Good players who don't "look" good

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
With all the effort and practice I put into my game I sure don't have much to show for it. Then, to irk me even more I will occasionally get paired up with someone who by the looks of their swing shouldn't be able to break 100, yet they serve me up a slice of humble pie and shoot 75 or something and say it was an "OK" day.

Couple of examples:

Last Friday I got paired up with a middle aged man who's swing looked awful. With his driver, he would bring the club back about 3/4 of the way until the club was perfectly vertical and perpendicular to the ground. He would then pause for what seemed like 2-3 seconds, then swing through. Funny thing was his drives were all about 260yds, dead straight. How he was able to generate the club-head speed necessary for that is beyond me.

On Sunday I got paired up with a man who was about 65 years old. He played in flip-flops & socks, (not kidding). He shot about 80 from the back tees.

Anyone else have these experiences? is it just someone embracing their "bad" swing and learning to compensate for it? I guess this isn't much of a thread, just me feeling sorry for my awful game and ranting.

I play by myself alot and get paired up with a lot of different types of golfers. I have learned long ago to never judge the golfer by their swing.

Perfect example - I get partnered with an older couple, probably in their late 60's to early 70's. This was about a year ago in Florida. The man had an OK swing but not too much turn to it. Still, he got up and down with no problem.
The wife, however, had the strangest swing I have ever seen and it was all I could do not to laugh every time I watched her. But every shot she hit was 150 yds. right down the middle, no matter the club. It was an amazing thing to see....

JB doesn't have the sexiest swing, but he sure gets it done, and gets it done well.

On the flipside, I love the look of my golfswing, but I can't put a decent round together. Funny how that works.

JB doesn't have the sexiest swing, but he sure gets it done, and gets it done well.

On the flipside, I love the look of my golfswing, but I can't put a decent round together. Funny how that works.

People tell me I have a very smooth looking swing. I can't shoot under 90 to save my life.

Played with a guy in college who had the quickest swing I've ever seen. Short and choppy. He was a +1 HC.

"flip-flops & socks" - I haven't played with him yet. I have seen the club pro playing in cargos and a tee shirt before though. I'd trade a good looking outfit for a good looking swing anyday.

Last Friday I got paired up with a middle aged man who's swing looked awful. With his driver, he would bring the club back about 3/4 of the way until the club was perfectly vertical and perpendicular to the ground. He would then pause for what seemed like 2-3 seconds, then swing through. Funny thing was his drives were all about 260yds, dead straight. How he was able to generate the club-head speed necessary for that is beyond me.

That was you? Too bad you didn't mention THP while we were playing.

Kevin

I have always heard "never gamble with a man with an ugly swing because he has learned to compensate." I have seen some ugly swings that truly fit this description. You will think there is no way he can beat you with such a swing, and then watch as he takes your money.

Most of the people I get paired with have just all around odd swings to me. And i'm sure they think the same of me. There's a guy on my league, who shows up in jeans and a long sleeve button down, untucked, and basically unbuttoned all the way half drunk and what appears to be a drunk swing to me. And he shoots in the low 80s every time. He's also talking to everyone else's ball, commenting on everyone's swing, giving advice and then letting you know what you should have done after the fact too.

I have always heard "never gamble with a man with an ugly swing because he has learned to compensate." I have seen some ugly swings that truly fit this description. You will think there is no way he can beat you with such a swing, and then watch as he takes your money.

I thought it was "Never bet with an old man with old clubs, new grips, and lead tape on said clubs."

This seasons Big Break fits this perfectly. Although most are better than myself, for being an a nationally televised golf program, I think the talent level is low. Not too mention, there are some hideous looking golfs swings on there! Carl has the biggest chicken wing i've ever seen and Will grips the club left hand low as a right handed player.

I hate the guy who has 3K worth of brand new equipment, all the newest clothing and shoes, and plays brand new prov1 but cant break 100!!! Those guys are my favorite to play with because everytime they shank a shot its because they didnt adjust their driver, or the wind picked up in their back swing, ect!!

I hate the guy who has 3K worth of brand new equipment, all the newest clothing and shoes, and plays brand new prov1 but cant break 100!!! Those guys are my favorite to play with because everytime they shank a shot its because they didnt adjust their driver, or the wind picked up in their back swing, ect!!

Id rather play with that guy than the guy worrying about what somebody else is wearing or shooting.

Posted via Tapatalk

I've been playing this game for over 30 years.
I learned a long time ago, to not judge a golfer by the attire, equipment or even the swing.

On my college golf team we had a guy that usually played in the #2 position in our line-up. He hit it nowhere off the tee, usually with a hook, and seemed to scrape his irons somewhere toward the green, and really had a kind of sloppy putting stroke. But, at the end of the round he invariably totalled 73,74,75. Ya just never know.

Id rather play with that guy than the guy worrying about what somebody else is wearing or shooting.

Posted via Tapatalk

Boom goes the dynamite. +1.

Kevin

I've been playing this game for over 30 years.
I learned a long time ago, to not judge a golfer by the attire, equipment or even the swing.

Amen sir! I played with an older guy the other week in t-shirt and dress shorts. He was an amazing ball striker and a pretty funny guy. He shot a 78 and just made it look so easy. I also find that I play 100% better when I play with better players.

There used to be a saying "never gamble with a man with an old set of clubs with fresh grips"

I tapped that.

That was you? Too bad you didn't mention THP while we were playing.Kevin

It's mutual,.. I'd rather play with him again too.

Posted via Tapatalk

I have to agree with you Hawk.

BAN!!!!!!! I kid ofcourse, but I played a few days ago in 88* heat with a guy wearing khakis, a polo shirt w/ a cotton undershirt and a boonie hat. Talk about hot. Never played with anyone as odd as Flip Flops and socks though...He wouldn't get on most of the courses I play...LOL

I definitely do not have the most fundamentally sound swing...at all...but it works for me a lot of the time.

I'm not trying to be too much of an a$$ when I say that, but it does annoy me to no end to hear it. I honestly don't care what anybody wears, games, or shoots. What I care about is if they act like a damn fool or not. Play golf, be respectful, be friendly. If you suck and have an awesome bag and some sweet clothes I'm probably going to ask you about them.

BAN!!!!!!! I kid ofcourse, but I played a few days ago in 88* heat with a guy wearing khakis, a polo shirt w/ a cotton undershirt and a boonie hat. Talk about hot. Never played with anyone as odd as Flip Flops and socks though...He wouldn't get on most of the courses I play...LOL

I'm finding you and wearing flip flops!

Back