TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Took the MCs out again tonight. To the range this time. Conditions on the range were pretty good. I started out well and was hitting everything pure. Same 5-10 yard fade which I reported yesterday so I will have to play this fade.

A question was asked when I posted my opening of these irons. What are the distances like between the 6 CB and the 7 MC? Well I don't know exactly what the distances are because they were not marked. However, the range cart was immobile about 170 out (pure guestimate). I hit a 7 and was just short on it. About 5-8 yards maybe. When I hit the 6 though I flew it by about 15 yards which immediately concerned me. I choked down on the 6 and landed it just a few feet behind the target. I really believe a 1* stronger bump in the MCs will be coming in the near future. I may play the summer with then though and see how they play.

Another issue... I've never really sliced an iron. I either push or pull or have the fade as talked about before. I was slicing the 4 iron. I did hit a few very good, but I think it was because I pulled it enough to correct the slice (if that makes sense). This was something I was scared of with these irons. It's strange because, my old irons (TaylorMade Burner LCGs) I hit the 3 and 4 iron really well. Those really didn't have a bigger offset or oversize face. I believe they were actually smaller than these. I may have to look into a hybrid to replace this if that issue continues.

and again I will say it.... very excited to play these irons this year and for many to come.

I hit these irons at GG tonight and I sure do love them. I just wish I had the game to play them. I have vowed to myself that if I can get down to a 10 hcp this summer, I will reward myself with these irons or whatever is out then. I really love the feeling of the ball of the face of these. SO NICE!!!

I hit these irons at GG tonight and I sure do love them. I just wish I had the game to play them. I have vowed to myself that if I can get down to a 10 hcp this summer, I will reward myself with these irons or whatever is out then. I really love the feeling of the ball of the face of these. SO NICE!!!

I completely understand the concern about being able to play them. When I got them I was pretty worried myself...
That said, at a 13 I think you should be able to play them if you really wanted to. Offering them up as a reward does seem like a good motivation ploy!

Best of luck!

I completely understand the concern about being able to play them. When I got them I was pretty worried myself...
That said, at a 13 I think you should be able to play them if you really wanted to. Offering them up as a reward does seem like a good motivation ploy!

Best of luck!

Thanks man. I have the R9s now and they do a good job. I don't think my iron play is what is holding my hcp back anyway. I just want something to work towards and I think these irons will be a plus. I would like to have the options of a little bit of workability. I don't plan on trying to work the ball all the time, but would like to have to option a little bit more than my R9s.

LOVE LOVE LOVE these irons.

Darn near had my first ace (2nd in my lifetime) with them last night. Sun was just high enough to see this land right in front of the hole, go down and out.

LOVE LOVE LOVE these irons.

Darn near had my first ace (2nd in my lifetime) with them last night. Sun was just high enough to see this land right in front of the hole, go down and out.

Nice job Jimmy, but one question remains...Did you make the putt? :laugh:

nice shot Jimmy!

I played a lot over the weekend again with these. Friday I didn't play great but that wasn't the irons fault. I kept coming over the top with my swing which resulted in a lot of pulled shots. Sat I hit the ball real well. If it wasn't for a couple of blow up holes my score would have been real good, but I walked off with an 84. Yesterday was just a day to get my mother on the course so I didn't take anything real seriously. I worked on hitting some clubs that I haven't hit much so I was taking irons off the tee and trying to use the 5 and 6 iron more. I'm 5 iron shot has gotten much more consistant since I first started trying these. I notice yesterday I was really pulling up and hitting them more towards the bottom of the club which cost me some distance. I'm filling it for a buddy in his golf league tonight. I'm looking forward to getting out there 4 days in a row.

Played with a friend I have not played with in a very long while. I showed him my irons while we were warming up for our round on the range. He really seemed to love the look of the cavity and the carbon insert. As I was hitting, he commented about the unique sound of the ball coming off the face.

TapaTalk: More addictive than crack and World of Warcraft.

After a few weeks, numerous range sessions, and about ten rounds of golf I have come to a conclusion that I'm sure many do not want to hear. But honesty is what seperates this site from the rest, right?

I have decided that "my" game would be better off if I keep the MX-300's in the bag. This isn't a knock on the MC's, but I just feel that my scores have headed slightly north with these in the bag. To confirm my suspicions I played six rounds at the local nine hole par 3 Par 29 total w/ 2 245 yard par 4's. I alternated irons between each round and shot as follows.

TM MC: Round 1: 30
Round 3: 34
Round 5: 32

MX-300: Round 2: 31
Round 4: 30
Round 6: 31

I can't quite explain what it is that is making the difference. Maybe just confidence or familiarity with an old friend. I don't know to be honest. The feel that I get and the ball flight are both marvelous with the MC's. The forgiveness is just a hair below my MX-300's but it's there.

One thing I did notice that might seem a little weird on my part is that no matter how well I struck the MC's I never did get that sound from the ball that I did with my MX's. Not coming off the club face, but that sound of the ball hissing through the air. With the MX's my ball sounds like a bottle rocket taking off, but the MC's never really made that sound for me. Dissapointing as I love it.

All in all MC's=great club. Just not great for me.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

After a few weeks, numerous range sessions, and about ten rounds of golf I have come to a conclusion that I'm sure many do not want to hear. But honesty is what seperates this site from the rest, right?

I have decided that "my" game would be better off if I keep the MX-300's in the bag. This isn't a knock on the MC's, but I just feel that my scores have headed slightly north with these in the bag. To confirm my suspicions I played six rounds at the local nine hole par 3 Par 29 total w/ 2 245 yard par 4's. I alternated irons between each round and shot as follows.

TM MC: Round 1: 30
Round 3: 34
Round 5: 32

MX-300: Round 2: 31
Round 4: 30
Round 6: 31

I can't quite explain what it is that is making the difference. Maybe just confidence or familiarity with an old friend. I don't know to be honest. The feel that I get and the ball flight are both marvelous with the MC's. The forgiveness is just a hair below my MX-300's but it's there.

One thing I did notice that might seem a little weird on my part is that no matter how well I struck the MC's I never did get that sound from the ball that I did with my MX's. Not coming off the club face, but that sound of the ball hissing through the air. With the MX's my ball sounds like a bottle rocket taking off, but the MC's never really made that sound for me. Dissapointing as I love it.

All in all MC's=great club. Just not great for me.

Not every club works for everyone(not that they were bad for you judging by those scores).If you are shooting scores like that on that par 29 course with your MX-300's I wouldn't hesitate to keep them in the bag either. How much of the irons do you think attributed to those scores? Did you hit the ball closer to the pin with the MX? I know you touched on forgiveness, how about distance?

Not every club works for everyone(not that they were bad for you judging by those scores).If you are shooting scores like that on that par 29 course with your MX-300's I wouldn't hesitate to keep them in the bag either. How much of the irons do you think attributed to those scores? Did you hit the ball closer to the pin with the MX? I know you touched on forgiveness, how about distance?

In the distance department I would say that I really couldn't tell a huge difference. It was more the way the ball got there. With the MX's it was all carry the whole way, when landing it's like the ball landed in something sticky. Anything from seven iron up was sitting within a foot of it's divot. With the MC's the whole flight was a little more shallow, ball took longer to get up, ball didn't go as high, and ball dropped gradually. I'd say that carry was maybe a half club longer with the MC's, but had a tad too much rollout for me. This is great for my windy conditions, but the rollout is just too unpredictable for me.

I was hitting greens with both sets, but the MX's just seemed to always land (and stay) a little closer to the pin.

Another thing is that my normal miss is just a touch fat. I'd say not hitting the ground and then the ball, but hitting both at the same time. The MX beveled leading edge really saves me from digging into the big ball and messing up the flight of the little one.

I'd attribute most of my scoring to my putter with the MC's actually. As I said before, I was hitting greens with both sets, but the putts I was left with hitting the MC's were notably longer putts. With the MX's my putter was left with much more comfortable distances.

Sidenote: the MC pitching wedge is my favorite chipping club I've used by FAR!

In the distance department I would say that I really couldn't tell a huge difference. It was more the way the ball got there. With the MX's it was all carry the whole way, when landing it's like the ball landed in something sticky. Anything from seven iron up was sitting within a foot of it's divot. With the MC's the whole flight was a little more shallow, ball took longer to get up, ball didn't go as high, and ball dropped gradually. I'd say that carry was maybe a half club longer with the MC's, but had a tad too much rollout for me. This is great for my windy conditions, but the rollout is just too unpredictable for me.

I was hitting greens with both sets, but the MX's just seemed to always land (and stay) a little closer to the pin.

Another thing is that my normal miss is just a touch fat. I'd say not hitting the ground and then the ball, but hitting both at the same time. The MX beveled leading edge really saves me from digging into the big ball and messing up the flight of the little one.

I'd attribute most of my scoring to my putter with the MC's actually. As I said before, I was hitting greens with both sets, but the putts I was left with hitting the MC's were notably longer putts. With the MX's my putter was left with much more comfortable distances.

Sidenote: the MC pitching wedge is my favorite chipping club I've used by FAR!

Colt,
First off- thanks for sharing your honest thoughts and experiences on this thread. It is really appreciated to hear actual thoughts and (in some cases) failures.
I know exactly what you mean about the MC PW. I really love that club and it is slowly replacing everything in my bag from 125 and in. First it took over for a full 52* and it has slowly replaced my 56* around the green. I am still not 100% comfortable with it, but in the name of consistency I keep hearing that a 56* is NOT a good club to chip with (limited margin of error). In my last 2 rounds, if I could have removed poor chips I could have saved 4-5 strokes a round. Any thought to keeping the MC PW in your bag and dropping the MX? That would make for a funny set up, but if it works- more power to you!

I put these babies into play twice this weekend. Friday I attempted to play a local 9 hole, Par 29 course. Honestly, it was the best maintained course I have played in Cleveland this year. The greens were PERFECT and the bunkers played like bunkers. I made it 5 holes before it started to hail (Rain I am ok with, Hail... not so much) but I found it was wonderful for "working" on my swing. Hitting irons on the range is one thing, but having to play to a green and over a bunker really helps to dial in ball flight and learning how the ball is going to react to my swings on a course. I played 2 balls on each hole and by the 5th I was really starting to groove my swing. I will definately be going back before the outing to try and keep that forward momentum going. Holes played from 105-235 so I got to work out all of my irons (and even my 3w!).

On sunday I was able to sneak out of work early and play 9 at my local muni (#4 public course in Ohio!). I was paired with two other singles who were not very good golfers and while I struck the ball well and felt great about my game, I stuggled with my concentration on the greens. 48 (par 35) with 23 putts... I am averaging 16 putts/9 on that course this year. I am still seeing a really high ball flight, but on days like today it was a blessing. I hit a 6i on a 155 yard uphill par 3, and the ball was within 6 inches of it's pitch mark. I am unsure how this will go down in florida but I guess we will find soon enough! I hit 4 GIR which is my best # for that 9 this year.

Walked 18 today after work today. I plan on playing 9 with "the guys" after work tomorrow at the same course.
Round Recap

These irons continue to be an absolute joy to play. I was 7/9 in hitting greens (not always for a GIR) when I had one of these in my hand... including 3 shots that ended up within 15 feet (8i x2, PW... made 2 of the 3 putts). I blocked a 9i right and I pulled an 8i hard left on a par 3. I also hit the 6i 3 times on the first three holes- all three ending up exactly where I wanted them to be.

I am still not seeing the GIR results that other people have been... but I am getting there!
I cannot wait for WPB!

I played another 9 holes in the league tonight, shot another frustrating bogey round of golf. Literally scored bogey on every single hole. My tee game has gone more or less completely at this stage. I hope it went down to WPB and is waiting for me there, but I'm not hopeful.
I had to punch out on 3 of the 4 driving holes. My only good tee ball was the first.

But the MCs continue to perform pretty well for me though. Outside of a couple chunks, I hit them decently, with consistent distance across the board. I did pull a couple left, but no club is going to fix a swing gone awry. All but the 2 chunks were within yards of being pin high on each approach. Too bad 3 of those approaches were not in regulation. Lets just say that my iron game is the least of my concerns right now.

Great to read all of this feedback. I have looked at these irons and cannot wait to try them somewhere. From the sounds of things, they are great clubs. Go TM.

I played another 9 holes in the league tonight, shot another frustrating bogey round of golf. Literally scored bogey on every single hole. My tee game has gone more or less completely at this stage. I hope it went down to WPB and is waiting for me there, but I'm not hopeful.
I had to punch out on 3 of the 4 driving holes. My only good tee ball was the first.

But the MCs continue to perform pretty well for me though. Outside of a couple chunks, I hit them decently, with consistent distance across the board. I did pull a couple left, but no club is going to fix a swing gone awry. All but the 2 chunks were within yards of being pin high on each approach. Too bad 3 of those approaches were not in regulation. Lets just say that my iron game is the least of my concerns right now.

Sounds like you and I have very similar golf games right now. Glad to see you still have consistency in your irons at least!

I hate SethO's tapatalk signature...

G4L, i'm sorry to hear about your driver woes dude. Nothing worse than having them. With your length, perhaps hitting M1 off the tee, just to keep the ball in the short grass?

I also believe that your driver swing is in Fl, waiting for you.

Rx, sounds like you're really starting to come on strong! I believe that hard work, when it comes to golf, pays off. Hopefully, you get all the cylinders firing next week.

Great round Gus! You are gearing up for some payback in WPB (although you played pretty well if I remember correctly).

Sucks about the driver G4L. Being around JB and TC always helps my driver game because I can pick their minds on the range and we usually get it figured out.

G4L, i'm sorry to hear about your driver woes dude. Nothing worse than having them. With your length, perhaps hitting M1 off the tee, just to keep the ball in the short grass?

I also believe that your driver swing is in Fl, waiting for you.

Rx, sounds like you're really starting to come on strong! I believe that hard work, when it comes to golf, pays off. Hopefully, you get all the cylinders firing next week.
TC, that's exactly what I'm thinking. If I can't keep the driver in play, I'll be M1ing PGA National to death. This week when I do hit the range, its going to be to hone in a preshot routine I repeat on the course. The driver swing woes are 99% mental at this point.

Great round Gus! You are gearing up for some payback in WPB (although you played pretty well if I remember correctly).

Sucks about the driver G4L. Being around JB and TC always helps my driver game because I can pick their minds on the range and we usually get it figured out.
Yeah, I'm hoping for a miracle recovery within the week!

Sounds like you and I have very similar golf games right now. Glad to see you still have consistency in your irons at least!

I hate SethO's tapatalk signature...
Yup Gus, sounds like we're stuggling with some of the same issues, mainly our heads!

love to hear from some guys with tp r9 b's and the mc's. I'm looking at both sets as I'm coming from rac lts and can't decide. Everyone seems to love the mc's I've hit on monitor but not significantly different than my rac lts from a stat perspective. I can't help think some technology and better made clubs could help.

Love that thin no offset look of the b's and also curious on shaft thoughts. I'm playing flighted 6.5 rifles and have really liked them. Px 6.0 or kbs tour input?

maybe this was answered already as i didn't go through all 51 pages of threads, is it worth switching from R9TP?

maybe this was answered already as i didn't go through all 51 pages of threads, is it worth switching from R9TP?

For forged goodness and workability? HELLS YEAH!

Played again today.

2 shots with the PW, both within 15 ft (one for birdie, one for par). Made both putts. I had one flyer out of the rough, otherwise the distances are spot on.
This was my first time playing with "the guys" from last year, and they all commented about how much my ballstriking has improved. I didn't put together a great nine (43 on a par 35) but it was a lot of fun.

On the only par 5 I played 3w, 6i to 100 yards. One of the guys who hit driver asked me why I didn't hit driver and why I didn't hit 3w. I told him that I couldn't reach. "What does that matter, you can put it close and then chip on". He then yanked his 3w far left, pitched close, and 2 putted for his bogey. I calmly walked up to my 106 yard shot, put a 3/4 PW stroke on the ball and left it 8 ft short and in line with the cup.

"Hey Joe- THAT is why I laid up"

Played again today.

2 shots with the PW, both within 15 ft (one for birdie, one for par). Made both putts. I had one flyer out of the rough, otherwise the distances are spot on.
This was my first time playing with "the guys" from last year, and they all commented about how much my ballstriking has improved. I didn't put together a great nine (43 on a par 35) but it was a lot of fun.

On the only par 5 I played 3w, 6i to 100 yards. One of the guys who hit driver asked me why I didn't hit driver and why I didn't hit 3w. I told him that I couldn't reach. "What does that matter, you can put it close and then chip on". He then yanked his 3w far left, pitched close, and 2 putted for his bogey. I calmly walked up to my 106 yard shot, put a 3/4 PW stroke on the ball and left it 8 ft short and in line with the cup.

"Hey Joe- THAT is why I laid up"

ZING... consistent smart play will win over risk/reward play most of the time.

RXGus quick ??? How long did it take you to dial in your distance with your new set. (how many range sessions, rounds).

Back