Most stupid thing to screw up your round?

When a bug crawls over my ball just as I'm going to hit it.

People talking while I am getting ready to hit. Just drives me insane. I don't think I have ever hit a good ball when people are talking (whispering within ear shot too).

Both these things get me. A couple rounds ago I had an ant on the ball, hit my approach on the green while thinking "have a nice flight," and I swear that same ant was sitting there on my ball when I went to line up my putt... waiting on me.... taunting me....

Last year in a comp I hit a good long drive into the light rough on a 580 yd par 5. I had a good line to lay up so stood next to the ball and did a nonchalent practice swing. I totally didn't take into consideration the tree next to my ball and took a reasonable sized branch off of the tree. BANG, TWO SHOT PENALTY!! I was fuming with myself for letting my concentration slip so bad. Took a 7 on the hole, would have been a par on the SI 3 if not for my stupidity. was cursing myself for the next 5 holes and never recovered.

2 sroke penalty for breaking a branch on a practice swing? Not aware of the rule. Rules shmools!

As far as something trivial is concerned, how about nothing at all? I mean on Tuesday, for six holes I was hitting good crisp shots, and scoring about average for me, just having a good time, then out of nowhere I went chunk, top, shank, etc. etc. to make 2 straight triple bogies without so much as even losing a ball for an excuse. Then made par on the 9th and played to my handicap for the back 9. But those 2 holes just killed the round, and absolutely nothing concrete to blame it on.

I can't stand when people give me swing advice and tell me what they think i should do different.

The that screws me up the most is when somebody gives swing advice, when I don't ask for it. Or even worse, when somebody tells me to change something about my swing after a good shot.

+1000- I HATE unsolicited swing advice. It really gets in my head....especially from someone I dont know.

People talking while I am getting ready to hit. Just drives me insane. I don't think I have ever hit a good ball when people are talking (whispering within ear shot too).

This drives me crazy too. The one time a year I let my wife go with me she makes sure to talk on the tee box quite a bit. HAHA

We got to listen to a concert one day this year. Also, got to hear air tools all day today while they set up stuff for the JDC. Really though, noise doesn't bother me so much as people talking to me while im about to hit the ball.

Posted via Tapatalk

A sudden pick up in the wind speed will cause me to wait or back off my ball. Or if it dies suddenly...

Slowplay & the bugs crawl on green around ball.

The Cranes here in Florida that think they own the course and dig for grub on the greens and tee boxes.

TapaTalk...THP on the fly!

Last edited:
I play frequently in south GA , and the gnats are TERRIBLE! If the gnats are bad on a given day, I will not be shooting good golf. They fly straight to my ears and eyes. I sweat quite a bit so they are always flocking to me, and I lose all concentration. Talking and slow play are also bad.

Slow play of course is the worst.

I hate when I'm chipping and someone is walking directly in my line of vision to the pin on the other side of the green and doesn't stop. I normally back off and go back through my pre shot routine but it makes me look like the bad guy.

****ing sun flower seeds all over the greens!!! It was ridiculous!!! And it seemed there were a bunch of divots no one fixed!!! That drives me crazy!!

I tap it in.

I was proud of myself today for NOT letting something stupid mess up my round. It was the second day of a tournament with a chance to contend and on the fourth hole. My birdie putt rolled across the lip of the cup and stopped 6 inches behind the ball. I moved around the hole avoiding another guy's line, touched my putter to the ground for balance preparing to tap in. Well the ball started rolling and since I had touched the ground it was a penalty stroke. I put the ball back, tapped it in and DIDN"T let it bother me. A couple of years ago, similar circumstances a ball in rough moved as I started my backswing and I let it bother me for several holes costing me several strokes.

My head, I start thinking about how well I am playing and on that pure thought I start getting stupid. If I was -1 through 6 and on the 7th hole I stubbed a chip and ruined an easy up and down, my round would be gone right there.

When someone in my group is playing on their phone or texting when it's their shot and we have to wait...ahhh drives me crazy haha

Normally I don't have a problem with this. I try not to let anything bother me on the course. Come on, I go to the course to get away from my problems and worries. I try to relax!

On the other hand, I do hate it when I hit a bad shot towards trees, water, ect. and someone says "well that's wet." or "well thats headed for the trees, "Or you could have done better." Really Sherlock? Watson help ya figure that one out?

Like everybody else slow play is what gets me. I understand everybody is out there just trying to have a good time and when things go slow my game goes down hill. I feel like I can't get in my rhythym always stopping and waiting and hitting and waiting. Then I end up frustrated and that throws my game off more. Thats about it for me I can deal with people talking and making more racket while I'm hitting because I learned the game in an environment like that.

The only thing worse than slow play, is when you are behind a group that is at a snails pace, and while waiting on the tee box, you see them flag down the cart girl in the middle of the fairway to reload. Why not have her wait til after the whole, and while they are reloading, let me play through?

My head, I start thinking about how well I am playing and on that pure thought I start getting stupid. If I was -1 through 6 and on the 7th hole I stubbed a chip and ruined an easy up and down, my round would be gone right there.

That's me. I start playing the what-if game in my head. Guaranteed to kill my round.

Slow play, hit more 1 ball, and people that wait for green to clear from 270+ and proceed to chunk it 25 yards everytime.

Play slow infront of me and I will clap wildly after you putt out for your 8 everytime.

gnats. nothing will fluster me faster than a swarm of gnats

slow play only gets me if it's a group of people who don't know how to golf. You know, the ones who don't know anything about the game and are just out to enjoy the afternoon (which is fine, nothing wrong with that, the more the merrier), the only thing is they're hitting their tee shots, maybe, 100 yards, all over the place, taking a half an hour on a hole, should have let you through 2 holes ago, that just bothers the heck out of me. I try not to let it affect me, but it does.

Last year in a comp I hit a good long drive into the light rough on a 580 yd par 5. I had a good line to lay up so stood next to the ball and did a nonchalent practice swing. I totally didn't take into consideration the tree next to my ball and took a reasonable sized branch off of the tree. BANG, TWO SHOT PENALTY!! I was fuming with myself for letting my concentration slip so bad. Took a 7 on the hole, would have been a par on the SI 3 if not for my stupidity. was cursing myself for the next 5 holes and never recovered.

Would it still be a penalty if you were nowhere near your ball? just curious.

The that screws me up the most is when somebody gives swing advice, when I don't ask for it. Or even worse, when somebody tells me to change something about my swing after a good shot.

The newest thing though is when I tee off with my fairway or hybrid and a playing partner makes fun of me for being scared. When I score better on the hole, they usually say something ignorant like "that's because you were a pansy and teed off with your hybrid." It doesn't really throw off my round , it just makes me angry.

I'm right there with you blugold. My friends who are probably the same game as me if not a little worse offering advice is always funny, but then it gets under my skin. Its like my neighbor telling me how to grow my grass or setup my landscaping etc... if I wanted your opinion I would tell it to you, or ask for it.

Chafing. I'm not overweight, but on those hot summer days when I'm walking a course it can get painful. You know what I mean.

Back