Tiger withdraws after 9 holes

I think I am going to start becoming a "Tiger should go back to Butch" homer.

I don't think there's a swing coach out there that can help him right now including Butch. Maybe he just needs a hug!

This is disappointing. I know he is claiming injury but at this point in time (mid thirties) if he's this fragile something is very wrong.

This is disappointing. I know he is claiming injury but at this point in time (mid thirties) if he's this fragile something is very wrong.

Yes, years of un-natural stress on that knee. Plus he's probably not letting it heal as long as he should.

Seems to me his swing change ought to be taking the pressure off that knee then. This tells me we won't be seeing anything from him at all this year.

Today makes me think of Tiger in a whole new light....

Bobby Jones and Byron Nelson retiring shortly after major accomplishments while on top....

Arnold Palmer and Seve Ballesteros being on top for a stretch of years and then suddenly no more majors and rare contention....

Suddenly I am thinking of Tiger's career in terms that may compare more to those great players rather than in terms that compare to Nicklaus.

Well I have to say I think Tiger is done. I think he has no chance to pass Nicklaus. If you don't have good knees you don't have a chance at a good golf swing.

I think he is going to walk away from the game alot sooner than people think

After taking some time ( few months ) to evaluate things, I wouldn't be surprised if he announces his retirement from competitive golf.

He doesn't have the desire that he once had, and his ability has waned for whatever reason--- Combination of physical and personal reasons.

When Tiger was at his peak, one could tolerate his crappy antics but now his demeanor has "gotten old" and his present game can't justify his petulance, or maintain his once-enormous fan base.

Today makes me think of Tiger in a whole new light....

Bobby Jones and Byron Nelson retiring shortly after major accomplishments while on top....

Arnold Palmer and Seve Ballesteros being on top for a stretch of years and then suddenly no more majors and rare contention....

Suddenly I am thinking of Tiger's career in terms that may compare more to those great players rather than in terms that compare to Nicklaus.

Tiger should be one to stop while on top, but I can't see him doing that, even though I wish he would. I can see Tiger being like that cough you just can't get rid of. It goes away for a while, but then comes around once in awhile, just enough to be annoying and on your mind.

I think that period of time when he turned into the hulk version of tiger with his bulky upper body (a time where he may or may not have been using steroids, things that are known to mess up your body long term), really put a lot of excess stress and damaged his body a lot more than he could have ever thought.

Tiger is yesterday's news. I wish the media would realize it so I don't have to hear 50 tweets that he actually entered a tournament.

I think that period of time when he turned into the hulk version of tiger with his bulky upper body (a time where he may or may not have been using steroids, things that are known to mess up your body long term), really put a lot of excess stress and damaged his body a lot more than he could have ever thought.
Boy I sure hope that isn't the case. I'm in Seattle where we had Brian Bosworth. 11 mil for a guy with glass shoulders, we never did get an honest season from him.

Seems some of the Tiger fans are starting to turn. Kind of hard to believe. Come on, the guy's hurt, and he's gone through a lot. Where's the compassion?

Kevin

Seems some of the Tiger fans are starting to turn. Kind of hard to believe. Come on, the guy's hurt, and he's gone through a lot. Where's the compassion?

Kevin

I am pulling hard for him to make a comeback. It is just finally sinking in that it is more likely his day in the sun, as fabulous as it was ... WAS, and it seems increasingly likely his best days and great accomplishments are in the rearview mirror. And the physical crumbling certainly looks a lot like what has happened to other athletes that tinkered with HGH.

Wow, can't believe some of you guys. I hope I never developed a limp around you, I might get taken out back and put down like a lame horse. Now that I think of it a limp might not be needed. Anyways, yes Tigers current actions are dissappointing and I don't feel he will dominate the way he did but I highly doubt retirement is on the tip of his tongue. He's injured mentally and physically but at some point they will both work themselves out. I just don't think though we will ever see the Tiger of old again. I hope Im wrong...........

Anyone else see the Golf Channel guys ripping Tiger and Foley for what they have done since the comeback? And now they (TW/Foley) are blaming Butch for his bad knee troubles!! This is getting crazy!

I thought the swing changes were meant to stop the damage to his knee. Does he still snap his left leg staight at impact? I think he's certainly past his prime. At 35 most pro golfers are headed to the twilight era of their career. I do think he has at least one more major in him, but not 5 more to beat Jack's. Plus like what's been said a million times already, the field is getting much stronger.

Boy I sure hope that isn't the case. I'm in Seattle where we had Brian Bosworth. 11 mil for a guy with glass shoulders, we never did get an honest season from him.

yeah, not good. If we assume that he wasn't on peds (which i think is the case), all the upper body muscle he put on, with all the torque in his swing, it was putting an excess of stress on the ligaments in his leg already. If he was also using peds, then that could (most likely would) make the damage to his knee's that much worse and that much harder to recover/prevent from reinjuring.

I thought the swing changes were meant to stop the damage to his knee. Does he still snap his left leg staight at impact? I think he's certainly past his prime. At 35 most pro golfers are headed to the twilight era of their career. I do think he has at least one more major in him, but not 5 more to beat Jack's. Plus like what's been said a million times already, the field is getting much stronger.

Seems to me guys are having good success well into their 40s. Can Tiger? Only time will tell. Everyone is so mean to him, it has to be very discouraging.

Kevin

I'm sure that if he can heal his knee he will be able to play into his 40's. As to how competitive he'll be who knows. He's not competitive now. The leaderboards aren't really filled with guys in their forties. There are some sure, Phil, Vijay, Ernie, but those are exceptions, not the norm. I just don't think were ever going to see a Tiger Slam again.
Seems to me guys are having good success well into their 40s. Can Tiger? Only time will tell. Everyone is so mean to him, it has to be very discouraging.

Kevin

I highly doubt retirement is on the tip of his tongue.
No me neither, I just thought he was closer to tourney golf than he really is. I've still got faith that he'll break Jack's record and set some that'll stand for quite awhile. I think it's gonna be a whole different game for him though. I know he was recouping from the Master's and all but I think he said he played 9 yesterday and that was it since then. Sounds like he played a week too early. I'm bummed for him, but what a leaderboard, this is gonna be a great tourney.

Kevin
I've got compassion to spare, it's patience I lack. Too much stick not enough carrot.

Something strange is definitely going on with him. Age and normal wear and tear do not explain it.

I agree, it seems odd. Possibly he's not let things heal properly and it keeps coming back or something...:shrug: It'll be interesting to see what all comes of the situation. I'd hope he just needs to get his head straight and let things heal. There's plenty of others that can keep things exciting regardless, I think.

Back