I have been playing regularly with my son since he was 4 and that will teach you to deal with distractions. Even if his doesn't do anything you know he's there and apt to run right into your swing if he sees a butterfly or a frog that interests him.

+1, bro. My son is 4 now, and taking him to the course is an adventure and adds at least 5 strokes to my game (9 holes). But, hey, it is still fun and I wouldn't miss it for the world. I just try extra hard to keep him out of the way and still when others are swinging.

Poplar in San Mateo Ca is parked right next to a shooting range. The closest hole is a par 3, its tough to hit your shot when gun fire erupts from just over the hill.

Callaway Golf's Par 3 course in Las Vegas is right next door to Mccaren airport. Try hitting a shot when a plane is trying to land right over your head. Its loud.

A number of the courses north of Vegas are nearby Nellis Airforce base. I was playing Paiute one time when they must have been doing practices or training or something. Jet planes have dog fights over head. Helicopters flying in formation so low I waived at the guy hanging off the side.

But the distraction I wish I could have expeirenced the most is at Las Vegas Golf (the muni). Sigfried and Roy apparently used to live across the street. The house still has these huge S & R Letters in Gold on the gate. I asked the lady in the pro shop about that and she said they used to live there with all their lions and stuff. You'ld be teeing off on the 6th hole when a Lion's roar would come roaring over the fence. That would've have been hilarious to expeirence.

I can stop my backswing at the top and start over if I have to without busting a nut so noise in my backswing doesn't really bother me. By the time I get to the downswing it is so automatic that a bomb would have to knock me off the tee box to screw up my shot, so no nothing really bothers me too much.

When my father in law, who loves to stand about 12 feet behind my ball when i address it, starts to walk to the cart in the middle of my swing. EVERY single hole. :joy::joy:

I was born hearing impaired so I guess I am fortunate enough to just turn my hearing aids off if I need to. :) I actually did this in high school when I was shooting important free throws. I can still hear with my hearing aids off but is is about 70% quieter. I will say though I have never turned my hearing aids off golfing though.

I was born hearing impaired so I guess I am fortunate enough to just turn my hearing aids off if I need to. :) I actually did this in high school when I was shooting important free throws. I can still hear with my hearing aids off but is is about 70% quieter. I will say though I have never turned my hearing aids off golfing though.

haha that's a good idea.

At a lot of the courses I play the guys mowing are either sadistic or have serious alignment issues as the darn tee-box is always pointing off into the woods :bulgy-eyes: I don't really fall for this too often, but the wife can't seem to help herself.

how about both of my kids trying to talk to me during my backswing with the driver lol

Pretty much what my lad does to me when I take him with me

I'm a little like Happy Gilmore. A little noise does not bother me. If you let every little sound get to you, you have already lost the battle.

Tangential question. How often do you retee and not count the first shot claiming you were distracted?

AFAIK, it is against the rules to do that. You should continue with the ball as it lays even if you got distracted during the swing, but I know some people will retee. I have done it a couple of times when my kid decided to walk into the swing.

I'm a little like Happy Gilmore. A little noise does not bother me. If you let every little sound get to you, you have already lost the battle.

Here's another question I'd pose, does the noise bother you, or is just annoying? I think those are two different things, it might not bother me to the point of it making me mad, but it might annoy me and then I just move on.

I don't mind little noises, whispering , birds etc... I did have an ambulance zoom past at full sound yesterday on a par 3 that I always hit the green or the fringe. I stopped my swing but it seemed to echo forever, I hit while I still heard it in the distance and ended up in the far side bunker. Ugh. Still think the Donkey is the best distraction so far.

Many years ago, a friend told me about a course where they had loud speakers hidden throughout the course. Apparently, this course would play loud scretching sounds of hawks every hour or so to scare off the critters. The first time he heard that noise, freaked him out so bad that he thought a hawk was attacking him.

Here's another question I'd pose, does the noise bother you, or is just annoying? I think those are two different things, it might not bother me to the point of it making me mad, but it might annoy me and then I just move on.

It just does not bother me. I always get surprised by this subject and just how thin so many people's skin is on the golf course when it comes to a little noise. It is golf, not brain surgery.

Tangential question. How often do you retee and not count the first shot claiming you were distracted?

AFAIK, it is against the rules to do that. You should continue with the ball as it lays even if you got distracted during the swing, but I know some people will retee. I have done it a couple of times when my kid decided to walk into the swing.

Mulligans only in practice rounds and then I am hitting 2 or 3 balls off every tee anyway.

Tonight had 2 teeshots ruined by people on the adjacent street yelling fore or honking in the backswing. So funny wow...

Back