The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the outing is behind us and the next outing has been announced. I heard through the grape vine that the Morgan Cup Tour Rep might be a little more active as we get closer to the event.

Great news! August will be here before we know it. Going to be a hot weekend, which will be good prep for TMC.

So my course opened today. Yippie. I have a tournament tomorrow morning and then I get booted from the house from 4:30 tomorrow night. Sounds like a good time to practice my short game and putting. ;)

I'll report in again tomorrow after my practice sessions.

Tappin to the oldies

haha classic moment from the outing, long knocker wins the wedge contest. Good stuff! Good luck tomorrow.

Now that the outing is behind us and the next outing has been announced. I heard through the grape vine that the Morgan Cup Tour Rep might be a little more active as we get closer to the event.

This is awesome news. Its always good hearing from the Tour Rep as this gets closer and closer.

Our tour rep is amazing! I always look forward to chatting it up with him.

Well, I've determined that I love mountain golf. Had my first round post outing. Went out in 40 with a triple bogey on 9 and came home in even par, for a 76. Dirte' was on fire! 28 putts, but only one birdie, but I was burning edges like ddec!!!

So my course opened today. Yippie. I have a tournament tomorrow morning and then I get booted from the house from 4:30 tomorrow night. Sounds like a good time to practice my short game and putting. ;)

Tappin to the oldies

Have a good time dude. I know you're excited about having your course open.

Got the ok from the doc to start playing again....really excited to get back on the course after a two month layoff.

Got the ok from the doc to start playing again....really excited to get back on the course after a two month layoff.

Nice dude, get out there and start rippin it up

Well, I've determined that I love mountain golf. Had my first round post outing. Went out in 40 with a triple bogey on 9 and came home in even par, for a 76. Dirte' was on fire! 28 putts, but only one birdie, but I was burning edges like ddec!!!

Awesome TC! 76 is a great round, especially with a triple. The birdie putts will start dropping dude.

Great news JRod. Good luck with upcoming rounds/practice sessions.

Thanks guys for the well wishes.... the past couple months have been pretty tough both mentally and physically, I'm just ready to get out there and get to work.

I always love hearing from our Tour Rep!

Tappin to the oldies

Awesome news, tear it up out there.

JRod, that's even better news, I'm glad to hear that your health is improving. I want everyone in these matches to be at full strength when August arrives.

I played a round today in temperatures that were close to 90 degrees south of Boston! I played a course that was 71.7/131, 6640 yards. My score was 43-42 = 85. My score on the front nine would have been much lower except for a quad on a par-3 due to a bunker fiasco. On the back nine, my speed control with my putter completely left me, I had 3 3-putts on that side. 14 putts on the front nine, 21 on the back nine, that's atrocious. My ball-striking is getting better, I had a number of birdie putts that were within 15 feets, I just couldn't get anything to drop. I know where I'm going to spend most of my practice time between now and August.

Glad to hear you have the all clear JRod. That's incredible news for you and I'm sure it's quite the relief buddy.

Great shooting ary! That's a solid round. Throw out that quad and those three putts and you're ripping it up buddy.

Between reading through this thread and drooling over the 2012 outing, I am really looking forward to my lessons starting on Tuesday. I hope to have the game that you competitors have some day soon. And I can't wait to meet everyone at the outing!

JRod thats great you can get out there again, I know how frustrating that can be. TC, great round my burly friend, I haven't been able to swing a club since the outing since I'm falling over just walking but I'm going to try putting tomorrow. Belbin, thats great that your course opened, but seriously, its almost June and your club just opened, thats crazy! Finally, gotta love that tour rep!

Sweet...the anticipation and excitement is definitely is growing now that the outing is behind us.

Nice round my friend. 76 is a good number!

Had an interesting day today. Canceled my second morning appointment and headed to the course. My daughter had a 4:30 lesson scheduled. My wife was bringing her after school. I got to the course at 10:00 am with plans to practice and play. Went with my mind set on reducing the Cornish Game Hen wing to a Robin wing. Went to the side practice area with a full large bucket, and two golf towels and two empty buckets to use as targets. Measured off 40, 60, and 80 yards with my GPS. Hit a third of the bucket at each target. Then chipped all the balls from target to target until they were all around the 80 yard target. Then measured out 100 yard and 120 yard shots and did it again. While doing that my daughter's swing coach, he's my former high school coach, showed up and was giving a lesson.

When I finished hitting I was going to putt. The course was kind of packed, and I wasn't sure I felt like playing as a single and waiting on every hole. Coach and I started talking and he mentioned he was actually thinking about playing some golf. So we squeezed in and ended up playing 16 holes before it was lesson time for Grace. He gave me a playing lesson all day for no charge. I didn't score well, but this swing should rock. He had told me last week that he thought I could make the change in two weeks. It's getting close after basically two days of work. When I get it right I'm hitting the ball higher, longer, and with a baby draw. The young assistant pro was playing behind us, and told me when we got off the course that my swing was looking really good.

The real kicker, though, was he changed my putting stroke. Aye carumba! I feel like Happy Gilmore after he got that baby hockey stick. Never have I rolled the ball so smoothly.

Back at it tomorrow bright and early for men's club. The event is "Throw 'em out." At the end, they toss out the high score on one par 5, one par 4, and one par 3. The last two weeks I was tied for first and second. I'm thinking about winning tomorrow. I may play a second round with my gals in the afternoon.

Kevin

Nice little 76, TC. Even par on any nine is fine, indeed. Nice round by Ary, too. JRod, it hadn't register in my decaying brain that you've been injured. Get practicing. You'll want to make sure you're at your best in case you have to play an older man.

Kevin

Nice round tc. Sounds like dirte was behaving today. I'm officialy not playing until Monday. Nerfny and I just set up our campsite for the weekend. I figured after last week I needed a vacation haha

just tap it in!

That is great news! After demoing the heck out of all things Callaway I am READY to start firing at pins and lowering my scores with some great Callaway equipment. Oh and btw, in the latest TGW catalog there are 2 pages of Callaway apparel and YEAH BABY, I like it a lot! Good looking stuff for 2011 Callaway Golf!

Had an interesting day today. Canceled my second morning appointment and headed to the course. My daughter had a 4:30 lesson scheduled. My wife was bringing her after school. I got to the course at 10:00 am with plans to practice and play. Went with my mind set on reducing the Cornish Game Hen wing to a Robin wing. Went to the side practice area with a full large bucket, and two golf towels and two empty buckets to use as targets. Measured off 40, 60, and 80 yards with my GPS. Hit a third of the bucket at each target. Then chipped all the balls from target to target until they were all around the 80 yard target. Then measured out 100 yard and 120 yard shots and did it again. While doing that my daughter's swing coach, he's my former high school coach, showed up and was giving a lesson.

When I finished hitting I was going to putt. The course was kind of packed, and I wasn't sure I felt like playing as a single and waiting on every hole. Coach and I started talking and he mentioned he was actually thinking about playing some golf. So we squeezed in and ended up playing 16 holes before it was lesson time for Grace. He gave me a playing lesson all day for no charge. I didn't score well, but this swing should rock. He had told me last week that he thought I could make the change in two weeks. It's getting close after basically two days of work. When I get it right I'm hitting the ball higher, longer, and with a baby draw. The young assistant pro was playing behind us, and told me when we got off the course that my swing was looking really good.

The real kicker, though, was he changed my putting stroke. Aye carumba! I feel like Happy Gilmore after he got that baby hockey stick. Never have I rolled the ball so smoothly.

Back at it tomorrow bright and early for men's club. The event is "Throw 'em out." At the end, they toss out the high score on one par 5, one par 4, and one par 3. The last two weeks I was tied for first and second. I'm thinking about winning tomorrow. I may play a second round with my gals in the afternoon.

Kevin
Good stuff Kevin, keep at it man. I love when new swing changes start to really take effect and the shot you were hoping for starts to develop. I'm getting back out tomorrow morning for my first round post outing. It should be fun and hopefully I can get some good shots off, I was up and down all weekend at the outing so I'm ready for a good steady round.

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing from my tour rep:)

Well I finally played my home course today, the month of May has been terrible for rain, and the course doesn't dry out very quickly, hence the late opening. It was the "Mens Opening" and it was a Shamble format. Basically that is where everyone hits off the tee, then the team selects the best drive, then everyone finishes the hole with their own ball. You then take the 2 best "NET" scores, and that is what the team gets on the hole. We had 4 players, and one from the A, B,C and D "flights", every player had to account for at least 3 tee shots. Our handicaps ranged from 8 to 30. Basically get 1 stroke off your score on the X hardest handicap holes. Where X is 80% of your handicap. So in my case I got to take a stroke off my score on the 6 hardest holes. (8*80% = 6.4, rounded down) Sounds complicated but it really isn't too bad. Our team ended up with a score of 123, which was 3rd place. (5 shots back - wow) It was a fun format because you aren't really punished for bad tee shots.

I ended up making 3 of my own birdies(1 net eagle), and I never lost a ball off the tee. My tee shots were used on almost every hole (8/18), except where we needed to take someone else's. So it was a fun way to start the season.

Since my wife is currently hosting a bachelorette party, I decided to get out of the house for a while. I headed back to the golf course for some practice time. I practiced bump and run chip shots, long and short bunker shots, flop shots, and of course putting.

I took some pics of where I was chipping. I had about 20 balls and here is where
I started (I was chipping/flopping it to the closer pin):

5769283093_e60c2b1daa_z.jpg

These are the results:

5769821004_4099e8ca22_z.jpg

Then I hit some longer chips from the same spot to the further pin. These were the results:
5769823466_79446bd689_z.jpg

I actually hit some pretty close:
Spoiler
5769285131_c5d4914ebf_z.jpg

I must have hit 500 putts out there today, and I think I discovered something. I was doing a forward press with the putter (think Phil) and when I stopped doing that, I was making a lot more putts. Especially the short puts. I ended off the evening by practicing my 6 foot, I made 19/22 6 foot putts. I spent just about 2.5 hours there practicing my short game. The bugs were driving me crazy so I had to pack it in.

This is going to be a "few times a week" thing for me leading up to the MC. We all know I need as much practice as i can get, esp on the greens.

RB

Good job RB! You are definitely putting in the time for the Cup :thumb:

Great stuff RB, glad your course finally opened and you were able to get so much practice in.

I've booked a fitting for Thursday at a TaylorMade Select Fit Cart at an outdoor range at a course outside of Atlanta from a Club Pro who is also a TM Staffer. Given the scenario where I only care about getting fit to TaylorMade equipment, I thought this was the best scenario short of doing the TMPL experience.

I've never had a fitting done beyond hitting into a bay at the PGA Superstore, so I am very excited for this and am interested to know what my numbers are.

I've booked a fitting for Thursday at a TaylorMade Select Fit Cart at an outdoor range at a course outside of Atlanta from a Club Pro who is also a TM Staffer. Given the scenario where I only care about getting fit to TaylorMade equipment, I thought this was the best scenario short of doing the TMPL experience.

I've never had a fitting done beyond hitting into a bay at the PGA Superstore, so I am very excited for this and am interested to know what my numbers are.

That's awesome ad! I think it's a smart move to do something like this, just in case your tour rep hits you up. I'll be curious to find out about your results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back