Totaly lost driver swing. And its my irons fault.

burmbuster

Reaction score
Handicap
Well,
I have been concentrating exclusively on my iron swing for about a month. Then I started demo'ing different irons to replace my old set. I hit irons off the tee box on every tee. So now I wanted to get a new big stick. Problem is I have totaly lost my driver swing. Its more of an iron swing now, to the point that I actually hit the ball with the crown of the driver toward the tow. The only way I can hit a driver even remotely decent is to start with my weight mostly on my front foot and keep it there. I dont know whats going on but I have to fix this before I purchase a new driver. Anyone ever experience this? Any tips or drills would be greatly appreciated.

in my experience with the driver...

make sure you are playing the ball off your left heel and your weight should be more on your right foot at the start, not your left. This will help you hit up on the ball. Also make sure you aren't standing too close to the ball.

going through the same thing. I used to hit my driver 260 and dead straight, consistently. I took some lessons to straighten out my irons, and I am money with them now, but I can't get off of the tee consistently now. When I get it worked out, and I am close, I will let you know, but for me it is just range time.

The reoccuring things I hear from my lessons regarding the driver, ball should be forward in your stance, and tilt your right shoulder down so your spine and driver shaft are parrallel.

The reoccuring things I hear from my lessons regarding the driver, ball should be forward in your stance, and tilt your right shoulder down so your spine and driver shaft are parrallel.

Agree with blugold i also think the problem people also have is the swing speed, many people try and swing to hard with the driver and than change with irons idk if this is you but its worth a shot.

If you get some down the line video, I might be able to help you some.

I am going to the range during lunch. I will see if I can get some video going this afternoon at home. Then I will see if I can figure out how to upload it on THP.
Thanks, Thainer.

When my irons are working well, it always seems like my driver acts out and vice versa. My tendency is to turn inside too much because I used to be all arms and now I'm trying to turn better. I recently worked that out with my irons and I've been striking them better than ever but I still find myself doing it with my driver. The last two times out I really concentrated on getting my driver back on plane and not so much inside and it was so much better.

When my irons are working well, it always seems like my driver acts out and vice versa. My tendency is to turn inside too much because I used to be all arms and now I'm trying to turn better. I recently worked that out with my irons and I've been striking them better than ever but I still find myself doing it with my driver. The last two times out I really concentrated on getting my driver back on plane and not so much inside and it was so much better.

Yeah, thats part of my problem. I am going to try and keep my right elbow tucked in more on my downswing and see what that does.

Im having the same problem right now too. I am hitting my irons better than I ever had. But now I can't hit a driver straight at all. I keep slicing my driver now, again. For me it feels like I come though the ball fine but my hands aren't turning over at all. I dont know what I am doing, but it just feels weird with the driver now. How much should you feel like you are turning your hands? I had a lesson recently with my pro and he weakened my grip quite a bit and said that with my strong grip I would open my face that way I wouldn't hook it and I need to stop doing that now. But I am kind of confused. Does he mean to make sure I turn my hands better through impact? Thanks.

Back