theslflash689

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.3
The local country club had their giant annual demo day, so I went out and hit every iron that I had time to (of course I wasn't keeping track of time so I didn't get to hit everything). These are my personal opinion on different sets. Most demoed with DG s300 shafts.

Ping

Anser Forged- these felt nice, but flew very high for me. Also the sole felt quite wide, which I couldn't get used to.

S56- surprisingly forgiving for a players club. Mis-hits only lost a fraction of the yards that I'm used to losing with my Mizuno t-zoids. Distance was average for a players club, and the flight was high, but not ballooning. Feel is of course cast, but felt nice when hit in the center.

Taylormade

Tour Preferred MC- I wanted to like these, but I guess I was expecting more liveliness in the club. It was accurate, and hit the ball quite high. It's a good club, both workable and forgiving for a TP, but it didn't work for me.

Tour Preferred MB- These felt nice, and quite forgiving for a blade. Ball flight was penetrating, and I also tried them with a KBS tour shaft, which was an awesome combo. Very easy to shape the ball, but I personally couldn't hit the longer irons. Combo set maybe?

Burner 2.0- Holy crap these things are long! But I didn't like the offset and I hit them way too high for my liking. Some courses I play back in Northern California with the wind would not be nice to me if I used these. Great clubs for someone who needs extra distance and height.

Wilson

FG Tour- I had never hit Wilson clubs before this. I was very pleased with these irons. Soft forged feel, easy to get up in the air, and workable, all in one package. These were very high on my list, but for some reason I had a little bit of a fade on them, which is my miss usually. But that can be changed. Easy to see why most tour players play this instead of the blades, they can do all the same things in a more forgiving package.

Cleveland

CG16 Tour- I've heard a lot of good things about these clubs, but they just didn't work for me. I wasn't a fan of the finish, and the look just threw me off. Not much to say about this club.

Mizuno

MP 53 and 63- I thought the 53's would be the perfect club for me. Forgiving, workable, and high flight. But I just couldn't get used to the feel of a slightly larger sole, which I also thought I would like. I spent a good 20 minutes hitting it. I kept going back to the 63's. The ball was a little lower, but the club was still very forgiving for a muscle cut club. I was amazed. The 63 felt for solid behind the ball, and it cut through the turf beautifully. Again however, I couldn't hit the longer irons in the 63. Combo set 53 and 63? The 63 was my second favorite club of the day.

Nike
- first I would like to say that I have never been a huge fan of Nike irons. I just never thought of them as a Club making company (that's just in my mind though). I love their clothes, and as a basketball player, this is the brand I usually go to. But here goes the review.

VR Pro Blade- quite forgiving for a blade. Low penetrating ball flight ( a little too low for me), but very workable too. Solid yet soft feel behind the ball. I actually preferred the mp63 to this club.

VR Pro Combo- Is this love? haha. I swung a lot of irons and kept coming back to these. The short irons kept the ball down, and the mid irons were SOOO easy to hit. Oh MY GOD, and the FEEL. IT WAS AMAZING! haha. I have never hit a club so nice feeling. Forgiving in the long and mid irons, and even when you did mis hit the ball, it still went, but at the same time you know exactly where you missed it. The long irons were almost unfair. The ball came off the face so hot. The short and mid irons cut through the turf like butter. I came back to this booth 3 times and always picked up the pro combos.

Looks like I'll have a new set of clubs soon folks!

You just never know where you'll find the perfect set of clubs for you, so HIT THEM ALL!!!

Great write up Flash, it actually intrigued me to try a bunch of different sets of irons. I have tried nothing else besides my S58's and a few back in the day that I don't remember so I don't know any other feel besides my own irons. Sounds like you had a blast out there demoing all those clubs.

Let us know what you end up with!

Haha, thanks Dent. Yeah, it's looking like it's down to either the mp63 or the Nike VR Pro Combo. Really leaning towards the Nike's though.

great writeup, a man after my own heart, I want the Nike VR Combos too :D

Enjoyed the write up theslflash689, let us know when you pull the trigger on the new Nike's.

If the FG Tours didnt have a fade bias, do you think you would bag them over the others? I found the same thing when i've hit them in the past, the W/S shield medallion gives them extra weight on the toe which makes them prone to a fade. Thats the main reason it wasnt a hard decision for me to go with the Ci9's when i was looking for a new set. If not for the fade bias (*which is my miss too) my decision would have been much harder, the FG Tours are very, very good.

I was surprised with the Nike irons as well. You can tell they are working hard to distinguish themselves from the pack.

Thanks for the writeup, sounds like you found yourself some new forged workability, in the NIkes.

Awesome writeup....!!this is exactly what people need to do to try and find the right set of irons..
Glad you find what you were looking for....

^^^^@smoothduffer: I definitely could picture myself putting in the FG Tours in my bag if it weren't for the fade bias. Also, I'm not sure, but it seemed like the Wilson stamped DG shafts were quite a bit softer than normal DG. Both s300. So maybe a different shaft would have done the job. I also took 3 swings with the Ci9, but not enough to write a review on them, and they are very good clubs as well, just not for my game. Either one you'd be good with. Are you hitting your Ci9's straight?

^^^^@smoothduffer: I definitely could picture myself putting in the FG Tours in my bag if it weren't for the fade bias. Also, I'm not sure, but it seemed like the Wilson stamped DG shafts were quite a bit softer than normal DG. Both s300. So maybe a different shaft would have done the job. I also took 3 swings with the Ci9, but not enough to write a review on them, and they are very good clubs as well, just not for my game. Either one you'd be good with. Are you hitting your Ci9's straight?

Yea the Ci9's are hi, straight and really long with some forgivness. The FST stepless 105 shaft is very good, the two go together like peanut butter and jelly. Im not consistent enough for the FG tours but, i liked them so much i almost made myself believe i was ,LOL.

Great write up. Just another post/review/comment praising the Nike Pro Combos. I'm jealous!

Alright!! Pulled the trigger On the VR Pro combos. I told myself I would wait... But I'm sure some Of you know when you just can't help it. I just absolutely loved them at demo day, unlike any irons I had ever hit before. Should be here by the end of the week. I should have a full on review of them in 2 weeks or so. I'm sooo excited! Haha. Also does anyone know how much it costs to get clubs bent? Might need a degree or so flat.

Alright!! Pulled the trigger On the VR Pro combos. I told myself I would wait... But I'm sure some Of you know when you just can't help it. I just absolutely loved them at demo day, unlike any irons I had ever hit before. Should be here by the end of the week. I should have a full on review of them in 2 weeks or so. I'm sooo excited! Haha. Also does anyone know how much it costs to get clubs bent? Might need a degree or so flat.

Why did you not just have them fit for you at the time of purchase? In most cases it would have been free.

Bought the set of the bay. Couldn't pass up the price. I am in between a standard and 1 flat. My clubs are standard right now.

So I got my irons today. I opened up the 8, 5, and 4 irons. As I was unwrapping the the clubs, I realized that they had sent me R300 shafts instead of S300. I bought the set off of ebay. Hopefully they can correct this. I have 2 options however, get my order right with the s300 shafts, or just put in my KBS Tour's that have been sitting around my house. Suggestions? Already emailed the seller too.

So I got my irons today. I opened up the 8, 5, and 4 irons. As I was unwrapping the the clubs, I realized that they had sent me R300 shafts instead of S300. I bought the set off of ebay. Hopefully they can correct this. I have 2 options however, get my order right with the s300 shafts, or just put in my KBS Tour's that have been sitting around my house. Suggestions? Already emailed the seller too.

Hate the bay sometimes. Get what you paid for I say.

Awesome write up Flash. I love hearing reviews about so many different types of clubs.

Any suggestions on the shaft? I was contemplating putting the KBS in anyway because I'm a low ball hitter, but the Nike's seem to really throw the ball up there, especially in the longer irons. I've never hit that high with my t-zoids, so I never really new what a correct 4 iron flight was supposed to look like. haha.

Back