Hitting fades and draws during warm up

jnug

Reaction score
Discovered something that has been kinda' surprising for me. Decided to see if it is the same for others.

Not sure this makes much sense but since it seems to happen regularly in my case I guess it is what it is. I find that it is much easier for me to get my swing into its groove, hitting fades and draws than hitting the ball straight. I don't know if I am just more comfortable or what but it is much easier for me to release any tension in my arms and get my hips and shoulders flowing smoothly and on tempo. It does not matter which I choose to hit. Frankly once I have loosened up a little with some stretching, I can mix fades with draws and it is still easier to get into my groove than if I am trying to hit straight shots right from the start. Then when I go to hitting straight shots, I find that there is a carry over and my success rate is much higher than if I had not attempted any fades or draws.

Maybe the biased set up to fade or draw makes it easy for me to get into a rhythm. Once I am into a good rhythm it does seem to carry over and hitting straight shots seems easier than it would have been otherwise.

Does anybody else find that hitting fades or draws in the warm up helps them eventually hit better straight shots?

I honestly think its more of a confidence thing. You know how to hit hooks and slices, so you do, with success. Builds the much needed confidence to start the round off good.

Much like hitting 3 foot putts instead of 30 foot putts while warming up. Its nice to see and hear the ball going in the hole and gets the round off in a positive manner.

I just remembered reading a post from somebody a few months ago that was posting on a similar topic. The poster said that he in fact never tried to hit a straight ball out on the fairways. He was always trying to either fade it or cut it or draw it. He did not explain why other than saying that he thought that there was always more opportunity to direct the ball one way or the other than to hit it straight. Now I wonder if for that guy it is mainly a more confident way to get around the course. The biased set up at address for draw or fade does make me feel more confident standing over the ball. I have no doubt about that.

I agree with Thainer, if you're working both ways prior to your round, you should have mad confidence. I
Might try this next time out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works for bubba, right? Its gotta be easier. I think it is. I used to do that, but my swing is in such shambles right now, I dont know where the balls going.
I just remembered reading a post from somebody a few months ago that was posting on a similar topic. The poster said that he in fact never tried to hit a straight ball out on the fairways. He was always trying to either fade it or cut it or draw it. He did not explain why other than saying that he thought that there was always more opportunity to direct the ball one way or the other than to hit it straight. Now I wonder if for that guy it is mainly a more confident way to get around the course. The biased set up at address for draw or fade does make me feel more confident standing over the ball. I have no doubt about that.

I can't really say I ever tried that in a pre round warmup but screwing around on the range I have mixed in fades and draws and it absolutely boosts my confidence if I'm pulling them off. As to the poster you mentioned there is absolutly more opportunity if you are fading/drawing the ball into various holes than hitting a straight ball but only if you can do it more successfully than hitting straight shots and I'd say only very low handicappers can actually pull it off day in and day out.

If I am not thinking about hitting for a draw (closing the face) then I will push the ball or slice it everytime never straight. Thinking about the shot shape helps me play left. I have not figured out how to hit a fade without it turning into a slice.

Works for bubba, right? Its gotta be easier. I think it is. I used to do that, but my swing is in such shambles right now, I dont know where the balls going.

Did go to the Thp outing?

I can do it if I commit to it and don't end up screwing up some part of the set up at address and some clubs are harder to work with than others. I have to get swinging freely for anything good to happen. In my case I think hitting draws and fades results in less pressure on the shot as well. As long as I don't slice or hook, I have basically succeeded and for whatever reason I won't slice or hook hitting fades or draws. The set up at address for fade or draw just makes you feel so confident (a rarity on the golf course or range especially for me). Funny it is much easier for me to slice or hook trying to hit a straight ball. Although as I said earlier there is a carry over effect for me. Once I have gotten into my groove it is easier for me to hit straight shots as well.

One thing I should own up to is that for me every day is a new day on the course or range. It matters not what I did yesterday. I have to find my groove today. So anything that gets me to that spot fast is a big advantage to me. What does tend to carry over from one day to the next is the things I have to do to successfully get into a groove. However I could have a really good day one day and come out the next almost feeling like I am going to wrap the club around my own neck!

Very early in any session I work on getting my arms out of the shot and keeping my weight from getting on the outside of my back foot. A few one handed swings are very helpful for me in that regard. It is difficult to swing with anything but your shoulders if you are only gripping the club with your left hand (I am right handed).

Yes I did. Why?

Just wondering how you played, I'm sure your swing isn't that bad ;-)

I find that I accidentally hit fades and block it left in the first few swings. I can't do it on call but I know it does help me hit straight balls later on because I'm correcting my swing till they both (fade/block it left) dwindle.

I rarely play a straight ball off the tee, with the exception being on the par three's. Most of our par four's and five's are layed out where you need to be up one side or the other to have best angle to the green. My natural shot with driver/3 wood is a fade so that comes easy, but I have to change grip, stance and ball position for a draw but it is there when needed. Dead straight with driver/3 wood would be the hardest shot for me. Irons is another story.

Fades during warm up for me are not a good sign, usually because it's a push fade. I do draw the ball a lot easier during warm up, which usually leads to straight shots during course play.

Back