Brushing Your Teeth at the Office: Acceptable?

Is it acceptable to brush your teeth in a communal bathroom with shared sinks?

• Yes, why not?

Votes: 43 79.6%
  • No, what’s wrong with people?

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As I sit here in jury duty and listen to “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” play in the distant background, I thought I would pose a question that has had me wondering for quite a while:

Is it acceptable to brush your teeth in a common bathroom?

Did you answer change post-pandemic?

I find myself increasingly annoyed at people brushing their teeth next to me while I wash my hands. With the brushing, rinsing and spitting, is it reasonable to do that with other strangers in the bathroom?

As you may guess, I am against communal bathroom brushing. But I am also curious to see if I am overreacting to this.

As I sit here in jury duty and listen to “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” play in the distant background, I thought I would pose a question that has had me wondering for quite a while:

I find myself increasingly annoyed at people brushing their teeth next to me while I wash my hands. With the brushing, rinsing and spitting, is it reasonable to do that with other strangers in the bathroom?

As you may guess, I am against communal bathroom brushing. But I am also curious to see if I am overreacting to this.
It's perfectly reasonable to me. Before Covid when I was in the office every day I would brush after meals in the bathroom. Never had anyone comment or question it and there were several others who did the same thing. I've been working from home the last few years so it's even easier to brush after meals.

I might not do it at a multi-sink set up. But in a single person restroom, why not? It can't be dirtier than some of the stuff that goes on in any bathroom.

clearly, I should have made this a poll 😅

My girlfriend and I just had this debate. She said hard no. I don’t mind it as long as it isn’t a main sink.

I only brush my teeth at work twice a year, before I leave for my dentist appointment.

I'd much rather people brush their teeth at the office than having to WISH someone would brush their teeth at the office.

I might not do it at a multi-sink set up. But in a single person restroom, why not? It can't be dirtier than some of the stuff that goes on in any bathroom.
I am specifically referencing a common bathroom with multiple sinks, and excluding the single user bathroom.

As someone that just got Invisalign and eat at the office I say it is acceptable. To me it was always why would I do that but there are times it is needed. Also there are a lot of people with bad breath so I encourage brushing. They should still be neat about it.

I am specifically referencing a common bathroom with multiple sinks, and excluding the single user bathroom.
Then I would just not do it when someone is using the sink next to me. And clean the F up after you're done.

Better in something like handicap sinks honestly, communal sinks is a little much. That being said, don’t have gross breath if you had an aggressive meal!

If the other option is bad breath, please feel free to brush.

I do at work before leaving for the dentist.

Brushing teeth in the bathroom is one of the more sanitary things that gets done in the bathroom.
Is it? Without going too far down this road, someone going number 1 and number 2 may cause an unpleasant odor, but it won’t get you sick. I’m not so sure spitting in the sink or brushing your teeth and getting saliva particles in the air would be the same.

Definitely acceptable as long as they aren't spitting in my sink while I'm washing my hands, lol. My answer did not change due to the pandemic.

Absolutely. It's the place for such thoughtfulness.

Definitely acceptable as long as they aren't spitting in my sink while I'm washing my hands, lol. My answer did not change due to the pandemic.
So to clarify, you would be ok if I was brushing my teeth next to you while you wash your hands, just so long as we are not sharing the same sink?

Back