Talking to someone else's ball....in flight

It only bothers me from someone who doesn't know my game at all. Had a random I was paired with and I was playing hole #2 which was par 5. I was 230 out but into a wind so I hit a cut 3 wood. I end up smashing it more than I wanted. In my head I am saying "get down, get down". Numbskull standing next to me is screaming "get up, fly fly" and I just stared at him in a bit of disbelief. The ball flies the green and ends up about 8 yards past the green.

He turns to me and says, "wow you must of got all of that one. My 3 wood would never fly that far."

No sh%t. How about next time you play a few holes with me first to gauge my game before you start offering up words of wisdom to my ball in flight so emphatically. It wasn't even the fact he said something that annoyed me, it was the fact that he was so emphatic and secure that his advice was right.

I think a few would slip out of my mouth. Inside my head I'd probably be talking to his ball to be the worst outcome possible. ;)

It only bothers me from someone who doesn't know my game at all. Had a random I was paired with and I was playing hole #2 which was par 5. I was 230 out but into a wind so I hit a cut 3 wood. I end up smashing it more than I wanted. In my head I am saying "get down, get down". Numbskull standing next to me is screaming "get up, fly fly" and I just stared at him in a bit of disbelief. The ball flies the green and ends up about 8 yards past the green.

He turns to me and says, "wow you must of got all of that one. My 3 wood would never fly that far."

No sh%t. How about next time you play a few holes with me first to gauge my game before you start offering up words of wisdom to my ball in flight so emphatically. It wasn't even the fact he said something that annoyed me, it was the fact that he was so emphatic and secure that his advice was right.

I will say publicly right now. If I ever play with any of you. You are free to talk to my ball all you want.

This goes back to the 'good shot' thread to me a bit. I thought it was interesting how many people said it never bothers them, when they've said that this definitely bothers them. They're a lot of the same people doing both.

I don't have an issue with it in general. I just don't want someone narrating everything my ball is doing.

.. and then telling me how good or not it was. Lol

I always talk to balls in flight. Heck I even do it at the range sometimes!

The only time it matters one way or the other is if a friend says good putt before the ball is in the hole and it misses, I can give him grief for putting his mouth on my ball. We also have what we call Jernigan-ing: saying "BOOM!" before the putt goes in, but ultimately misses.

The one i really dislike is when you blade one out of the bunker and someone yells "bite". I know they mean well but the ball has zero chance to bite

I have a bad habit of misreading other players putts and saying "nice putt" just before it misses the hole

The one i really dislike is when you blade one out of the bunker and someone yells "bite". I know they mean well but the ball has zero chance to bite
I think sometimes that's said in Jest...no?

I think sometimes that's said in Jest...no?

Oh sure sometimes it's a friend ribbing you which is fine. I do that to when i'm playing with good friends , i'm prone to the "oh it's fine over there" if someone hits it way OB or into a hazard

But sometimes they mean it! I've had people say this in tournaments LOL, like Club championships etc

Doesn't bother me, and I know I do it to others. What I do find funny is when someone (spoiler.... its me) hits a hook that is going hard left and another person in the group starts yelling at it to cut.... I appreciate the sentiment, but that is like yelling at a hurricane to turn around from the beach. Not happening.

Doesn’t bother me. But I will tell the ball to do the opposite if it’s a bad call. “Go ball!” “Nooo! Don’t go. Sit hard, sit hard. SIT. Land soft. Find some spin. Roll back up that hill. Find some magic. No? Damn.”

LOL talk to it all you want I don't care! Sounds like another guy who should play solo so he does not have to have any interaction with someone else!

LOL talk to it all you want I don't care! Sounds like another guy who should play solo so he does not have to have any interaction with someone else!
I absolutely hate when @Doubleb21 talks to my putts.

BISSELLED!!!!!

I absolutely hate when @Doubleb21 talks to my putts.

BISSELLED!!!!!

I get blamed for looking at a ball wrong if the putt does not drop lol! What is funny is i am not the biggest culprit of this at all!

As long as it's done with genuine positive intent, then I am all for it.

Fun story about it though, during the summer, I tee off on a par 5 and the ball is going righter than right. The dreaded block fade/slice. So much right spin the anchors on ******* News thought it was too right.

My wife, with the best of intentions yells "Curve!" I yell, "NO, IT'S ALREADY CURVING!" She meant draw, but that wasn't the word she used.

Depends. If you talk to my balls and they don’t end up where I want then yes I’m not ok with it. 😆

It doesnt bother me at all. Hurts nothing and generally the intention is good. My ball generally needs all the encouragment it can get. Still doesnt effing listen though.

Last edited:
interesting. WhyV and I'm genuinely asking because I've never even considered it bothering someone lol
Just a weird voodoo golf karma thing I guess. Obviously, the ball doesn't listen, right?:ROFLMAO:

Someone talking to my ball ... does it bother me? If so, why?

No.

It is sort of funny when someone urges my ball to do something that turns out to be the opposite of what I may have wanted (e.g. Bite!!! and then the ball ends up short).

There is a slight variation of talking to the ball in flight that does irritate me a little, the "early call" on putts. You putt and three feet from the hole someone says "good putt," then the ball burns the edge and stays out. One time, okay, no problem. Two times, it's all good. After a while, however, it gets kind of old to always hear "good putt" just before the ball rolls by the hole or stops 1/2 inch short.

I don't say anything to the guy who always wants to make the early call. I just wait for him to double cross his drive toward the O,B, fence and I say "Good Shot." ;)

Last edited:
Back