Adjustable drivers, who are they for?

I think the adjustable drivers are for players working to correct their swing flaws but haven't yet. The beauty of the adjustable drivers is that when/if you finally correct that slice (or hook) and can now hit it straight (or the other way) you can adjust the driver back to neutral.

A recent post I read inspired me to attempt this discusion.

The post talked about that fact that a lot of people think that an adjustable driver will fix their bad swing. With adjustbale dirvers pretty much dominating the market it's pretty easy to think that. It seems as though the marketing tells people that they can adjust the driver to their swing and hit it further and straighter.

While this tends to stir up arguement that people are still going to have a bad swing that works with just one club, I ask who else are the adjustable drivers for? If we all had perfect swings then the only thing keeping us off the tour would be our mental game and putting.

What are your thoughts on the future of the game/swings/teaching?

Maybe I've lost control of this thread or people aren't actually reading what I wrote and instead responding to the title, maybe take a look at the bold and actually contribute your thoughts, instead of your pointless one liners.

I think that there is a big misconception that people really want to fix their swing to play better golf. I think there are plenty of people that just want to have fun and find something to make the game easier.

An adjustable driver gives you the option of using a closed face club until you correct your slice then make it a square club as your swing improves. The other option is buying two different clubs. Better players use the club for varying course conditions.

Why not an adjustable driver? Even if you optimize it one and leave it, at least you have it optimized. Even if you buyi t and find that stock, neutral position is best for you; so be it. No loss. I don't see any downside. They really don't cost that much more than the non adjustable drivers.

I think that there is a big misconception that people really want to fix their swing to play better golf. I think there are plenty of people that just want to have fun and find something to make the game easier.

Exactly!

The razr cuts to the point.

--
tapatalk

Why not an adjustable driver? Even if you optimize it one and leave it, at least you have it optimized. Even if you buyi t and find that stock, neutral position is best for you; so be it. No loss. I don't see any downside. They really don't cost that much more than the non adjustable drivers.

I agree and actually play one. At the same time, I don't think adjustability is necessary for a driver to be good or great.

They appeal to me. I wouldn't trust any reasonable amount of store-fitting(s) to get the driver 'just right'. I'd pick one that seemed about right, and having the option of being able to adjust it later, once I really know how I am doing with it (on the course), would be comforting.

I agree with you 100%. Why not make it fun insted of seeing people quite after a few rounds just because they are OB every other time.
I'm a proponent of them for the exact reason you don't agree with them. If it helps someone get in the fairway a few more times a round then more power to them. Golf should be enjoyable, slicing a ball off the golf course isn't fun, and will likely lead to someone giving up on the game. The guy who just wants to go out a few times and play with his buds should have every advantage possible to help him. He's most likely not out there to be a balls to the wall golfer, he just wants to have some fun.

Maybe he doesn't have the time or money to seek out lessons to correct a major swing flaw, but if dropping an 11gr weight in the heel and shutting the face can help that slice a little then who the heck am I to discourage it. I'd be the first one to high five him when he nailed one good and kept it in play, because he is going to enjoy this game and hopefully keep playing, which is good for everyone.

What's the difference from an adjustable driver correcting a swing flaw or a draw weighted club helping shut the face? Nothing. They both help the golfer hit the ball straighter. Recently a company supplied a great many balls to thp for testing that were focused on reducing side spin. A wonderful idea for the same type of golfer, to help keep them in play. The e6 is a similar ball in design and it has seen incredible response in the market. Do you disagree with them as well?

I'm all about making this game more enjoyable within reasonable limits, we don't need people walking away from it.

--
tapatalk

I can definitely understand that, plenty of days that I wish I could have made a quick fix just to enjoy the game.

I like this, you may not need the adjustability now but maybe somewhere down the road, allows you to buy a driver for the long term

Maybe I've lost control of this thread or people aren't actually reading what I wrote and instead responding to the title, maybe take a look at the bold and actually contribute your thoughts, instead of your pointless one liners.

To respond to BnG's question, I believe we have a better understanding of the golf swing than ever with slow motion cameras and such, and consequently equipment will evolve to take advantage of this knowledge and hopefully make the game easier for the average Joe. However, I think the golf swing is an unnatural move and people will always have problems hitting the ball straight and far and need for lessons will probably never go away. Also, I think golf has become a more accessible sport over the years, and hopefully that trend continues with more avid golfers as well as people who generally just want to have some fun.
Personally, I would like to be able to spend time with my kids on a golf course when they are older, so at the end of the day, I want golf to be even more popular than now, and the industry booming because that can only be a good thing for every golfer.

Adjustable drivers are awesome. The ability to change a club's characteristics, including the shaft, is a great opportunity for the consumer.

The only problem someone may have is if they buy one looking for a miracle fix for a bad swing. But, that's their problem and no club could fix that mental state.

I have an adjustable driver, but it is in the standard setting. Personally, I think they are a great option to the consumer because while I certainly wouldn't recommend making adjustments after every bad drive, you don't have that voice in the back of your head saying you should have bought it with ___ setup instead of what you did.

Plus...think about it from an OEM perspective. You're getting more $$$ for something that probably doesn't cost too much more to make PLUS you limit the model variation that you have to produce, which in turn reduces production costs. That's a win/win/win!

You're only looking at it from the "bad" golfers view, what about a good golfer who may want a little different ball flight with their driver, depending on the course, but doesn't want to rework a swing just to be more draw bias off the tee or something.

Changing the loft on the driver or open/closed is actually pretty neat when you´ve gotten the hang of it. And it could help you-or not. A bad swing will stay a bad swing until you fix it with lessons, but if you for example have a slice tendency you could probably reduce it a bit by changing the face angle of your driver.

I don´t change mine often, but I do on occasion decrease the loft or change the shaft to a lower launching shaft when I´m hitting the ball good. When my timing is off, I appreciate the high-launch shaft as I tend to hit the ball pretty low.

But then again, that´s me.

Hawk, I am with you on the weights but I have never opened or closed the face except on the range testing out the functionality. If I slice or hook consistantly I know I need to work on the swing, my worry is that people will begin to forget to work on the swing and just close/open the face, then the swing gets worse.

Sorry had a meeting this afternoon and missed out on some of this discussion. I never said I have a problem with people buying adjustable drivers and take a look at my past posts I am a huge fan of being fitted for clubs. My worry and the reason I started this discussion was that people would just buy an adjustable driver off the rack and instead of learning and working on their swing they make an adjustment that gets them close enough and continue to swing badly with the rest of their clubs. I am a fan of adjustable drivers, I have one and it has been tuned to my swing which I have worked on for years while it will still change over time I'm not about the change my swing to fit a driver. With that being said these adjustable drivers seem to be marketed towards beginners and high handicap players when most of them don't really know what they are doing just yet.

TCU where you actually fitted to a 7* driver?

Personally I play a draw naturally(most of the time), while I don't have a perfect swing at all, I really don't feel it needs fixing as little as I play golf. With the driver I am more comfortable playing a straight ball or a slight fade so that is what my driver is set to, one "click" towards fade(Nike Str8Fit). To me it gives me the freedom to make my same swing(i.e. repetitive swing) and produce the desired results.

I think the adjustable drivers are for players working to correct their swing flaws but haven't yet. The beauty of the adjustable drivers is that when/if you finally correct that slice (or hook) and can now hit it straight (or the other way) you can adjust the driver back to neutral.

Have to agree with these two thoughts as well

You're only looking at it from the "bad" golfers view, what about a good golfer who may want a little different ball flight with their driver, depending on the course, but doesn't want to rework a swing just to be more draw bias off the tee or something.

I think that most of the adjustable drivers, especially the most popular models, are made for better golfers but marketed towards beginning golfers. R11 is a perfect example, I believe it's a 440 or 430 head where a 460 head would give the average or beginning golfer more forgiveness but it is probably the most popular adjustable driver out there.

I think that this post and the one after it are right on point. There were posts earlier that adjustable drivers are for someone wanting to fix a slice, and then once they do, they can set it back to neutral. I think that's way too limited of a view on adjustable drivers. I just picked up a used Titleist D2, 9.5* loft, and whether I'm a good golfer or a bad golfer, both for purposes of an up-front fitting, and for any subsequent adjustments that need to be made, the ease with which one can choose any one of the 16 available combinations is a huge asset. A good golfer may not be "neutral" or "standard" either, and the ability to adjust from a 9.5* loft up to an 11* loft, or down to an 8.75* loft, or to move to a draw bias or a fade bias, with a few clicks of the dials, is a very nice tool. Look at the variation in the settings of the Titleist pros--they're all over the map.

My tendency is to slice a ball, but I've never sliced a driver worse than a Burner Draw that I was using a couple of years ago, and that head was closed more than any driver I've used before or after. But a basic non-Draw Ping G10 or G15, with the stock shaft, has generally allowed me to hit straight. I tried a K15, which has earned a reputation as being as straight as any driver out there, with the stock TFC shaft, and was hitting it high and straight, but short. I then played a round with a K15 with a prolaunch red shaft, and sliced the ball horribly, probably because I could not properly get a stout shaft like the PL red squared up. I guess my point of all that is that it's hard to always know what face angle, loft and shaft will work best, and the adjustible drivers can be a big help in solving that problem. Add to that the ability to adjust for a windy day, or a wet or dry course, and I can totally see the benefits of an adjustable driver.

Back