New clubs - rocks...play it as it lies?

#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
So, as my bag has acquired some nicer and newer clubs I start to think about this a bit more. I will soon be testing out the Nike VR Pro Combos and obviously want to keep them looking as sharp as absolutely possible. Already have begun the hunt for the best iron covers.

Well, the course I played yesterday which is my "weekday, after work course" has a few holes where if you miss the fairway right you are in rocks. Below is a picture from the 15th hole - about 4 yards from the cart path and about 20 yards from the middle of the fairway. With my current irons, I always "play it as it lies"....with new irons I think I would refuse to hit off of it.

Would you hit off of it? If not, would you take a penalty and drop somewhere else?

IMG_0581.jpg

I would drop myself, no point in potentially breaking a club when making the shot

Would you hit off of it? If not, would you take a penalty and drop somewhere else?

IMG_0581.jpg
Hells NO! I'm not ruining my clubs for a shot during a meaningless round. If it was a tournament, it would depend, but more than likely I would never take that shot.

Already have begun the hunt for the best iron covers.
Ummm, please don't.

[email protected] waiting for the iron cover comment. I have never used them before....still go back and forth on the idea. Just want to take care of the equipment - but I know where you are coming from.

So, since I report all rounds towards my handicap; if I were to move/drop would you guys say that a penalty stroke is in order? I seem to be in one of the batches of rocks at least once every time I play (twice yesterday).

Take the penalty . I would worry what else could break if you hit a bad shot..... That is UGLY lie

If the picture is the actual surface you are playing off then I wouldn`t hit off under any circumstances..I`d take a stroke and move to a better lie...Not only would you destroy a club...it`s dangerous...If you ever hit out of water and got a face full of it just think if it was rocks and pebbles...Jim

EDIT FOR IRON COVERS...I have them and they save the faces...I ride in a cart which takes its toll on the clubs...I use a 14 club divided bag also and I just use the head covers on "every other iron"...this works perfectly and you have 1/2 the covers to take on and off...Jim

No way I would hit out of there. Back when I first got my X22's, I was playing with a guy who was one of those rules sticklers and I had a lie similar to that. I asked him what I should do, and when he said play it as it lies or take the penalty, I hit out of the stuff and put a huge chunked out ding in the sole of my 4iron. Immediate regret. If I owned the Pro Combos, no way in hell I'd hit them in that stuff.

If I hit the ball in that area, I'm hitting out of it. You clubs are going to get scratched and dinged over time, it adds character. I understand you want to keep your clubs pretty but let'em breathe.

[email protected] waiting for the iron cover comment. I have never used them before....still go back and forth on the idea. Just want to take care of the equipment - but I know where you are coming from.
IMO, you might as well put a "KICK ME" sign on your back. Yeah, I'm not a fan of them and think they are unnecessary and hold up play with people taking them on and off. I've seen it first hand. They are dust covers and if you use your clubs regularly, you don't need them.

So, since I report all rounds towards my handicap; if I were to move/drop would you guys say that a penalty stroke is in order? I seem to be in one of the batches of rocks at least once every time I play (twice yesterday).
You ended up in the lie, you either play it as it lies or take an unplayable lie and follow the rules from there.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. So, since I posted 20 minutes ago my iron cover search has been officially cancelled and I will NOT hit off that lie with my new irons...penalty and drop it is!

Did you have a clear shot to the green? If so why would you take a penalty? Just wondering...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. So, since I posted 20 minutes ago my iron cover search has been officially cancelled and I will NOT hit off that lie with my new irons...penalty and drop it is!

Did you have a clear shot to the green? If so why would you take a penalty? Just wondering...

Not a clear shot to the green. I hit from that lie yesterday trying to get it back into the fairway and it ran through the narrow fairway (just hit it too hard) and into a small pond area leading to a bogey (was able to get onto the green after dropping from water hazard).

The reason for dropping and taking the penalty going forward is the damage I do not want to incur to my new clubs. I have been using my 6 iron for all shots off this type of lie so I only have one screwed up club. Will post a pic of how it looks right now momentarily.

Not a clear shot to the green. I hit from that lie yesterday trying to get it back into the fairway and it ran through the narrow fairway (just hit it too hard) and into a small pond area leading to a bogey (was able to get onto the green after dropping from water hazard).

The reason for dropping and taking the penalty going forward is the damage I do not want to incur to my new clubs. I have been using my 6 iron for all shots off this type of lie so I only have one screwed up club. Will post a pic of how it looks right now momentarily.

As I have new clubs I would take the drop or possibly stick an old PW in my bag as only have 13 clubs currently and play out with that

It's ok to want to protect them. I wouldn't hit out of fairway bunkers with my new irons for a month at least. :D Seriously...ask TC.

I'd play it. With a putter only!

I would punch out with another club or something. I will baby the Nikes at first but inevitably you will hit a rock buried in the fairway or something. Once that happens it will be game on and I will hit them where it lies. Clubs are meant to be played

Paulo - no way I am using my SeeMore for that!! :)

Wish I could carry a club just for situations like this but as my bag will sit with the Nike's, I just can't give up a space (already pulled the 3 and 5 woods so I can test out everything appropriately and still be within 14 clubs and still have my Mashies).

Here is a photo of my rock club....and it will not clean up any better - damage has been done:

IMG_0582.jpg

It's ok to want to protect them. I wouldn't hit out of fairway bunkers with my new irons for a month at least. :D Seriously...ask TC.

hahaha, it's true! I'm the same way though man, really I am. I've even just topped balls out of certain lies, lol

hell no i wouldnt hit it out of that lie, also i have iron covers on my mizzys and its saved them from all the bag chatter.

drop, take stroke and move on

Should complain to the course manager about having crap like that to hit out of too

I wouldn't play off of it for two reasons.

1) Could damage the club

2) Could damage me! My buddy played off of what he thought was a grassy patch last night...hit a rock and his hand swelled. Might have cracked something.

Wow I wouldn't hit it out of that with an old set of clubs!! It's crazy to see something like that on a golf course

Back