have to take something out of the round, i know i can put it together. I just have to extend my performances to 18 holes instead of just 9

I can't be out there in the thunder and lightning buddy. I figure it was meant to be. It would've been embarrassing coming on here and saying I shot a 77, going out in 32, lol

Just teasing you, fellow lefty. Under par is nice, but literally dying trying to do it can suck. When playing my last best ball match you could hear the thunder and lightning in the distance. Then not so far in the distance. The horn blows and people are flying in. The three idiots I'm with want to finish the par 5 we're playing. It starts pouring and there's a freakin' crack that felt like it's on top of us. The assistant pro comes flying out and says WTH are you guys doing. I didn't even finish the hole. Just sat in the cart and hoped not to get roasted.

Kevin

Just teasing you, fellow lefty. Under par is nice, but literally dying trying to do it can suck. When playing my last best ball match you could hear the thunder and lightning in the distance. Then not so far in the distance. The horn blows and people are flying in. The three idiots I'm with want to finish the par 5 we're playing. It starts pouring and there's a freakin' crack that felt like it's on top of us. The assistant pro comes flying out and says WTH are you guys doing. I didn't even finish the hole. Just sat in the cart and hoped not to get roasted.

Kevin

It's gorgeous here now, just nice enough so that I had to cut grass. I will play in rain and wind but I don't like thunder and lightning. It's powerful stuff.

A 32? Is that all you've got? I once shot a 32... On our par 3 course ;)

Great 9 holes mountain man.

Tappin the keg!

I think ive had 32 once....mini golf

I shared this in the "what did you shoot today" thread but thought it would be appropriate here as well:

Ok, I was able to sneak off fairly early this morning. Played at one of my favorite courses around here, Broadmoor Golf Links. Forum member One-t and thainer have played there, so they'll tell you that it is a golf course that's much more about putting the golf ball in the right spot as opposed to banging. That being said, from the Blue tees (one up from the tips) it's still a long golf course.

I was only able to get 9 holes in as inclement weather rolled in on me. I was pretty bummed out about it b/c I had my best score on 9 holes ever today! I shot a 4 under, 32! I still can't believe it. I drove so fast coming home b/c I was excited to put it on the forum, hahaha. Finally, everything clicked for me. I am starting to convert putts, it's something I've been working very hard on and my hard work is finally paying off. I had a break through with the putter, but it's something that I prefer keeping to myself. It helped birdie'ing both of the Par 3's for sure, as I would gladly walk of the front 9 there with pars on both of those holes. I stuffed on in tight with a 7 iron on #2 from 174, it was about a 2 foot birdie putt, and I left myself below the hole on the Par 3 5th so I had a relatively easy uphill 10 footer. I only managed to birdie one of the Par 5's, both of which are true 3 shot par 5's and I was able to birdie #9, which can only be done by hitting a really good drive.

The RXT's are the real deal for me. I can't believe how much more accurate I am with them. I've developed a bit of a strategy with them, again, don't want to share that either, but I believe it's paying off.

Anyway:

Score: 32
fwys: 5/7
girs: 8/9
putts: 13
birdies: 4
pars: 5
others: 0 - woot woot!

I'm on cloud 9 right now. I hope this wasn't a fluke. Truth be told, the rain may have been a blessing b/c I know I would've been playing "protect" golf on the back 9, haha.

Helluva 9 Captain. Congrats, I bet that was a lot of fun for you and I'm really happy for you, thrilled in fact.

Tomorrow morning, MC'ers will want to check out the home page.

I promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back