New clubs - rocks...play it as it lies?

Wow I wouldn't hit it out of that with an old set of clubs!! It's crazy to see something like that on a golf course

Man I wish I played where you play. I've seen lies like that in the middle of fairways around here

it amazes me that a lie like this could be considered "part of the course" and you don't get any sort of relief from it.
of course, i've never played in Texas. i'm used to green grass and tall trees. lots of trees...

still...turning in scores or friendly meaningless round or tournament or whatever, i would never hit my sticks off of a lie like that.
and i'd put up one hell of an argument before taking a stroke for relief from there...

I think it's a bit different for me in that I don't see that kind of lie hardly ever, as you mentioned it's not uncommon where you play. That said, I would most certainly take the drop. There isn't a single club I own that I'd want to take through that grinder.

Also, if you want iron covers dude, get them. They protect from bag chatter and make the clubs look good longer. I've never personally used them, but they are YOUR clubs. As long as you don't take your sweet time when playing, go for it.

I would break out the old foot wedge, take a stroke penalty and move on. I really hate it when I end up in a trap and there is more rocks than sand in there. Really bothers me. I sometimes just take a stroke penalty and move my ball either to an area of sand without rocks or just move it out of the trap if I cannot find an area without rocks. I am not going to ruin my clubs because the course couldn't take the time to do their job and make the course playable.

Even if you cleared some of those rocks out of the way it would still be an awful lie. Keep those Nikes looking beautiful and new.

it amazes me that a lie like this could be considered "part of the course" and you don't get any sort of relief from it.
of course, i've never played in Texas. i'm used to green grass and tall trees. lots of trees...

still...turning in scores or friendly meaningless round or tournament or whatever, i would never hit my sticks off of a lie like that.
and i'd put up one hell of an argument before taking a stroke for relief from there...

I would agree - you would think it should be marked as a hazard because no one should have to hit off a lie like that. Wonder if it's ground under repair as they are waiting for grass to grow? :D Just kidding.

On a good note - normally the terrain on the courses I play in TX when you miss a fairway is typical rough or just hard pan dirt which I have no issue with. This is a bit extreme....even for Texas. Hard to believe - but the rest of the course is decent although judging by that one pic everyone is probably thinking "I never want to play there"!

Nope I would take a penalty drop. I hit out of a bunker a few weeks ago and couldn't see a big rock under the sand. So when i hit my shot a baseball sized rock flew out the bunker also. Luckily I didn't hurt my wedge.

New or older clubs I'm moving it. I pay way too much money to damage my clubs from rocks. There some hazards/waste areas I won't even attempt to hit out of with crushed shells, rocks, etc. in them.

I would take a drop for sure. There wouldn't be a second thought.

Depends on the round - if I was scoring well - I'd play it - you can always buy a new club but who knows when you'll shoot a 75 again?

@mcook77 Nike VR Pro Combo Irons Review:

"Love my new irons! Scored my lowest round ever. 6 iron exploded while attempting to hit off gravel. Doctor's appointment next week to remove shrapnel and rocks embedded in my face. But I love these new irons!"

@mcook77 Nike VR Pro Combo Irons Review:

"Love my new irons! Scored my lowest round ever. 6 iron exploded while attempting to hit off gravel. Doctor's appointment next week to remove shrapnel and rocks embedded in my face. But I love these new irons!"

:rotfl: The things I will do for testing!

I wouldn't hit it with old irons. Why are there rocks on the golf course? I could see a waste bunker or the woods, but that's sort of wrong imo. I got a dent in a wedge from a rock in a bunker not long ago. That pi$$ed me right off.

I wouldn't even think about it, drop. I work hard for my golfing money and in no way am I taking the chance on ruining a club because I was to caught up in rules to move the ball. A penalty stroke, I'll forget about that soon after leaving the clubhouse; a broken club (or bady part), that will linger a little longer.

Why are there rocks on the golf course?

Good question and something I will ask about before my round next week. My guess is to punish the golfers who can't hit it straight every time. :D

Bad thing is that I hit M3 off the tee and landed in the fairway about 10 yards left of the cart path but it slopes to the right and ran over the cart path to that resting place in the picture.

Now, if I could go to the tour van right after the round and have them make me up a new set, then I would definately hit out of there. But without a sponsorship, a penalty stroke is a lot less expansive than repairing a club.

I'd take a penalty stroke and a drop just like just about everyone says they would, especially if it's just a fun round.

We have local rules for crap like that. Hell we would be taking a stroke on every shot if we had to drop from unplayable lies all day.

That looks like a bunch of loose impediments that can be removed.

In a casual round, bump it, no penalty.

In a money game or tournament, remove as many rocks as you can and play it.

A) Drop and take a penalty stroke and move on your merry way finishing up the rest of your round.

B) Hit out of that crap and regretfully damage your club.

C) Hit out of that crap and - doesn't matter about the club - damage your body in some way (hand, arm, shoulder, leg, face) and perhaps not be able to play golf like you do now.

Which do you choose?

IMO, I'd go with A every single time.

I would drop myself, no point in potentially breaking a club when making the shot

Unless it was a tournament, that's what I'd do - drop at the nearest point of not rocks and play it from there.

We have local rules for crap like that. Hell we would be taking a stroke on every shot if we had to drop from unplayable lies all day.

edit: hmmmmm good way to jack the old handicap up for next year's Club Championship. Seriously we had areas like this marked with white paint in our recent tournament and got relief. It was a local tournament rule so folks could have fun and not tear up equipment, injury themselves, and it definitely help speed up play.

I would take a penalty and move to safe ground. In interest of knowinig the EXACT rules, I pose this question; doesn't the "Unplayable Lie" rule only allow for the ball to be moved up to 2 club lengths away? What if that still leaves you in an unplayable lie? Can you take another unplayable lie penalty and move another 2 club lenths and so on until you reach a playable lie?

I would take a penalty and move to safe ground. In interest of knowinig the EXACT rules, I pose this question; doesn't the "Unplayable Lie" rule only allow for the ball to be moved up to 2 club lengths away? What if that still leaves you in an unplayable lie? Can you take another unplayable lie penalty and move another 2 club lenths and so on until you reach a playable lie?

In this case, I do not believe that 2 club lengths would get me to a playable lie. These were not really loose impediments (as someone else brought up) but rocks firmly in place. I will definitely be asking next time there if there is a local rule that offers relief. If not, I will drop in the nearest safe spot and take my penalty stroke.

Back